What's new

A thread that isn't really about "Opinions on Arko Scent"

A quick survey of public restroom urinal pucks between Denver and the Texas Hill Country during this week’s travels:

No Arko.
Some vanilla.
An aquatic cologne scent.
Gain detergent clone.
Lots of puck-free urinals that smelt vaguely of alcohol-and-citrus/musk air-freshening liquids (2000 flushes for urinals?).
A bathroom in Dalhart I’d rather not discuss.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I’m going to attempt to offer a legitimate scent review here. Among positive opinions I’ve read, guys will say it smells like “Ivory” on steroids or “clean and soapy,” and I don’t disagree. But to add a bit to that, I used to call this scent “Turkish barbershop.” I made a homemade soap a couple of years ago with a blend of orange and lavender essential oils. The first thing I thought of when lathering it was Ivory. Then I made an attempt to Arko-ize it. I made another batch with litsea cubeba oil - which has a scent very like lemongrass - instead of orange. It was edging toward Arko, but the pitch of the citrus still wasn’t sharp enough.
I don’t think Arko has essential oils in it. I’m sure it’s all aroma chemicals. Some linalool. Loads of limonene. Citronellol. But there are some herbaceous notes that sharpen it, too, and a light white floral - not clear enough to call it neroli, just faintly floral. It’s actually a bit of a nose-tickling thing, as well. That tingle in the nostrils that I get with Harris Arlington (admittedly a more complex and polished scent). Some musk and a very light woodiness in there too.
Cleaning products have used citrus forever, and light floral notes are in some urinal cakes and so I understand the associations people have with the aroma. But it’s more complex than any urinal cake or floor cleaner, and it isn’t nearly as industrial. Go sniff some Dettol shave cream if you want an industrial cleaner or urinal cake smell.
Arko isn’t refined. It isn’t magical. It’s an Everyman soap that won’t clash with an aftershave or cologne. It has loose associations with barbershops and showers and laundry rooms. I guess they could buy a knockoff fragrance oil that smells like Aventus and dump it in there and charge you $25 for it, but at a buck a stick, a generic Eau de Cologne scent is okay with me. I have always thought it smelled like I wanted Williams mug soap to smell after seeing the picture on the box, which is to say better than the flat citronella scent of Williams.
I would say that if you ever splashed on 4711 as an aftershave, you’d get a similar olfactive experience. Classic. Clean. A bit basic.
But good.
Eureka! Comments that are actually thoughtful and informed.:thumbup1:

Now let's get back to the snide, sarcastic comments . . . ;)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A quick survey of public restroom urinal pucks between Denver and the Texas Hill Country during this week’s travels:

No Arko.
Some vanilla.
An aquatic cologne scent.
Gain detergent clone.
Lots of puck-free urinals that smelt vaguely of alcohol-and-citrus/musk air-freshening liquids (2000 flushes for urinals?).
A bathroom in Dalhart I’d rather not discuss.
This is amazing. Arko Derangement Syndrome has driven this man to the point where he is actually sticking his face in public urinals all along the historic Goodnight Loving Trail.

I wrote earlier that Arko smells like dishwashing powder. That's still sort of true. But I also get a whiff of . . .

. . . wait for it . . .

. . . stale corn chips!
Ha! When I said Arko's scent reminded me of tortilla chips, everyone said I was crazy! Who's crazy now?!? Who's crazy now?!?! 🤡

Attachments

• 80BE85BC-6BBA-4656-9B1E-640A5CA5A1AD.jpeg
    80BE85BC-6BBA-4656-9B1E-640A5CA5A1AD.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 13
Top Bottom