What's new

Why all the hate for shave foam?

not a bad idea, thanks for the suggestion. I will try to just add enough cream for one pass each pass.
Out of curiosity, do you face lather or bowl lather?

Asking, as it might be easier to bowl lather to reach that ideal consistency. I'm not sure how to explain it, but when the lather has that sheen, then you know it's the right proportion of water and soap. And yes, it does take some time to build it. But then, that's all the fun. Perhaps, with more "feel" for it, you can then face-lather, if you so prefer.

I face lather, never could figure out the bowl. I took your advice about it being too dry, and built a lather how I normally do, except I added water for the third pass, and it was much slicker. It was a nice shave, my only complaint would be the blade was about shot, and I haven’t faced lathered in long time so I got a bit of brush burn before the razor ever touched the face. I tossed the blade, and will start tomorrow with the Palmolive and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice friend. I guess we are never too experienced to learn something new.

I face lather, never could figure out the bowl. I took your advice about it being too dry, and built a lather how I normally do, except I added water for the third pass, and it was much slicker. It was a nice shave, my only complaint would be the blade was about shot, and I haven’t faced lathered in long time so I got a bit of brush burn before the razor ever touched the face. I tossed the blade, and will start tomorrow with the Palmolive and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice friend. I guess we are never too experienced to learn something new.
Happy to hear and you're more than welcome 😀

BTW, I concur - we can always learn smth. new. I guess that's why I joined the B&B.

Cheers

Nivea is the best in terms of low cost, mass-market shaving product in a can. They could easily package it in a tube, however, and it would perform just as well. The can just injects a bit of air and makes it lather a little faster.

I like their sensitive skin gel in the can, that's the only reason I use it. But the shaving can thing really started out as more of a post-war marketing gimmick. Before the war, men had been drifting towards using brushless creams (Barbasol was originally brushless).

Nivea is the best in terms of low cost, mass-market shaving product in a can. They could easily package it in a tube, however, and it would perform just as well. The can just injects a bit of air and makes it lather a little faster.

I like their sensitive skin gel in the can, that's the only reason I use it. But the shaving can thing really started out as more of a post-war marketing gimmick. Before the war, men had been drifting towards using brushless creams (Barbasol was originally brushless).
Nivea is a good brand, especially among those readily and inexpensively available in the US. I've tried that sensitive skin gel in the can, and no doubt it's better than most canned foams. But what I really like (for the money) are the aftershave balms. I use all three: 'Moisturizing' in the winter, 'Sensitive' and 'Sensitive Cooling' the rest of the year.

Nivea is also available as a shaving cream in a tube, I use it sometimes. Very nice product, especially for the price. Have a look:

One thousand years from now, our books will have crumbled to dust, and the media our PDF files are on will be unreadable relics, but those cave paintings will still be visible. :001_smile
Sadly, maybe not, thanks to damage caused by modern tourism:

Yes, but we'll also leave this classic by which to be remembered.
1610096231199.jpeg

If our technology continues to progress, then we should be able to view the images forensically if not outright. However, if we go extinct, will it matter? Maybe to an undiscovered non-Terran civilization. :a45::alien:

I just like using a brush. I haven’t use canned goo for years. The first time I used a brush was with a tub of proraso green years ago. It was so much nicer than can foam or gel that I have never gone back. It only takes a couple extra seconds to face lather a cream.

I used their Sensitive balm and the X-Bolt AS. I like the balm, it does not leave the skin feeling greasy and smells nice. The X-Bolt AS smells good but it will stay with you for the day. I prefer an aftershave that smells nice but fades well before I leave for work.

Check this thread: Lidl after shave splashes. Defiance & Fearless...... - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/lidl-after-shave-splashes-defiance-fearless.593273/

They are the same things but use different names in the US.
I apologize for late reply. I always have their balm in my rotation. If I need a quick shave, then electric razor, their balm which is great and followed by cologne, so this way balm's scent won't interfere with my cologne.

It’s ok I suppose I used it for years before seeing the light. But a big soft badger brush full of warm soap and water is just to inviting. Then there’s the variety of the scents, meaning I can have a glacial lemon chill one morning and a light complex Penhaligon’s the next.
Plus whilst the foam lather is quick to use and passable its in no way equal to even the cheapest shaving soaps I’ve used, and a million miles away from the decent ones. Me? Give me hot water, good soap, a big badger brush and a straight razor and I’m happy.

Nivea is also available as a shaving cream in a tube, I use it sometimes. Very nice product, especially for the price. Have a look:

This one is really great. Slickness and cushioning is amazing and the price is rock bottom cheap here. The scent is a pretty strong medicinal one so it may or may not be to your liking.

Unfortunately I no longer see it on sale here anymore. So it sucks I've only used up one tube of this.

More water in a cosmetic product => more susceptibility to spoiling => higher requirements on emulsifiers, preservatives, surfactants, fragrances and other irritants. Less than ideal for people who suffer from allergies, the vast majority of foams and gels are a no-go for me. Unfortunately, this also holds for some shaving creams/ soft soaps. I tolerate hard soaps the best, they also tend to have the simplest formulas.
If I do happen to stumble upon a usable foam, it never works the same as a brush and soap. Whenever I must use foam, I definitely need to shower or apply hot towels; OTOH I can easily shave cold with a soap.

I've got no problem with canned foam. I like using Barbasol menthol. The Edge oatmeal gel I feel is a good product. I have no hang ups about scents and unnecessarily expensive products. You are after all just shaving. A mundane task at best.

I've got no problem with canned foam. I like using Barbasol menthol. The Edge oatmeal gel I feel is a good product. I have no hang ups about scents and unnecessarily expensive products. You are after all just shaving. A mundane task at best.
A Mundane Task? A Mundane Task? At best? Excuse me! 😁😂🤣

Top Bottom