What's new

Micromatic Monday

The Fellows wanted to also know how it shaved with the proto type, if your still using your ASR razors you should join us on Micromatic mondays.
Thanks for the link and reply.
It shaved very well, was plenty aggressive when opened all the way. As I said in the original thread I experimented by shaving on a low setting then doing a second pass with it cranked wide open and it definitely worked as intended. It was a little top heavy, which probably helped with its efficiency. And I'm still using SE's probably 90% of the time. Yesterday was a Micromatic Clog-pruf with a CVS carbon steel blade and today was a Schick M3 adjustable with a Chick blade.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It shaved very well, was plenty aggressive when opened all the way. As I said in the original thread I experimented by shaving on a low setting then doing a second pass with it cranked wide open and it definitely worked as intended. It was a little top heavy, which probably helped with its efficiency. And I'm still using SE's probably 90% of the time. Yesterday was a Micromatic Clog-pruf with a CVS carbon steel blade and today was a Schick M3 adjustable with a Chick blade.
I see you use Schick injectors Tom and so do I.
For us folks who use injector blades there is some good news around the corner from the Supply blades. Jeff Smith on Youtube who uses all kinds of different razors and is a gentleman received a experimental blade from supply. Supply Razor MFG bought a small factory with the proper equipment to MFG blades and they are coming out with a their new blade(ground differently). Jeff claims they are smoother than the Personna and even the chick blades so good news for Schick injector users.

Razor: GEM Micromatic MMOC (hold flat against face)
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (3)
Brush: Dscosmetic - Red Queen 24mm synthetic
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Le Père Lucien - Rose de Pushkar
Aftershave: Dr. Jon’s Cedar & Rose

90D45809-BD98-453C-A76D-284103246588.jpeg

Don't You Just Hate it When...all you want to do is have a nice shave and can’t find the instructions to your razor anywhere!
Problem solved. Just engrave the instructions right into the cap of the razor.

Todays shave was fine except I couldn’t obtain a BBS on my neck. I worked at it, but gave up before I caused myself some razor burn. I know the bar is set pretty high after my last two insanely perfect shaves with my Schick E2 and PAL injectors using Personna PTFE blades.
When I think about it, my least used GEM has always been the open comb Micromatic, so maybe this OC model just can’t get a proper pass on my neck skin. I’ll pay close attention using this same blade on my next GEM shave with a different model.
I can feel a little bit of post shave “glow” which is a sign that I may have overworked my face a bit on this shave.
Are these "hold flat against face" MMOCs newer or older than the unmarked MMOCs with bumps?

I see you use Schick injectors Tom and so do I.
For us folks who use injector blades there is some good news around the corner from the Supply blades. Jeff Smith on Youtube who uses all kinds of different razors and is a gentleman received a experimental blade from supply. Supply Razor MFG bought a small factory with the proper equipment to MFG blades and they are coming out with a their new blade(ground differently). Jeff claims they are smoother than the Personna and even the chick blades so good news for Schick injector users.
Interesting. I’ve been happy with the Schick and Personna blades but another option is always welcome.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Sooo…

The Ever Ready Shovelheady looks like it can be used shallow ATG like a Micromatic. It’ll take more shaves, but it seems to lurv being used steep ATG and pampers with its comb as makes sweet music with a glistening cRuNcH, crUNCh, CRUNCH, CrUNcH, crunch.

Would it work better with a 0.012” thick stainless GEM-style blade? It’s both a wicked awesome whisker snipper and mildly concerning.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Sooo…

The Ever Ready Shovelheady looks like it can be used shallow ATG like a Micromatic. It’ll take more shaves, but it seems to lurv being used steep ATG and pampers with its comb as makes sweet music with a glistening cRuNcH, crUNCh, CRUNCH, CrUNcH, crunch.

Would it work better with a 0.012” thick stainless GEM-style blade? It’s both a wicked awesome whisker snipper and mildly concerning.
Might be a interesting experiment with the .012 thickness blade, you will need to possibly hone it and strop the blade to get it where you enjoy the blade performance. I haven't had much luck with the old carbon blades, I now have a few stropping tools now so might have retry stropping some day.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday Approaches!!! Not too long ago I picked up a Yankee lather catcher for (what I thought at the time) was a very reasonable price (at least these days). Thinking about Tom (@HoosierTrooper ) and other veterans of the "earlier days" of this hobby, when you could find a $2 Double Ring in the wild and the proprietor would toss in a couple of complimentary "unidentified razor-like objects" like a Gem Zinn or Yankee lather catcher, since no one would pay the $0.50 price. I'm sure it wasn't THAT awesome....but that's how my jealous mind paints it.

Anyway, back to the Yankee. As the predecessor of Ever-Ready, which is one of our ASR brands, I figured I'd sneak it in for a GEMonday. My Yankee has a slight mechanical problem -- it originally had a push button type latch which held the clam-shell body together, and allowed you to open the body up (presumably for ease of cleaning?). So I was disappointed -- and annoyed with myself for not looking closely enough -- but the good news is that it's easy enough to "wire" the body closed, so the razor is completely usable....and I don't really see the need to flip it open for cleaning (although I could take the wire off, if I needed to).

I'm also going to use a different handle than it's "original". There's nothing wrong with the original, but honestly, the ultra-short Lather Catcher handles just aren't my favorite. I prefer something in the low to mid-80's (millimeters, that is), and I'm okay with going as high as 92mm (although that is starting to push the envelope for my preferences).

My last ASR shave was with my MMOC (hold flat against face) and the shave before was a first for my Contour. Both shaves were unimpressive. They were shaves 2 & 3 with a gem PTFE. Shave 1 was with my flying wing, and it was great. I’m not really counting the Contour shave because it was unknown to me. I do have another MMOC that I rarely shave with, perhaps there is a reason.
I think the MM open comb may not be the best choice for shaving my neck. I think for my next shave I’ll go with a Micromatic Clog Pruf and see how that works out. If I get another bad shave, I’ll know it’s the blade and not the razor.
If you don’t count the very early Damaskeene OC, the MMOC was GEMs first step into the open comb concept along with twist to open cap...a very “de rigueur” concept. I think the open comb only had about a fifty fifty fan base so they switched to the solid bar concept and never made another open comb.

My last ASR shave was with my MMOC (hold flat against face) and the shave before was a first for my Contour. Both shaves were unimpressive. They were shaves 2 & 3 with a gem PTFE. Shave 1 was with my flying wing, and it was great. I’m not really counting the Contour shave because it was unknown to me. I do have another MMOC that I rarely shave with, perhaps there is a reason.
I think the MM open comb may not be the best choice for shaving my neck. I think for my next shave I’ll go with a Micromatic Clog Pruf and see how that works out. If I get another bad shave, I’ll know it’s the blade and not the razor.
If you don’t count the very early Damaskeene OC, the MMOC was GEMs first step into the open comb concept along with twist to open cap...a very “de rigueur” concept. I think the open comb only had about a fifty fifty fan base so they switched to the solid bar concept and never made another open comb.
I initially shaved with my Clog Pruf by holding it flat against my face as was the conventional wisdom. I also had unimpressive shaves. With some advice from B & B folks, I experimented with angles and now use a very shallow angle. Great shaves and no nicks or weepers. I do the same angle with my MMs, both open and closed combs and get similar great results.

I initially shaved with my Clog Pruf by holding it flat against my face as was the conventional wisdom. I also had unimpressive shaves. With some advice from B & B folks, I experimented with angles and now use a very shallow angle. Great shaves and no nicks or weepers. I do the same angle with my MMs, both open and closed combs and get similar great results.
I generally go with whatever angle feels right. The sweet spot.
The “hold flat against face” is just a suggestion that happens to be carved into my MMOC’s cap, although I have been experimenting with flat against face, zero pressure shaves with my non open comb GEMs and receiving some wonderful BBS shaves.

Top Bottom