What's new

West Coast Shaving Bad Customer Service

I've been a customer of West Coast Shaving for years. I even visited its store in Chino Hills before the pandemic. I found the workers there to be really friendly and helpful.

However, since the pandemic, WCS's customer service has gone to pot. I encountered issues with some items I purchased from WCS last year. One customer service representative (whom I believe I met in the Chino Hills store before) was friendly and did what she could to help. However, one of her colleagues (from the South Carolina store?) wound up jumping into the mix and provided poor service. I figured it was just a random one-off fluke.

A couple days ago, I noticed WCS had a sale. I placed some items in my cart and proceeded to checkout. WCS also sent me a coupon code that I tried to apply. I had placed just enough items in my cart to qualify for free shipping. But when I applied the coupon code, I no longer qualified for free shipping. I sent an email to WCS asking if I could apply the discount code and still and the free shipping. The friendly customer service rep (the one I believe I met in Chino Hills) replied that she would apply the discount code and free shipping to my order if I requested an invoice. Following her instructions, I did just that, and specifically itemized each item I wanted to purchase. To do this, I had to log in to my shopping cart on WCS and click on each item. Fortunately, this process also revealed everything I wanted was still available.

The next day, the Carolina(?) customer service rep replied that there was only one thing in my shopping cart that was still available. He then proceeded to write out the wrong product as what I wanted, in doing so, he listed a more expensive product I had not wanted. He asked if I still wanted to proceed with the transaction. This bait and switch upsell was not welcome.

Moreover, I logged back in to my WCS shopping cart and found that while two of the items I'd wanted were indeed no longer available, the other items I wanted were still available. I wrote back and informed him I checked my shopping cart and only two of the items were unavailable. Moreover, they became unavailable due to his delaying tactics, which upset me.

Rather than take responsibility for his actions, the Carolina(?) rep's reply was to say his earlier email indicated one of the items I wanted was available.

Needless to say, I canceled my order altogether.

WCS was a good little shop when it was based in Chino Hills. The customer service reps were friendly and helpful. After the store relocated to South Carolina, the service is no longer as stellar. While a few of the Chino Hills reps still work for WCS, good luck if you end up dealing with anyone other than them.

In the meantime, I think I'm done patronizing WCS. I had recommended the store before. I will not do so any longer.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I had placed just enough items in my cart to qualify for free shipping. But when I applied the coupon code, I no longer qualified for free shipping

I loved when customers did this to me when I worked retail. I would tell them to go pound sand when they complained. So at least she tried to work that out for you. You could have gotten someone like me :lol:

I loved when customers did this to me when I worked retail. I would tell them to go pound sand when they complained. So at least she tried to work that out for you. You could have gotten someone like me :lol:
I get that. If she told me it was one or the other, I would've understood. But here, she offered to apply both. I accepted the offer. Then her colleague came along and delayed everything, causing some of the products to become unavailable. Meanwhile, he attempted to pull a bait and switch on me. This latter took an astounding lack of morals and is actually against the law in California.

I have no experience with WCS, but this is why we've come to the age of Amazon.
Amazon got big when they went into full Costco mode with refunds and customer services.
It's probably not even the rep's fault but the higher ups who try to pressure the reps into doing this kind of things.
Hate to be a sheep, but it's 4000 times easier to deal with Amazon since they'll bend over backward to make you happy.

Same.

Not being mean, but asking for shipping to be waived because a coupon brings you below the free shipping threshold on clearance items already discounted 30-40% is unreasonable. If free shipping is at $50, you need to SPEND $50.

I would have told you to buy something else to meet free shipping requirements or take a hike personally.

I wasn't even asking for any special consideration. I didn't appreciate how the second rep behaved so immorally and in blatant violation of California law, especially since WCS does both online and physical business in the state.

Same.

Not being mean, but asking for shipping to be waived because a coupon brings you below the free shipping threshold on clearance items already discounted 30-40% is unreasonable. If free shipping is at $50, you need to SPEND $50.

I would have told you to buy something else to meet free shipping requirements or take a hike personally.
If that had been the response, I would've complied. However, as stated above, that isn't the issue here. The issues are (1) the delay tactic of the second rep that led to a number of items becoming unavailable; (2) his attempted bait and switch; and (3) that he tried to gaslight me by making false claims about what he said in his original email.

I wasn't even asking for any special consideration. I didn't appreciate how the second rep behaved so immorally and in blatant violation of California law, especially since WCS does both online and physical business in the state.
What did they try to “bait and switch“ you on, a shaving soap? Seems like a big waste of time for both you and them in any case. Call the BBB if it bugs you that much.

I bought a $100 shaving brush from WCS as soon as the sale was announced on the weekend. It was over 30% off. I didn’t use coupons or points, paid the shipping and luckily I got my order in quick as their good clearance items always go very fast. The brush was sold out 1-2 min later but I got mine.

I work at a small business where we ship things all over the world. I get what you guys mean about customers trying to game the system a bit but it’s their money and that’s just something that comes with doing business. Giving the customer a simple yes or no is good but telling people to “take a hike” and “pound salt” are the kinds of things that put a bad taste in people’s mouths when it comes to small business. I know it’s difficult and I know it can be frustrating and I’ve gotten upset with customers that try to push the limit on things. But based on what [mention]hairless wonder [/mention] said, he was not doing that. He asked a simple question, got two different answers, then got pushed towards a product he didn’t want, and finally got screwed out of getting what he did want. I wouldn’t be happy either and I’m pretty sure no one else would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What did they try to “bait and switch“ you on, a shaving soap? Seems like a big waste of time for both you and them in any case. Call the BBB if it bugs you that much.

I bought a $100 shaving brush from WCS as soon as the sale was announced on the weekend. It was over 30% off. I didn’t use coupons or points, paid the shipping and luckily I got my order in quick as their good clearance items always go very fast. The brush was sold out 1-2 min later but I got mine.
Does it really matter what the product was? A bait and switch is never okay. The fact that WCS attempted a bait and switch is sufficient.

While I'm glad your transaction worked out for you, my immediate past experiences with WCS are not as pleasant.

That said, I very much appreciated the first customer service rep who tried to work with me. I also appreciated WCS back when it was located solely in Chino, California--even after the store was originally sold from the initial owner.

I work at a small business where we ship things all over the world. I get what you guys mean about customers trying to game the system a bit but it’s their money and that’s just something that comes with doing business. Giving the customer a simple yes or no is good but telling people to “take a hike” and “pound salt” are the kinds of things that put a bad taste in people’s mouths when it comes to small business. I know it’s difficult and I know it can be frustrating and I’ve gotten upset with customers that try to push the limit on things. But based on what [mention]hairless wonder [/mention] said, he was not doing that. He asked a simple question, got two different answers, then got pushed towards a product he didn’t want, and finally got screwed out of getting what he did want. I wouldn’t be happy either and I’m pretty sure no one else would be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly!

I don’t think anyone literally tells customers to pound sand, they just tell them they can’t combine discounts.
OP did ask for special treatment by asking to combine discounts. Having said that you don’t get anything without asking, and if the first CSR said it was ok...

Not something I would’ve asked for (nor would I leave things in my cart)but it does seem like it got over complicated.
Wouldn’t stop me from buying from them though

I don’t think anyone literally tells customers to pound sand, they just tell them they can’t combine discounts.
OP did ask for special treatment by asking to combine discounts. Having said that you don’t get anything without asking, and if the first CSR said it was ok...

Not something I would’ve asked for (nor would I leave things in my cart)but it does seem like it got over complicated.
Wouldn’t stop me from buying from them though
I get where you're coning from, but I wasn't actually asking for special treatment. In the first place, I wasn't demanding the application of both the discount code and the free shipping. Rather, I asked if it were possible. Heck, I would've either added more to my cart or not applied the discount code had I been informed the discount code couldn't be applied along with the free shipping.

Furthermore, on the face of it, WCS's own shipping policies do not state (1) free shipping cannot be applied with a discount code nor (2) the free shipping minimum amount is calculated only after applying all applicable discounts.

Well we wouldn’t be having this conversation if you didn’t ask, but if the first CSR rep allowed it then what the heck. It sounds like maybe the second CSR dislikes dealing with customers, which I can totally relate to. No offence to you personally. Maybe they need a vacation and chill out a bit!
Anyway, what did you order? Cause I got the email about the sale but couldn’t think of anything to buy.
I get where you're coning from, but I wasn't actually asking for special treatment. In the first place, I wasn't demanding the application of both the discount code and the free shipping. Rather, I asked if it were possible. Heck, I would've either added more to my cart or not applied the discount code had I been informed the discount code couldn't be applied along with the free shipping.

Furthermore, on the face of it, WCS's own shipping policies do not state (1) free shipping cannot be applied with a discount code nor (2) the free shipping minimum amount is calculated only after applying all applicable discounts.

Well we wouldn’t be having this conversation if you didn’t ask, but if the first CSR rep allowed it then what the heck. It sounds like maybe the second CSR dislikes dealing with customers, which I can totally relate to. No offence to you personally. Maybe they need a vacation and chill out a bit!
Anyway, what did you order? Cause I got the email about the sale but couldn’t think of anything to buy.
I was going to buy some soaps, a razor, and some aftershave splash. I'd never even considered buying any of them until I found out about the sale.

Yeah, I was familiar with WCS's online presence, originally. I stopped by their Chino store once I realized the store was located there. Though the storeroom and warehouse were small, I really liked the Chino store.

Things seemed to have gone downhill after WCS relocated to Myrtle, South Carolina. I fear the Chino location may even be closed after the pandemic, if it hasn't already been closed.

While I am certain that your recent experience with WCS was frustrating, I would hardly call what they did a "bait and switch". Had you just proceeded to checkout with the items in your cart, I am rather certain that you would have received all of the items that you selected. But leaving the items in your cart while asking about the free shipping gave other folks the chance to buy the items out from under you. Whenever WCS has a sale like this, some items sell out VERY quickly. If anything, I think that the first rep may have done you a disservice by allowing you to think that the items were secured for you prior to paying. Just my two cents...

The waiting isn't necessarily the bait and switch. The bait and switch occurred by the second rep stating he was ready to fulfill my order with a razor I didn't want and had not requested. Keep in mind the razor I had wanted to buy was still available, and in fact, WCS even sent me an ad later telling me it was available.

I'd just like to put in a good word for WCS customer service. I have had several problems on orders, mostly related to thing getting damaged in shipping from South Carolina, incorrect number of items shipped, etc. I was not happy about that, but the reps in California listened to my concerns and made it good. I think they were more than fair with me and clearly cared about my future business.

Top Bottom