What's new

What Are You Reading?

Reading two books

- ‘A Fatal Thing Happened on the Way to The Forum’ by Emma Southon

- ‘Bluffing Mr. Churchill’ by John Lawton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Have you read “No more Champagne - Churchill and his Money”? very interesting book for anyone that is interested in Churchill.

Agreed. Larson has a real gift for bringing not only events, but their times to life.

Agreed agreed. If you like Larsen, you may also like Simon Winchester. His natural history report on the 1881 Krakatoa explosion was phenomenal. He also wrote The Professor and the Madman.

Personally, I have finished The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King, and have moved on to Hilary Mantel’s ‘The Mirror and the Light,’ the last book in her historical fiction trilogy about Thomas Cromwell.

Joe Pickett #21

proxy.php

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Started reading my own novel again. It kind of got derailed at the 16th chapter (roughly 35k words in this sparsely written first draft), as I painted myself into a corner somewhat, and I couldn't find my way out of it. It's been sat untouched for about a year. Maybe more.

I'm reading it through again with a view to untangling it, and allow it to flow freely again. I have the ideas now to get it back heading in the right direction, but need to sow the seeds in the earlier chapters, so that they can take root, and grow and weave through the later ones. I hope to have the first draft completed, and have made a decent start on the sequel, by the end of the year.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
The Gentle Art of Tramping by Steven Graham.

A wonderful book of a bygone era. For me it’s principles are relevant to a changing world. I read it as an allegory.

8EC7B98A-DDD8-416F-8095-D8F9626F7002.jpeg

Picked up "Why we sleep" by Matthew Walker on my Kobo Forma to make it an informative Sunday. Very absorbing scientific narration on why a good sleep regimen is more important than diet and exercise regimen. Explains science of how and why we sleep in plain English and builds a case for why we need to get a good night's sleep!

Agreed agreed. If you like Larsen, you may also like Simon Winchester. His natural history report on the 1881 Krakatoa explosion was phenomenal.

proxy.php

Turned into a great read. Another non-fiction writer to add to my list. Learned about the origins of the geology that caused the eruption, and the man whose theories were discounted and years after his death, they turned out to be true. One of many facts and personalities throughout this amazing story that add to it's readability.

I initially started reading the kindle ebook, but on a whim I got the hardcover and found the kindle was severely shortchanging the reader on illustrations; maps, diagrams, drawings - so I finished the last 2/3 with an old fashioned book.

Turned into a great read. Another non-fiction writer to add to my list. Learned about the origins of the geology that caused the eruption, and the man whose theories were discounted and years after his death, they turned out to be true. One of many facts and personalities throughout this amazing story that add to it's readability.

I initially started reading the kindle ebook, but on a whim I got the hardcover and found the kindle was severely shortchanging the reader on illustrations; maps, diagrams, drawings - so I finished the last 2/3 with an old fashioned book.

I’m so glad you liked it! Most fascinating to me was that this process just keeps happening and like Groundhog Day, Krakatoa is fated to keep rising from the depths.

Birds of Prey - Wilbur Smith. It is located in Africa, after all. Although i still can't convince myself about why an African, would call an English young sailor boy "Gundwane". Probably because it sounds cool to westerners... Oh well...

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
This week's escape is Brad Thor's "Use of Force." Looks promising: just started it and Mitch Rapp has already shot some guy in chapter one.

Reactions: GNR
Top Bottom