What's new

What did you use today? +Rate the shave 1-10 (10 best)

So today I had some more time and decided to continue the breaking in of the SOC boar, it's second shave. I loaded heavily, it ate some leather and I had to reload after the first pass but not as bad as during the first shave. Otherwise, I hade one stroke with, obviously, too much pressure applied during ATG (or the blade is already getting blunt, not used Personna for a while), so some small blood points but nothing severe. I would rate it a 7/10, as the rest was smooth, close and comfortable.

Razor: Rockwell 6S, WTG/XTG: R4, ATG: R3
Blade: Personna Red (4)
Brush: SOC Boar
Soap: Haslinger Sheep
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive After Shave Balm

Razor: Gillette Ruby Plus
Blade: Israeli Personna (1)
Brush: Omega S-Brush,Synth, 24mm

Soap: Cella , Red

Stetson Aftershave splash

A comfortable and close shave.
Three passes WTG, XTG and ATG.
No nicks or weepers or razor burn.

Have a great day everyone [emoji106]
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
DE SOTD, Wed, April 7th 2021

Razor: Razorock 2nd gen Lupo.72SB- MFG 2021, excellent mid range, very smooth razor for a mid range, carefree shave, excellent results from the Lupo & very happy with this Lupo purchase.
Blade: Polsilver SI(5) excellent blade, Sharp & smooth with good longevity.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco- nice citrus scent, good lather qualities, good post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Chianti's 24mm- excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: 10/10 or CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17: Excellent shave with my RR 2nd gen Lupo .72 + Polsilver SI blade.
DE SOTD. Wed, April 7th 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay & think safe in these times!

Pre-shave (in order of use)
- Jack Black Deep Dive Glycolic Facial Cleanser
- Fine Accoutrements L'Orange Noir (Classic base)

Post-shave (in order of use)
- Omega Alum Block
- Simple Kind to Skin Alcohol Free Soothing Facial Toner
- Hylamide Low-Molecular Hyaluronic acid
- The Ordinary Buffet Serum
- L'Occitane Eau De Cedrat After Shave Cream Gel
- Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturiser

Tools
- 50's Gillette aluminium base plate and ball end tech
- Israeli Red (2)
- Semogue SOC Taj Boar

Shave Rating: 8.5/10
Another excellent shave with my 50s Tech, even better than the first shave with it as the Israeli Red has sharpened up a bit. It's very light so you have to remember and watch your pressure but it gives a nice, close shave.
I'm still only three shaves in with my new SOC so it still has that new boar scritch to it and the ability to make lather disappear but it's getting slowly better with each shave! I bloomed the Fine soap while showering and loaded it up heavily for a full minute using the Marco Method and I just had enough lather for three passes. I've been bowl lathering with the brush and letting it dry on days I'm not shaving to help break it which also seems to be helping it along its way.
Overall a nice, close and comfortable shave with no irritation and minimal feedback from the Alum block.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Rating: 10/10
Pre-Shave: Cold water splash - Pinaud Clubman Classic Barber Shave Cream (Brushless - applied by hand.)
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber
Brush: Je&Co Tuxedo Synthetic (Night Sky)
Razor: RazoRock Lupo SS SB .72 w/WCS SS handle
Blade: Wizamet Super Iridium (1)
Post-Shave: Cold water splash - Bay Rum-scented Witch Hazel - Lucky Tiger aftershave tonic
AS: Sir Henry's Estate Black & Tan

Excellent shave, DFS/BBS, four-pass with touch-ups. No blood or injuries. Tried a Wizamet Super Iridium. Good blade, definitely sharp and smooth enough for me. Still, to date, Gillette Silver Blue and Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum reign supreme in the new Lupo SS razors. One more shave with the Wizamet tomorrow morning and I'll move on to a different blade. Sir Henry's Island Estate Black & Tan is a mix of Sandalwood, Tonka and another floral...slightly woody, slightly floral, slightly sweet. Again, consistency with this product is on the thin oily side...not really a true alcohol splash watery consistency. But it's also not a balm consistency. My skin absorbs it quickly and the scent is lasting. I'm giving Sir Henry's Island Estate a thumbs up.

Happy Shaves, Everyone.

Kit 20210407.jpg

Soap: Arko
Razor: Le Grelot 6/8
Strop: Tony Miller Steerhide
Brush: Omega boar
Aftershave: Witch hazel / Clubman

A nice shave after a nice run. Weepered the adams apple a little bit but styptic took care of it and the little bit of irritation seemed to subside fairly quickly.

9/10

Wed shave 1.jpg

Pre
Face wash with Neutrogena Liquid Facial Soap
Soap
PAA Big Shave S’West
Brush
Simpson Duke 3
Bowl
Captain’s Choice Copper
Razor
Wolfman WR2 SB 1.05
Blade
Personna Lab
Aftershave
Thayers WH & PAA Mysterium Serum
Fragrance
Versace The Dreamer
Rating
10/10.
Comments
My last shave with this CK-6 soap. It has given me some fantastic lather: slick and rich. Last shave with the Personna Lab, too, after five shaves. I probably could have pushed the blade – but I have so many blades in my supply there is no need to push it. A great shave.

Wednesday morning shave; I made it to Brooklyn last night after some flight delays, arriving just in time for the grandsons to go to bed. I went out to the local Rite-Aid this morning to pick up some aftershave and hair stuff. They had Clubman! I also bought a box of Entenmann's donuts- my daughter and son-in-law love those.

Waiting for me here was a new razor- Occam's OREN, with Feather Pros, and some other kit that arrived not opened yet. I'll be in the East for at least six weeks; for a civilized trip I just had to order some other soaps. I brought my MWF stick and an ARKO stick.

Shave was just fine- 9/10, no mishaps, and not bad at all for a jet-lagged me and my first go with a new razor. I forgot how much I enjoy New York water for shaving, :

Pre-shave- shower
Razor- Oren (new)- seems nice; a little different feel than the original Occam's; I'll need a week of shaves to compare them properly.
Blade- Feather Pro (1)
Brush- Yaqi 22mm two-band boar
Soap- MWF homemade stick- lather was great
Post-shave- Pinaud Clubman

Sorry, no photo today, tomorrow I'll do one.

First time I saw lots of people wearing two masks today. On the street even the homeless folks seem to wearing masks.

Nice. We haven’t been able to make it to NY in awhile thanks to moving then covid. They are starting to slowly open up there I think. Will you be making it into the city? Perhaps Pasteur Pharmacy? I plan on checking it out next visit. Have a nice trip and good shaves!
Wednesday morning shave; I made it to Brooklyn last night after some flight delays, arriving just in time for the grandsons to go to bed. I went out to the local Rite-Aid this morning to pick up some aftershave and hair stuff. They had Clubman! I also bought a box of Entenmann's donuts- my daughter and son-in-law love those.

Waiting for me here was a new razor- Occam's OREN, with Feather Pros, and some other kit that arrived not opened yet. I'll be in the East for at least six weeks; for a civilized trip I just had to order some other soaps. I brought my MWF stick and an ARKO stick.

Shave was just fine- 9/10, no mishaps, and not bad at all for a jet-lagged me and my first go with a new razor. I forgot how much I enjoy New York water for shaving, :

Pre-shave- shower
Razor- Oren (new)- seems nice; a little different feel than the original Occam's; I'll need a week of shaves to compare them properly.
Blade- Feather Pro (1)
Brush- Yaqi 22mm two-band boar
Soap- MWF homemade stick- lather was great
Post-shave- Pinaud Clubman

Sorry, no photo today, tomorrow I'll do one.

First time I saw lots of people wearing two masks today. On the street even the homeless folks seem to wearing masks.

Razor: STAR - Gold Tone DE
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Carrot Handle Synthetic(26mm)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Mikes Natural Soaps - Wild Honeysuckle
Aftershave: Extro Cosmesi - Licorice and Magnolia
Additional Care:
Barrister & Mann - Terrorade
1BA8C4ED-CD98-4656-8ABA-4D60FAAE9D40.jpeg

Shave Rating: 10/10
Magnolia, Honeysuckle & Liquorice ... Chilled
Oh yummy. What wonderful pleasures for my face today. For some reason I just felt like some southern blossoms lightly chilled. Absolutely perfect, and the liquorice brings it all together. Sheer post shave joy.
...And what would a shave be without an excellent razor. I have yet to have had a bad shave from one of my STAR DE razors. Right at the very top of my razor list. I’ll never be without one!

I finally got my vaccine yesterday...and swapped out my winter tires...and an oil change.

Razor: Above the Tie M2 open comb with Atlas barber pole handle
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (4)
Brush: RazoRock Barber 24 synthetic
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Rating: 10

This morning's excellent shave on one day of growth. Perfect BBS after WTG/XTG/ATG passes, and no nicks or irritation.

After feeling cutting resistance during shave #3 with this GSB blade yesterday in the RazoRock GC .84P and feeling stubble 6 hours after the shave, I decided to test the GSB blade in the ATT M2 razor today to see if the blade is finished. While it appears that I obtained a closer shave today with the ATT M2 (I should know by 3 PM for sure), I also experienced some cutting resistance vs. what I recently experienced with an Astra SS with a similar number of shaves in this razor.

While a sample size of 1 is inconclusive, so far, it seems that the Astra SS is sharper than the GSB blade for me. I installed the Astra SS blade from this razor in the RazoRock GC .84 P, so next shave, I am curious to see the results from that razor and blade combo.

20210406_080754.jpg

Razor: Merkur Progress
Blade: Personna Lab Blue
Brush: Simpson Commodore X2 Best Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
Rating 9.5.

Wizamet Wednesday!
I was initially turned off by the dainty handle on this thing, but it produced a really nice shave. The soap paired well with the AS too. Win win. Can’t pin down the scent. Peachy?

Pre: Proraso white
Soap: RazoRock Amici
Brush: PAA StarCraft
Blade: Wizamet
Razor: Star 6NX

127BC69C-45A7-45A3-A181-63EB45712C65.jpeg

BB970201-86AE-4A9F-A76D-7ED8CB31BD3D.jpeg

Actually this was yesterday afternoon after work, on a 36-hour beard:

Gillette Slim from '62/ Personna Red blade (4?)

Arko soap in stick form

AP Shave Co. synthetic tuxedo brush

Clubman SR aftershave, Assured lotion, Clubman powder

I arrived home from work and decided to plane myself off. Everything went . . . Well, I'll get to that. I washed my face with the Arko, applied it, face-lathered it up, and set the Slim to 6 to start. And then -- the feel of blade, even with the grain, was not what I've come to expect from this razor/blade combo. Normally I toss the blade after 3 shaves, about what I do with this razor in a month. But I'd decided to go on and see if I could stretch the life of my blades.

In a word, no. Yes, I got planed off (pass 1 WTG at 6, pass 2 ATG at 5, a cleanup pass at 4), and had no irritation or nicks. But the blade did not slice anywhere as cleanly as a Personna should (and usually does when new and on the next 2 shaves). I finished feeling . . . aware . . . that I had just swept sharp steel over my face. I tossed this blade, cleaned the razor, and loaded a new one ready for later this month.

Verdict: 9.0.

Top Bottom