What's new

Debating on trying the Veg.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I store mine in this, but it hasn't helped either...

proxy.php

To be fair; you can use the Veg in combination with other aftershaves that smell better ...

Osage Rub + Veg = Frozen Veg. I can tolerate that on a hot day.

AA

I like it. it smells like lilac and powder, plus a little fresh grass. It’s not an easily recognizable scent, because lilac isn’t as obvious or pungent as rose or peonies or fruit. It’s delicate, and very traditional. It might smell a little like grandmas bathroom back in the day. But she kept that place clean and I like my grandma.

On a hot Summer day, have a great Williams mug soap shave with a Gillette old type or a Gem /Ever ready razor.

Wear a white cotton shirt and khaki trousers. Grease your hair a wee bit and set it just right

Wind your watch a few turns and set the time right. Slip in to your shiny shoes smelling of fresh polish

Roll up your sleeves, pick up the veg splash it all ove your clean shaven face , neck and any place else you want to.

Step out of the door smelling fresh and confident to take on the world.

That's the veg calling ...

Oh and don't forget a handkerchief and face mask;)

Last edited:
Sometimes I think people equate “pee” to the veg because it is reminiscent of some industrial bathroom cleaning chemicals.

I like it. Smells just like the golf course bathroom where I grew up. Very nostalgic for me. A classic. Just buy it. Don’t forget to decant it into a glass container. It DOES make a difference.

In all seriousness I have new and 1960s vintage Veg (in glass of course).

I plan on using the vintage and decanting the new stuff back into the vintage bottle, which will be tricky because the spout on it is tiny and I'm not sure they even make a funnel narrow enough. That'll be an interesting process.

I can tell you the current stuff smells great but probably benefits from being stored in glass. The vintage smells great but significantly different. I interpret it as a washed-out sassafras note with a hint of natural ambergris to give it some lift, mated to a powdery sweet note that smells like a floral musk. On the drydown the impression is medicinal and powdery with a subtle hint of green floral, presumably lilac. Since lilac is nearly impossible to distill, most companies use abstract reconstructions when they take a stab at it. It's beautiful stuff from any era, surprising that it's so controversial!

My sample arrived and using a remote controlled robot I decanted it to a glass dropper bottle.

Unable to resist, and since the spousal unit is working off-premises today, I used it this morning. Went on a bit sticky. If there was a scent *other* than powder I was unable to detect it for several hours. Eventually I sort of forgot about it and now 8 hours later and after a 16 mile bike ride on a warm spring day whatever is left is no longer powder and indeed barely detectable. Certainly not unpleasant. I would say Tabac has longer legs.

I will try again next week and spring it upon my beloved to see if she swoons, makes note, raises an alarm, or stages an intervention.

Top Bottom