What's new

Micromatic Monday

Taboo Topic...but...
I realize that this thread is solely dedicated to ASR single edge razors, but what about the bastard child that no one seems keen on admitting was spawned from the same ASR loins?
I'm talking about the STAR double edge safety razor. It seems to be the only DE razor ever produced by ASR and is a fabulous razor yet I can’t seem to find any history on it. Does anyone know anything?

Taboo Topic...but...
I realize that this thread is solely dedicated to ASR single edge razors, but what about the bastard child that no one seems keen on admitting was spawned from the same ASR loins?
I'm talking about the STAR double edge safety razor. It seems to be the only DE razor ever produced by ASR and is a fabulous razor yet I can’t seem to find any history on it. Does anyone know anything?
I think there was a Personna clone of the Gibbs adjustable.

There are lots of them on ebay. I’m liking them even more than Techs. They come in ”gold tone” and “silver tone”. I’ve come across two handle types. One is nicely knurled, and the other seems to be an ASR type that might come off an 1912.
95C76503-F1FF-44B1-9E80-505114FC63A8.jpeg

48FBB3E3-70FF-4E7F-98B8-211355DDE10B.jpeg
D3DA0088-10F6-4584-89D1-4231C4153CD7.jpeg
2FA2F4B8-8FEE-4172-AE79-FF30A6262514.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m thinking this may have been a last gasp by star to break into the DE market, but by that time the sleeker looking injector types had taken over the design styling.

Taboo Topic...but...

Earlier on in the life of this thread it was decided that it's just ASR razors that take Gem blades.
So it was never included because it doesn't take a Gem blade. @Flintstone65 has a Gem Zinn :001_wub: that has been excluded because it took a different blade. :c17:And it was the original Gem.
But remember as long as a Gem blade ASR is included in the shave all accompanying razors are welcome.
:jump:

Yes that is true, but I still can’t find any historical references to this ASR razor which is why I’m asking in this devoted ASR thread.
Really nice razor. In Robert Waits' A Safety Razor Compendium, there is a photo and some brief information about this model of ASR razor. The Compendium is available for purchase as a PDF download and has lots of photos and information on vintage razors, common and obscure.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Yes that is true, but I still can’t find any historical references to this ASR razor which is why I’m asking in this devoted ASR thread.
I got turned on by these razors a year or more ago, and almost went on a buying spree, but I ultimately decided I'm more of an SE guy; I also have a lot of DE razors, so while I did do some research on these, I ended up getting distracted by something else. All of that is to say that I did stumble upon a fair number of threads on this razor. I don't recall how many of the following went into the historical background on the razor, but I think some of them at least touched on it.
Star Double Edge Razors
Info on Star DE Razors?
Star Razor Model 100
Star Safety Razor

I apologize if you've already discovered the above links....hopefully it will help others as well. I have to say that after perusing the links, it does kick up my RAD -- thank you, sir! :facep:

As to discussing them here, it's always great to learn of about other razors, and I think it's a "no harm, no foul" kind of situation; but I'd ask that we keep the discussion somewhat limited, just because the forum really does try to keep the sub-forum areas relatively pure (i.e., SE for SE stuff, and DE for DE stuff)....and we don't want to anger the mods.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It will never happen again
As king of the "let me talk about something completely unrelated", I hope it's not "never"....as much as I love our "GEMs", I always learn so much (about lots of stuff) from everyone here; and your posting was absolutely in the right ballpark, just a different team (I'm not sure that metaphor works...it was the same team....different uniform?).

In that vein (and in the interest of rule-breaking/bending), I did shave with my Gem Zinn yesterday -- just a happy coincidence. I love how it looks, and I like Schick Proline B-20 blades, but the teeth on this dude are just sharp. And without blade stops, you're really flying blind as to how far forward the blade "should" ride. The clamp holds the blade tightly, but it definitely shaves like a "razor blade on a stick".....lots of blade feel (or maybe it's the teeth), and lots of sound! My MMOCs (with and without bumps) are pussycats compared to this tiger -- actually they are more like a nurse shark compared to a Megladon (or at least a Great White). And I've also included a snapshot of the pussycat/nurse shark -- just for comparison (and to assuage any thread-watching purists ;) )
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Well, that will take the fun out of it! Teasing Fred about his Micromatic Monday moderation efforts is one of my favorite things. Plus those handles are definitely topical for anyone who spends inordinate amounts of time gazing at the many variations on the ASR handle design. I have purchased to many wild 1912s just to get yet another handle variant.

Also, I'm curious. In a certain unnamed razor, can a modern blade with an unmentionable number of edges be directly loaded, or does it have to be modified to fit over the post extensions?

I hope you know I was trying to provide an answer not scolding you for asking a question.

As king of the "let me talk about something completely unrelated", I hope it's not "never"....as much as I love our "GEMs", I always learn so much (about lots of stuff) from everyone here; and your posting was absolutely in the right ballpark, just a different team (I'm not sure that metaphor works...it was the same team....different uniform?).

In that vein (and in the interest of rule-breaking/bending), I did shave with my Gem Zinn yesterday -- just a happy coincidence. I love how it looks, and I like Schick Proline B-20 blades, but the teeth on this dude are just sharp. And without blade stops, you're really flying blind as to how far forward the blade "should" ride. The clamp holds the blade tightly, but it definitely shaves like a "razor blade on a stick".....lots of blade feel (or maybe it's the teeth), and lots of sound! My MMOCs (with and without bumps) are pussycats compared to this tiger -- actually they are more like a nurse shark compared to a Megladon (or at least a Great White). And I've also included a snapshot of the pussycat/nurse shark -- just for comparison (and to assuage any thread-watching purists ;) )
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

Good to see you posting my friend. And I always love seeing that razor. Glad you included the MMOC so I didn't have to scold you in the thread you run.
I should be around this thread more now that I've sent some very special guest razors home. I had to take every opportunity to shave with them that I could.

20210408_083625.jpg

Razor: Gem Junior Traveller Set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rudy Vey Badger & Blade 2020 Group Buy #4/30
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Shannon's Soaps Botanica
Aftershave: Pinaud Lilac Vegetal
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

This was an awesome shave! The razor fits to the face naturally and cuts closely.
The razor is marked Gem Junior, but unlike my other one, it does have a bar. I am not sure why it was not called the Gem Junior Bar, like some.

20210408_083641.jpg

Top Bottom