What's new

Mild slant razor - am I doing it wrong?

Hi Guys,
long time lurker, I know, but have learned a lot reading around here.

I'm a daily shaver and I've been using DE razors for about four years now. I know that I have very sensitive skin, so the mild range of razors it is for me. My daily driver is a Rockwell 6S on "3", seldom on "4". This works well for me, but obviously it's not a very efficient razor. So I usually go with a "socially acceptable shave" on a one-pass across-the-grain (is that ATG? or XTG?) shave with touch-up. As my beard is rather lightly colored, I can get away with it.

I like the idea of a slant (slicing rather than hacking), so I wanted to try something new and looked around here. I got myself an iKon X3 as that was widely seen as a very mild slant (only one milder is probably the Razorock Stealth, but that's been discontinued for a while now, so I couldn't get one).

What can I say, the X3 is way more efficient than my 6S, one can really feel the slicing action, but it feels like the blade is sticking out half an inch. Like pure blade feel. Experimenting with the angle didn't change that. Sadly, the amount of nicks I get using it (even being really careful with zero pressure) is just not acceptable.

So am I doing something wrong? Any milder slants with a small blade gap out there? Or is a slant just not for me?

Thanks!

I have never tried the X3 but I do have a Merkur 37 and I can barely feel anything when I shave with it. but you may want to play with the angle of your shave. I do know there are more experienced slant shavers out there. Let's hope they chime in.

Hi Guys,
long time lurker, I know, but have learned a lot reading around here.

I'm a daily shaver............So I usually go with a "socially acceptable shave" on a one-pass across-the-grain (is that ATG? or XTG?) shave with touch-up.

Thanks!

I experienced, Merkur 37C, Razorock Germant Slant, Ikon X3 and famous FOCS (Lo Storto).
I still own these Slants.
My suggestions and humble remarks are as follows;

- Ikon X3 is a good starting point
- Merkur 37C is a better starting point
- In stead of accross the grain (XTG) give a try to With the Grain ("WTG"). And touch up if needed. Slant geometry is an efficient solution which allows good results even on WTG passes.
- Use a sharp blade (i.e. Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue or many similars)
- Do not change your brush and soap. Sticking to one product increase your skills on that specific product and you can get better results. Any variable that you add to your routine (new soaps, brushes) will make the things harder.
- Do not use one blade more then 3 times
- Do not apply any pressure, slant geometry requires "zero" pressure
- Make sure your lather is well hydrated (bright enough)
- If your Ikon X3 handle is heavy (mine is a HD Handle - heavy) pay additional attention to not apply any pressure
- Do not go after a Merkur 37C without giving enough time (at least 50 consecutives shaves) to your Ikon X3

The Merkur 37, Razorock german 37, Ikon x3 and maggard are good razors. I find the maggard slant especially mild.
Get a grey head, an MR5 handle and Bob's your uncle !

Thanks for all your answers.
I heard that the Merkur 37C was more aggressive than the X3, so that's why I chose it. Ultimately I'd transfer to a stainless steel razor, which the Merkur isn't, either. And especially to one with tight tolerances, the blade play on the X3 is definitively noticeable.

I forgot to mention that I now use (and always have) the Astra blades. After going through several samplers, those are what I like best. And no, I did not change either brush or soap or anything but the razor. I usually use a blade for a week (5 shaves), but the mess this morning was with the 2nd shave of the blade.

I bought the X3 as a head-only, and tried both handles I currently own (a Maggard MR1 80mm and the slightly heavier 85mm from the 6S). Can't tell much of a difference, though.

But I'll see what the X3 does on a WTG shave. On my 6S that definitively leaves a stubble.

Once I've mastered the X3 (if ever), I was also ogling at a ATT S1. Not sure if that's too aggressive, though, but I heard good things about the ATT in general.

Once I've mastered the X3 (if ever), I was also ogling at a ATT S1. Not sure if that's too aggressive, though, but I heard good things about the ATT in general.

The S1 is my favorite performing slant. I have the X3, 37c, Wunderbar, and FOCS. For me the S1 is the smoothest, most comfortable for daily shaves. The Wunderbar is great for shaving every few days....it' an efficiency monster, yet smooth. The X3 is a good razor, you just have to find the right angle that provides the best shave for you....it can take some practice. All my other slants are more intuitive with shave angles. I can highly recommend the S1 if you're looking for an all stainless slant.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead

I was going to suggest that. I have an S2 and love it. Smoothest razor in the pile.

Another very mild slant is the PAA El Fantasma (or the blue or red versions they put out). It may be too mild, which would be a real rarity for a slant. I've got one of those and I find it needs a shim under the blade to perk it up a little.

If you look around you'll find last years "Tilted Picnic" slant review series in the Brotherhood of Slant Shavers subforum. I'm working my way through this year's version, which you can find posted as a thread here in the DE subforum. I used an X3 last year and while it was OK it wasn't spinning my toque.

I'm finishing two weeks with the RR Stealth now. They're still out there, but you may have to ask around (I did).

O.H.

...What can I say, the X3 is way more efficient than my 6S, one can really feel the slicing action, but it feels like the blade is sticking out half an inch. Like pure blade feel. Experimenting with the angle didn't change that. Sadly, the amount of nicks I get using it (even being really careful with zero pressure) is just not acceptable.

So am I doing something wrong? Any milder slants with a small blade gap out there? Or is a slant just not for me?
You're not really doing anything wrong, but shaving skill with a new razor is developed through muscle memory, which requires practice and making some mistakes along the way.

Think about it this way, the razor is not nicking you, you are nicking you. It's not the equipment, it's the operator. You will learn with practice, it's just that you have not yet developed your muscle memory to use the X3 without getting nicked.

If you want to try another slant, think about the Razorock G37. You can buy the head only for $11. Put it on an HD stainless handle and you've got a great razor, for $11. If you are concerned about zamak, why worry? You could buy 10+ G37 heads for less than an ATT S1 or Razorock Wonderbar. You might go through three heads in your natural lifetime, saving $100 or so.

The Fatip Slant OC costs $30-35 and is all-brass construction. That is another good choice. You really don't have to spend a lot of money to get a good slant razor.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Slightly different technique may be required. Razor blade match could be an issue when using a different/new razor.

I'm working my way through this year's version, which you can find posted as a thread here in the DE subforum. I used an X3 last year and while it was OK it wasn't spinning my toque.

Yes, that was one of the threads that made me get it. I'll experiment further, maybe just not when I have a meeting with the boss in the morning. I also got a great deal on a S1/M1 combo here in the forum, so I'll have even more to experiment with soon.

Well I can't help you yet, but I just ordered the parker 55SL which a lot of people put up as being better and smoother than the 37c. I'll give advice after a couple uses. Otherwise, maybe you aren't holding it properly? If it is marketed as mild, unless its faulty...it'll be mild. I've been told you need to use slants with a steeper angle but again, I can't confirm it myself.

Top Bottom