Focus on Vintage DEs for 2 Weeks: 4/1 - 4/15

proxy.php

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday 20210406
Vintage April
Tech Tuesday Deluxe
Razor: Gillette Tech/NEW Hybrid (England) (Charcoal Goods Copper Dimpled Handle)
Blade: Feather (1)
Brush: Heritage Collection Ever-Ready 500E (TNS 26mm Quartermoon Knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Moisturizer: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Bootlegger's Bay Rum
20210406_123625~2.jpg

The Hybrid Tech is an elegant and very effective razor. Truly a pleasure to use. :001_wub:

Excellent shave! :cool:

Although I said I would spend 5 days on each of my vintage razors, I just cannot wait to move on to my first and favorite vintage razor, the Gillette Slim from my birth year. As a technicality, I would like to disclose that my Slim is two years after the cutoff date stated in the original terms. I take some comfort that I personally do not yet qualify as “vintage,” at least in this participation event.

Attempting to keep with the timely vintage theme, I will be using B&M Barrister’s Reserve Classic Shaving Soap, inspired by vintage 60s aftershaves. Not sure which I will pick, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, or Brut.

It has been great fun to see so many well preserved razors.

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_180035288.jpg
    IMG_20210406_180035288.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 5

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Although I said I would spend 5 days on each of my vintage razors, I just cannot wait to move on to my first and favorite vintage razor, the Gillette Slim from my birth year. As a technicality, I would like to disclose that my Slim is two years after the cutoff date stated in the original terms. I take some comfort that I personally do not yet qualify as “vintage,” at least in this participation event.

Attempting to keep with the timely vintage theme, I will be using B&M Barrister’s Reserve Classic Shaving Soap, inspired by vintage 60s aftershaves. Not sure which I will pick, Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, or Brut.

It has been great fun to see so many well preserved razors.

No worries at all. Welcome to Vintage April. :)

How about ABC Monday? Last night I pulled the 1909 ABC out of the display. I haven't used this little guy in several years. Don't let the size fool you, it packs a punch. There were 2 different types of base plates on the ABC sets that had different combs, one was rounded and the other was squared off. This one has the rounded teeth and it is HARSH. If you don't pay attention, it will bite.

2021-04-02 12.06.22.jpg

Here it is next to my 1910 ABC.
2021-04-02 11.45.34.jpg

Here's one of the difference in blade exposure.
2021-04-02 11.47.18.jpg

I've had such a crazy itch to get back to my Feather AC Kamisori...
...so I paired it with a Prewar Tech to (hopefully) stay legal in this thread:

tempImageKmPAE0.jpg

A fresh Feather ProGuard blade went into the Feather razor, and a Wilkinson Sword on use 2 reported for duty in the Tech.

I used the Kamisori for 1.5 passes, and enjoyed it a lot. I had no blood and no irritation on these passes. Those S>N swipes from throat to chin are really quick, easy, and comfortable. I think the Kamisori shines on the jawline and neck, whereas the Tech is easier to use on the face and especially the chin.

I've only used this Tech a few times in total now, and originally didn't find it as comfortable as a postwar, but tonight it was very nice. That said, I pushed the limit of comfort and had a few spots of blood by the end of the shave.

The Tabac, as usual, was great. I don't have anything else that performs as well as it does, but I do have my first tub of Arko arriving tomorrow...

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
After using some unique and hard to find vintage razors for the last week, I am going with a common beater Single Ring OLD Type from 1917. What a fabulous shaver. It’s hard to believe that Gillette got the formula for a safety razor so spot on with their first go-around. Coupled with an 80’s Wizamet and Mogno soap, the shave was a near-BBS result.

5EB2FB2A-FDB1-421F-8301-BDBB5F216CE0.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
After using some unique and hard to find vintage razors for the last week, I am going with a common beater Single Ring OLD Type from 1917. What a fabulous shaver. It’s hard to believe that Gillette got the formula for a safety razor so spot on with their first go-around. Coupled with an 80’s Wizamet and Mogno soap, the shave was a near-BBS result.

View attachment 1247879

Very nice. The Single Ring is a wonderful razor. 😍

Razor: Gillette aristocrat '46-'47
Blade: 7' o'clock green
Brush: Rubberset 400/4
Soap: SW Druantia
After:
Thayers rose petal witchhazel
shave notes: a dull blade and a jab that made me feel mildly of caca means I'm gonna have to give my old standard the Gillette aristocrat '46-'47 another whirl next shave
DSCF9561.JPG

Same shave as yesterday ("double trouble" with a Feather AC and a prewar Tech) ...
... except that I got to try Arko for the first time. I've been looking forward to this soap!
Old-time, inexpensive products just warm the cockles of my heart.

tempImageeDxuWD.jpg

I split the Arko puck in two, like slicing a hamburger bun open, and pressed one half in a slightly larger wooden bowl.
The plastic container this puck comes in wouldn't have been large enough to lather out of without making a big mess.
I hate messes. But I love having packaging to photograph. Both problems solved.

The Arko lathers up nicely. I think it makes a slightly airier lather than Tabac. Others have noted it can be a little drying on the skin overall, and I agree. Nothing a good balm can't remedy.

The scent is potent lemony-cleaner right off a fresh puck, but there's obviously just a nice soapy smell underneath, and once lathered, it's totally just a clean soapy smell to me. It's slick, and touchups are easy at the end of the shave. On this first shave, I didn't find it quite as comfortable overall as Tabac, but I'll try to dial it in a little better.

I used the Kamisori on the neck, jawline, and right under the nose. The Tech took care of my cheeks and the whole goatee area. These razors make a good team, and it's fun to use both.

You guys posting Old Types are getting me thinking about my 1918 pocket edition...that may very well be my weapon of choice tomorrow...

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Tuesday 20210407
Vintage April
Razor: Gillette Goodwill Reverse Stud 175 (Canada) (CG Brass Dimpled Handle)
Blade: Perma-Sharp (4)
Brush: Craving Shaving Debris Handle (PAA 24mm Roswell Grey Hybrid Synthetic knot)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Musgo Real Classic
Moisturizer: Nivea Post Shave Balm + Hyaluronic Acid
Fragrance: La Rive Hitfire Man
20210407_183030~2.jpg

Excellent shave! :cool:

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Today's vintage journey
Soap ? was gifted to me a few years back from @bakerbarber
Brush handle
Gillette 17mm Deluxe oc
Gillette Spoiler bladeView attachment 1248347View attachment 1248348
I finished my shave and I just wanted to say thank you @never-stop-learning for starting this thread 🥰 it gave me reason to remember why I really appreciate and love my vintage Gillette razors .
Today's shave was as good or better than anything modern that I own or have tried . Everything from the razor to the soap worked together for a super comfortable BBS outcome.
The soap was by itself was amazing, if there is anyone that might be able to give me more info about it I would greatly appreciate it. A very sophisticated sent with great lather and slickness .
PXL_20210408_120515648.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20210408_110804068.jpg

Top Bottom