What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Enjoyable as usual
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (3)
Smooth and close blade, I enjoy it. Rate it just below my favourites but still is great. This blade felt slightly better in the Timeless over the FOCS, although still really good in the FOCS
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)

Brush: Grizzly Bay “Neptune Hurricane” with 26mm Thäter 2-Band Silvertip (Bulb)

Enjoy this knot, makes a quick and great lather in a bowl with excellent flow through, no hogging lather. Has right amount of backbone and softness of tips. The 45 degree flutes on the handle make it easy to grip and comfy to hold
Lather: Dr Jon’s Hydra
Makes a ton of lather, slightly less slickness and post shave feel from my top performers but still really good. Smells great, if you want nothing but tons of citrus, this is your soap
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Dr Jon’s Hydra Aftershave Tonic

Enjoy the burn of the alcohol that transitions to the cooling of the menthol, feels great
• Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm
Feels great, very hydrating, absorbs well and not greasy
Result:
Fantastic 2 pass shave, 10 / 10. DFS with no cuts, weepers, irritation, redness, tugging, bumps / ingrowns

7410A560-153F-4B6F-A541-CE4D4D14B152.jpeg

I have begun to suspect that I am the only straight razor shaver doing this month's GRUME. This does not speak well of the restraint of my cohort. Could it be that resolving to pass up compelling vintage straights that turn up on auction sites is a bridge too far for most?

I pretty much use straights exclusively nowadays, with an occasional Rolls Razor shave (same technique as a straight). Haven't had any issues with my eyes wandering at straights really at all luckily. Got my modified Gold Dollar, which honestly I can use full time without issue, but has been demoted to backup duty due to my Le Grelot purchase. Whenever I look at auction sites, the razors are either priced too high, or look like too much work! I don't exactly know what to look for yet, and plan on keeping it that way haha. So far I haven't found anything that I think would tickle my fancy more than my Le Grelot. I really fancy it as a 6/8 half hollow and there aren't an abundance of those in existence.

With DE razors, there are a million things out there! Open comb, slants, brass, stainless steel, aggressive, mild, glow in the dark, cooks you breakfast..... with a million different blades out there that all perform differently... straight razors are a lot more straight forward in my opinion and I haven't felt the need to go nuts and experiment like I did with DE.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razors: GC.84 OC, Boots #7, GC.68 SB, Astra SP #8.
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Tried an upper-lip ATG again, but it got tuggy. Using a brand-new sharp blade, in a razor with even less horsepower than the GC.68 SB, might work. Time to bring the Merkur 23C head out of retirement? An R2 plate would qualify, but Rockwells are cumbersome for that job.

Usually I do a very thorough bidirectional XTG, which gets it smooth without any drama, but not for so long.

Apart from that experiment, a good result. BBS face and DFS neck. Post-shave feel is better these days, but I don't know if that is down to MWF, hyaluronic acid, or a combination of using the two.

Still in.

Razorock Nomad
Omega 599
Merkur 42C
Kai (2nd use)
Razorock Nomad AS

Score 10/10

Super impressed with this little brush! It whipped up a great lather (and plenty of it) and felt wonderful on the face putting previous badger brushes I've tried to shame.

The Kai and 42C remain a perfect match and the aftershave was free of any feedback. Just perfect 🙂

IMG_20210407_134531048~2.jpg

Still in and still breaking in the SOC. It's slowly getting there, today I bloomed the Fine soap while showering and loaded it up heavily for a full minute using the Marco Method and I just had enough lather for three passes.

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's Gillette aluminium base plate and ball end tech
- Israeli Red (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
With restraint looking this good, why would I choose to go out? Crazy, huh? But I've done it in the past, and will likely do so again. But not today, anyway. I'm still in right now. Today's shave featured a Gillette Silver Blue blade in the red tip Super Speed razor, Williams Mug Soap and a Simpsons M7 in Manchurian, and St Johns West Indian Lime Cologne.

m7 two.jpeg

Still in.

So after having a discussion with @Contact_vs_Feedback about "No Shave April Ever" I decided to trim my beard back to a goatee. I only had the beard because of my first retirement dinner. It's kind of a tradition since we've never seen each other with beards to show up shaggy to the first one. I retired in December 2019 and the dinner was supposed to be in September of 2020. It was cancelled due to COVID. Now it's on for September 2021 and I've decided my hatred for the beard outweighs the tradition of showing up to the first alumni (retiree) dinner looking like a lumberjack or a Hell's Angel. My profile picture is from June 2020.

Out came the clippers and the biggest guard (20mm) to mow it down to something manageable. It took off more than I wanted for the goatee and mustache but it's only hair and will grow back. Took the guard off the clippers and went bare metal on my cheeks.

I know some of you gentlemen have had beards for extended periods of time. The most wonderful feeling in the world is a great brush with a great lather that first time. I'd almost forgot what it felt like on my face.

I ended up doing a 3 pass on my neck, cheeks and head. I think I might regret that later today but right now I'm enjoying the feeling of the BBS and have no discomfort. I also appreciate the Twig a little more. That actually isn't a bad razor in its own right. It will be interesting how long I can tolerate the blades in the Twig. I used to get rid of blades after four face and head shaves whether they needed it or not and that was using both sides of the DE.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum "Blue" (4) - head shave only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum "Blue" 1/2 blade (4) - face and goatee
» PAA Black Bot CK-6 soap
» Zenith B03-A26-L aka B28 - face and head lathered
» Dickinson's Unscented Witch Hazel
» PAA Black Bot AS
» PAA Black Bot EDC

I smell like I just ate a dozen tangerines. 👍

I have a similar problem if I use the Castle Forbes Lime shave cream, followed by the Castle Forbes Lime after-shave.

Still in.

Today's picture is a bit blurry; I guess it focused on the bristles, or I just messed it up. Still wanted to provide it, because it shows my very first kamisori. It has been through the mill. I dropped it, and really messed up the toe, so badly that I had to grind it off and make a shorter razor. The part I didn't grind off had some significant chips, and getting them out used up a lot of the hollow on the face. It does shave very well, though, and of all of my razors, it feels the most familiar and natural in my hand, because it has spent the most time there. I was happily getting at all my neck hollows like it was the easiest thing in the world. DFS for sure.
1617834385251.png

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in.

So after having a discussion with @Contact_vs_Feedback about "No Shave April Ever" I decided to trim my beard back to a goatee. I only had the beard because of my first retirement dinner. It's kind of a tradition since we've never seen each other with beards to show up shaggy to the first one. I retired in December 2019 and the dinner was supposed to be in September of 2020. It was cancelled due to COVID. Now it's on for September 2021 and I've decided my hatred for the beard outweighs the tradition of showing up to the first alumni (retiree) dinner looking like a lumberjack or a Hell's Angel. My profile picture is from June 2020.

Out came the clippers and the biggest guard (20mm) to mow it down to something manageable. It took off more than I wanted for the goatee and mustache but it's only hair and will grow back. Took the guard off the clippers and went bare metal on my cheeks.

I know some of you gentlemen have had beards for extended periods of time. The most wonderful feeling in the world is a great brush with a great lather that first time. I'd almost forgot what it felt like on my face.

I ended up doing a 3 pass on my neck, cheeks and head. I think I might regret that later today but right now I'm enjoying the feeling of the BBS and have no discomfort. I also appreciate the Twig a little more. That actually isn't a bad razor in its own right. It will be interesting how long I can tolerate the blades in the Twig. I used to get rid of blades after four face and head shaves whether they needed it or not and that was using both sides of the DE.

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum "Blue" (4) - head shave only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum "Blue" 1/2 blade (4) - face and goatee
» PAA Black Bot CK-6 soap
» Zenith B03-A26-L aka B28 - face and head lathered
» Dickinson's Unscented Witch Hazel
» PAA Black Bot AS
» PAA Black Bot EDC
Does this mean you will be updating your profile pic?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in
IMG_20210407_193654.jpg

For tonight's shave I wanted to use the Wilkinson Sword Blue puck because I would really like to 3017 it. I chose the Anbbas pure badger brush as it likes to soak up the lather. Due to the ridiculously poor performance of the soap I decided to use the Yaqi closed comb/Astra SS combo as the mildness of the combination should make for a better shave.
Having endlessly loaded the brush I ended up with a more pasty lather than usual and painted it on much like creosoting a fence. It was better than not using a soap but I suspect that the main benefit to using it was that I could see where the soap still needed to be removed, but there was no cushion and little slickness. Despite this the razor managed to still do an excellent job giving me a BBS on the face and DFS+ on the neck. Thinking about it this may be a way to 3017 the whole puck if I can bring myself to use it more.

Just when I think I might have learned most of the terminology...what on earth does it mean to 3017 something?

Top Bottom