What's new

April 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

Rating: 9.5 / 10
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress - EVO Deluxe” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Lime Zest
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Splash
• Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Balm

Results:
2 passes (WTG & ATG)
• Fantastic tropical smelling shave on a sunny spring day
• DFS +
• No cuts, irritation, redness, tugging, bumps / ingrowns
• Almost no feedback with alum
• One small weeper under chin, went away with the alum
• I loaded heavier then I normally do with cream as I hadn’t used this brush with a cream yet but didn’t have a ton of lather after first pass
• London Bridge blade feels great. Close and smooth, just a hair below my favourites Perma-Sharp and GSB

03F34152-400A-41D2-97AC-864F9AE07EC3.jpeg

Still in.

Rating: 9.5 / 10
Razor: Timeless .95 Titanium Scalloped
Blade: Gillette London Bridge (2)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress - EVO Deluxe” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather: Taylor of Old Bond Street Lime Zest
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Splash
• Stirling Coconut Lime Aftershave Balm

Results:
2 passes (WTG & ATG)
• Fantastic tropical smelling shave on a sunny spring day
• DFS +
• No cuts, irritation, redness, tugging, bumps / ingrowns
• Almost no feedback with alum
• One small weeper under chin, went away with the alum
• I loaded heavier then I normally do with cream as I hadn’t used this brush with a cream yet but didn’t have a ton of lather after first pass
• London Bridge blade feels great. Close and smooth, just a hair below my favourites Perma-Sharp and GSB

View attachment 1247193
Gorgeous brush, how do you like the 0.95? Is there anything else you would compare it to?

Gorgeous brush, how do you like the 0.95? Is there anything else you would compare it to?

Thanks, I love the brush too, can’t take my eye off it.

I love the .95, it’s great. I have a coarse beard, my skin isn’t overly sensitive and usually shave every other day and find I get consistent irritation free and close shaves using a slightly steep angle. I got the masters kit with all 3 plates in .95 and find I usually use the scalloped base for every other day and if I shave past every other day, the open comb is great. I don’t really use the solid bar.

Sorry, I haven’t gotten bit by the RAD bug so can’t compare it to many and doubt I will as I love my two razors (.95 and FOCS) and have zero interest in buying any more razors. I started with an EJ DE89 (don’t use anymore) and the .95 is way more efficient and I don’t get any irritation like I did occasionally with the DE89. Recently, my wife got me a FOCS as I had mentioned I wanted to try a slant razor. I enjoy the FOCS, it’s a great razor, especially for the price. I find the FOCS closer to the .95 then the DE89, with the .95 slightly more efficient then the FOCS

Still in.

I just want everyone to know how happy I am that I’m saving money in the GRUMES/Sabbatical. I just tallied up how much money I’ve spent restoring my classic scooters. I’m at $1,500+ deep during the last month in parts, specialized tools, weird parts list manuals plus many hours cursing in my garage to get them road worthy, registered and insured. Thanks to not buying shaving stuff I’ve had a few hundred extra to spend on scooters. Once the replacement front shock arrives for my Vespa I think I’m done for awhile.

//Everything stated above is black humor or maybe sarcasm. I’m too tired to decide.//

On another note, my wife no longer makes fun of my shaving stuff.

Stay strong gentleman.

Last edited:
Still in.

I just want everyone to know how happy I am that I’m saving money in the GRUMES/Sabbatical. I just tallied up how much money I’ve spent restoring my classic scooters. I’m at $1,500+ deep during the last month in parts, specialized tools, weird parts list manuals plus many hours cursing in my garage to get them road worthy, registered and insured. Thanks to not buying shaving stuff I’ve had a few hundred extra to spend on scooters. Once the replacement front shock arrives for my Vespa I think I’m done for awhile.

//Everything stated above is black humor or maybe sarcasm. I’m too tired to decide.//

Stay strong gentleman.

"On another note, my wife no longer makes fun of my shaving stuff" I think I am at that stage as well with my wife, although I would caveat it with mine and say "my wife no longer makes fun of my shaving stuff to my face." :lol:

Still in but no shave today. I'm finally able to go to the barbers this weekend and on the one hand I am looking forward to a much needed trim, on the other hand they have a Muhle shaving display and also stock Catpain Fawcett shaving soaps/creams and Murdoch of London shaving creams and fragrances (I'm a fan of their Black Tea scent) so I will need to be in full on restraint mode this weekend!

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Still in.

Stay strong gentleman.
Have you thought about starting a scooter restraint thread?

Have you thought about starting a scooter restraint thread?

Actually yes but got tripped up on the fact they don’t run without working parts. It would be like owning a DE without blades or a straight edge without sharpening materials.

I just get carried away with my hobbies. I could have chosen just one to restore this year or chosen two models that share tools and parts but I had to jump in with both feet. I’m an idiot.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Actually yes but got tripped up on the fact they don’t run without working parts. It would be like owning a DE without blades or a straight edge without sharpening materials.

I just get carried away with my hobbies. I could have chosen just one to restore this year or chosen two models that share tools and parts but I had to jump in with both feet. I’m an idiot.
Well let's hope you never take up restoring classic Ferrari's

Still in.

I just got done a month ago restoring a solex 2200 I picked up on craigslist, next getting it register if I can and then .... neighborhood cruise (well that might have happened already) .... if only I could get my Lambretta shipped to the US from back home .... then I would have a lot of fun ... once the engine is rebuilt, last I used it , it died on me in Paris ... That was a long push back home and then well never got around rebuilding the engine ... at least it is safely packed in a barn in Normandy ... maybe one day some intrepid explorer will do a barn find episode of its rediscovery

Still in

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Personna Red (2)

Result :

I tried to quit while I was ahead of the game and still failed, the blade is too much for me, I will revisit it once my technic is better I think … next on Personna blue , I can’t say that I am excited nor am I by the Bic Chromium that will come later in the month … oh well maybe the Zaza blade will surprise me.

I just got done a month ago restoring a solex 2200 I picked up on craigslist
----
if only I could get my Lambretta shipped to the US from back home

I think the Solex 2200s are really cool. I think those were only built between 1961 and 1964 (I could be very wrong). Did you stay with original parts or did you modernize for convenience? The only one I've ever seen in person was in Cincinnati OH at the 2009 WKRP Scooter Rally.

I have a friend that's only into Lambrettas. What I've spent pales in comparison to what he spends.

I just get carried away with my hobbies.

LOL. I am the same.

My wife has a good analogy about me. She says I remind her of the velociraptors in Jurassic Park. I will be laser focused/obsessed with a hobby, then turn my head and see something else to focus on. “Shaving, shaving, shaving.... ohhhh, what’s this? A bass guitar/cigar/new pair of boots...” then off I go! 🦖

I have been like that since I was a kid with hockey cards and comic books.

You should see my cigar humidors and wine collection. 😱

Still in!

It's weird, I can only really concentrate on 1 hobby at a time. For a while I was really into paintball, then got into guitar playing. Would buy a few guitars a year, some pretty expensive. When I got into shaving I stopped buying guitars, so in a sense shaving has saved me a ton of money.

Top Bottom