What's new

Barrister and Mann Oceana soap

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
How many of you guys still have any of this soap left. I have some and it's a pretty good bit. I also still have a little of the aftershave. I bought the soap years ago and it's still good. I only use it during the summer months along with other soaps so that's why it's lasted so long.

I bought one of each of the whole Latha line before they were discontinued. Time to get out the Taiga now that the weather is turning.

Picked them up shortly after they were discontinued and still haven't got around to using them. I only shave like 3 times a week so soap lasts me a long time.

I have about 1/3 left of the Oceana soap and slash, same with Taiga. Honestly I just don’t reach for it much as I don’t think the performance is that great.

I have about 1/3 left of the Oceana soap and slash, same with Taiga. Honestly I just don’t reach for it much as I don’t think the performance is that great.

I agree. I think glissant, excelsior, reserve, and soft heart are all considerably better than the latha base. I could be wrong though.

I am almost done a tub and have a full one as backup. I think it has a great scent.

As for performance, it's good. Not the best, not the worst. I think it'd be a great soap for a newbie to wetshaving. Also, it was $10-12 for a 4 oz tub, great value!

I have 4 full tubs of the original Latha version and sure wish B&M would bring this back in one of their newer bases. I lost count with how many compliments I’ve gotten with this and my wife loves how I smell every time I use it.

B&M made your wish come true - since it IS back ( Soft Heart Base), but it's a seasonal soap only...
Yes, they did. I was quite happy to see that. I ordered right away. The performance of the base is definitely better than the original latha, but the scent is just slightly off. Maybe one of the base ingredients is the cause. Not complaining or whining. I’ll probably just continue using the original that I still have left because it just smells better.

The performance of the base is definitely better than the original latha, but the scent is just slightly off. Maybe one of the base ingredients is the cause.
That's a pity. The scent of the original formula was an argument for most to buy this soap (even though the soap base wasn't reputated to be top tier). The fame of the scent gave me reason to buy a tub. Unfortunately I won't be able to compare both scents since I never tried the the former soap. However, if the scent differs... that'll be too bad.

It’s just a very slight difference. The basic scent is still there but there is something extra that isn’t in the original. I have four tubs of the original and two tubs of the new version. Side by side, the difference is consistent and noticeable. I even did a blind test with my wife smelling two tubs each of the new vs original and she too could tell the difference by separating the two blind. I’m sure they’re using the same scent formula so it must just be something in the new base that makes it not as pleasant. It’s still fine. I guess I was just hoping it would be identical and got my hopes up.

It’s just a very slight difference. The basic scent is still there but there is something extra that isn’t in the original. I have four tubs of the original and two tubs of the new version. Side by side, the difference is consistent and noticeable. I even did a blind test with my wife smelling two tubs each of the new vs original and she too could tell the difference by separating the two blind. I’m sure they’re using the same scent formula so it must just be something in the new base that makes it not as pleasant. It’s still fine. I guess I was just hoping it would be identical and got my hopes up.

I figured out what the something extra is in Oceana that changed the scent slightly. This is from Maggards description for the new Diamond soap sample.

“Diamond uses the same modified Soft Heart base that Oceana and Petrichor use, with the added inclusion of beer instead of water, which both smells awesome and makes the lather extra creamy.”

I figured out what the something extra is in Oceana that changed the scent slightly. This is from Maggards description for the new Diamond soap sample.

“Diamond uses the same modified Soft Heart base that Oceana and Petrichor use, with the added inclusion of beer instead of water, which both smells awesome and makes the lather extra creamy.”

I think you’re right! I couldn’t figure out what the extra scent note was and yes I could see it coming from beer. Not sure if that’s the reason but it does make sense. The beer, or whatever it is, doesn't mesh too well. Others may like it. It’s not real strong, but just enough to keep this from being a repeat buy for me which is very disappointing because the original Oceana was my safe daily use for work and hot dates with the wife and I was really hoping to see it come back. It’s too bad it got its scent dna altered.

I think that the Maggard description is meant to convey that the Soft Heart version of Diamond uses beer instead of water, while Petrichor and Oceana are the same Soft Heart base, made with water. B+M Soft Heart Brew-Ha-Ha also used beer instead of water.

Last edited:
I have a new tub of it and never used the previous release. So far I can't get past the smell of seaweed (?) off the puck. I know you really can't tell until a soap gets lathered, but it is supposed to turn into a clean scent, right?

Hi everyone,
Just received a tub of Oceana. The scent of my tub seems to be rather muted (unlathered a 3/10 perhaps). Whilst I didn't notice seaweed @MtView I wonder if the scent (scent strength/complexity) will significantly open up once lathered... your thoughts?

Last edited:
Top Bottom