What's new

Semogue quietly revamping the entire line of brushes?

By sheer luck, i made an astonishing discovery. It seems that Semogue is switching to a completely new generation of handles... And not just that. They are adding new low cost horse and pure badger knots (at about €15). I don't link directly to the website nor include prices, because there might be some rule where this would be deemed pubblicity, which is not my intention. Changes that i have noticed:

- The classic wooden handles, as well as the classic acrylic handles are now called "Hereditas" (heritage) and i suspect they are on their way out, since prices are also lower than what i remember (i have bought some of the Semogue brushes in the past).

- The new handles are called "Pharos" (wood and resin variants) and Torga (resin) and Galahad (resin). There is also a new SOC butterscotch handle.

- There are some new cheap grey and black pure badger knots and black horse knot.

- There are some cheap synthetic brushes with black and a few white hair. Given the low price, these look like Muhle black fibres.

- The boar bristles have now an "IT" variant. Searching more, in another website i found the bristles divided in "IB" and "IT". So, i suspect IB= iberian boar and IT=italian boar. Which one is better? Who knows!

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

as.png

If the old wooden and acrylic handles are being phased out, it will be a real shame. I do like the new handles, but the old ones are iconic. The price range surely makes them tempting.I already have more brushes than i need, but a green Pharos or that Galahad look nice to the eye. Ah, what man doesn't have one weakness, right?

But i really hope that will at the very least keep one of the old wooden and one of the old clear acrylic handles in production, for tradition's sake.

Last edited:
Semogue has been updating and adding on to their lines for quite a while. The older Excelsior brushes have been updated under the Heriditas label. Many of us have been using the Torga C3 and C5 for many months now. There's been quite a lot of interest in the SOC with butterscotch or ivory handle. Quite a lot of fans of the mistura (mixed boar/badger) knots. Some folks have tried out the Pharos (which also comes in horsehair), and the Galahad brushes.

Semogue terminology can be quite confusing. IB is imitation badger, IT is exactly the same, except in Portuguese, "texugo" is the word for badger. It means a boar bristle that is processed and dyed with a stripe to resemble badger hair. Then, there are the various grades of boar hair to figure out.

Welcome to Badger and Blade!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thank you, sir!

Semogue has been updating and adding on to their lines for quite a while. The older Excelsior brushes have been updated under the Heriditas label. Many of us have been using the Torga C3 and C5 for many months now. There's been quite a lot of interest in the SOC with butterscotch or ivory handle. Quite a lot of fans of the mistura (mixed boar/badger) knots. Some folks have tried out the Pharos (which also comes in horsehair), and the Galahad brushes.

Semogue terminology can be quite confusing. IB is imitation badger, IT is exactly the same, except in Portuguese, "texugo" is the word for badger. It means a boar bristle that is processed and dyed with a stripe to resemble badger hair. Then, there are the various grades of boar hair to figure out.

Oh dear! So i got it all wrong! I saw the "Summer of Semogue", but it was in "general shaving", so i thought it was a club for people who wanted to shave all summer using only Semogue! :eek2:

I had read about the mistura and i 've found searching about Torga, but i didn't realize this was all known. So IB and IT is the same! Think of that!

Well, then i thank you and i apologize for the thread. I have lost the past discussions and for me this was all new. Dear me, what a mess. So then the Hereditas stays too. This is good news to me.

I thank you again, sir!

It's an excellent thread.

I ended up buying a 1470 after reading it.

I have no doubt it is! I have been reading many excellent threads in this forum the in past years. Which is why i already have a 1470. As well as 1250. And a 1800. And a 830. :scared: The more excellent the threads, the more dangerous they are!

Really liking the keyhole-style "Galahad," which I was previously unaware of ... hmm. Boar, badger and horse versions.

AA

I also like the Galahad in imperial red and the green Pharos. But if the synthetic knot is from Muhle, then, given the very low price, i suspect that the pure badgers are also Muhle knots. Which are of no interest to me.

I have been using horse and synthetic Pharos brushes for almost a year. Not sure that I would call them new.

Very nice brushes BTW. 👍

Oh! Why did i miss all the interesting threads! Is the synthetic a Muhle black fiber? Because i can't think of another knot that is black with a few white fibers in between...

Also, how is the horse? Backbone high, medium or low? Have you tried it in face lathering? Because many people complain that horse hair forms knots when you swirl. Thank you in advance.

I also like the Galahad in imperial red and the green Pharos. But if the synthetic knot is from Muhle, then, given the very low price, i suspect that the pure badgers are also Muhle knots. Which are of no interest to me.

Oh! Why did i miss all the interesting threads! Is the synthetic a Muhle black fiber? Because i can't think of another knot that is black with a few white fibers in between...

Also, how is the horse? Backbone high, medium or low? Have you tried it in face lathering? Because many people complain that horse hair forms knots when you swirl. Thank you in advance.
I haven’t used either in a few months but the horse Pharos has the best horse knot I have used. Much more backbone than the few VieLongs I have tried. Surprisingly, it hardly stunk when I got it. Unlike VieLong. 🤮

I am unsure which knot the synthetic is, but it has more backbone than most of my other synths. The tips aren’t as soft as most other synths as well.

The synth is ok, but I wouldn’t buy it again. If I could only have one horse brush, it would be the Pharos. Is it as good as most top badgers? Nope, but it is excellent for horse.

I haven’t used either in a few months but the horse Pharos has the best horse knot I have used. Much more backbone than the few VieLongs I have tried. Surprisingly, it hardly stunk when I got it. Unlike VieLong. 🤮

I am unsure which knot the synthetic is, but it has more backbone than most of my other synths. The tips aren’t as soft as most other synths as well.

The synth is ok, but I wouldn’t buy it again. If I could only have one horse brush, it would be the Pharos. Is it as good as most top badgers? Nope, but it is excellent for horse.

The horse sounds interesting, i must say.

Alright, the synthetic is Muhle black fibre, you gave the perfect description and the knot is 21mm. It looks like a Muhle, it feels like a Muhle, it is 21mm, it is cheap, it must be a Muhle. Case closed. I wouldn't buy it again either. I bought one because it was cheap and i liked the handle and like you, i don't need a second one. :laugh:

Thank you very much, you have been most enlightening!

Top Bottom