What's new

Shooting the Breeze- general chit chat

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That would gnaw at my psyche too! At least it wasn’t a spent primer! I though legos were bad to step on!!!

My adventure for the day involved a missing squirrel. They won the day today..Popped the little bugger, saw him fall, and... Gone! I hate to waste an animal so I put the rifle up (Thank God!) and started looking. The thought crossed my mind that maybe the carcass was on my neighbors pool house roof as it it right against the fence line and next to the tree in question. It is starting to rain as I hop up on the master craft parked next to said fence to take a look. Nothing. Then I tried to get back down. Left foot on trailer wheel arch, right hand on a tree... and all hell broke loose. Left foot shoots off of wheel arch, right knee goes “crunch”, I head butt said tree/those awesome little green sticker vines, and end up in a position that I’d describe as a cross between downward dog, sunrise position, and child pose. Yeah I don’t know either but pretty much one limb in each position with the remaining limb MIA and wondering where my glasses went. I think I was pushed and the tree rats are taking this personally! 🤣🤣🤣

I have played the "Missing Squirrel Game" many times.

"Got him! 🙂!"

"OH NO! 😔 Stay on our side! Go into The Light, not into their yard!"

Another one zoomed right under these people's house... Well. He mighta made it back to the House-Eater lair.

Luckily we have numerous meat-eating predators after dark.

Personally I hate crows, they raid nests and eat the baby birds. A worthy enemy, it's a rare shot under 40 yards. Crows float, BTW.

Hawks catch and rip apart squirrels in the fork of my neighbor's tree. Horrifies the wife. His, not mine.

AA

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That would gnaw at my psyche too! At least it wasn’t a spent primer! I though legos were bad to step on!!!

My adventure for the day involved a missing squirrel. They won the day today..Popped the little bugger, saw him fall, and... Gone! I hate to waste an animal so I put the rifle up (Thank God!) and started looking. The thought crossed my mind that maybe the carcass was on my neighbors pool house roof as it it right against the fence line and next to the tree in question. It is starting to rain as I hop up on the master craft parked next to said fence to take a look. Nothing. Then I tried to get back down. Left foot on trailer wheel arch, right hand on a tree... and all hell broke loose. Left foot shoots off of wheel arch, right knee goes “crunch”, I head butt said tree/those awesome little green sticker vines, and end up in a position that I’d describe as a cross between downward dog, sunrise position, and child pose. Yeah I don’t know either but pretty much one limb in each position with the remaining limb MIA and wondering where my glasses went. think I was pushed and the tree rats are taking this personally! 🤣🤣🤣
You okay? Any permanent knee damage?

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
You okay? Any permanent knee damage?
I am, Dave. Thank you! I think the knee will be ok. Gonna hurt like the devil tomorrow but no swelling, no bruising, I can put all my weight on it, and have to move it at a pretty weird angle to make it complain. I think it’s just a sprain. Face is a mess (an improvement? 🤣) and TBH I was more worried about my back when I went down. I have some career inducted issues and I want to avoid getting cut on. That scares the devil out of me.

FarmerTan

I am, Dave. Thank you! I think the knee will be ok. Gonna hurt like the devil tomorrow but no swelling, no bruising, I can put all my weight on it, and have to move it at a pretty weird angle to make it complain. I think it’s just a sprain. Face is a mess (an improvement? 🤣) and TBH I was more worried about my back when I went down. I have some career inducted issues and I want to avoid getting cut on. That scares the devil out of me.
Good to hear! I protect my back. I only gots the one!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

That's good. I broke my back in a fall a few months ago and that is not fun. Even the opioids they prescribed didn't fully cut the pain. They gave me a shot of morphine at the ER and I didn't even feel any effect. Finally healed up.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Illegal Immigrants have been trouble since 1585.

trouble with imigrants since 1585 .jpg

I quit smoking cigars a few years ago. Since then, I have repurposed all of my big ash trays. They are now chock full of sharp small things that I don’t want to throw in the trash, spare parts from anything, parts I have found that I don’t recognize and things too small to store without loosing. I am not sure that I have ever benefited from saving all of these, but I will probably never throw them away. I just know, the day I do, I’ll need something in there! Once filled, I empty them into the empty coffee cans, which is another item I can’t seem to throw away. I label them “possibly important parts” and have a dedicated storage space in my shed that is almost impossible to reach....since I never actually get in them..... If nothing else, I figure it will at least be a good practical joke when my son inherits all my crap.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
That's good. I broke my back in a fall a few months ago and that is not fun. Even the opioids they prescribed didn't fully cut the pain. They gave me a shot of morphine at the ER and I didn't even feel any effect. Finally healed up.
Glad you are better! A break scares the crap out of me!!!

FarmerTan

I have a birth defect that effects mostly my cervical spine. Opioids rarely touch back pain. If you have a bad back, it really does effect SO many areas of ones life.

What am I saying! EVERY one has pain; it's the cost of being human. I praise God EVERY day that my knees are good, I've paid a relatively low price for my youthful risk taking ways....

We should ALL have it worse than we do: we are MALES! Right there we lose a few IQ points!

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Or knowing how far them pieces parts fly it reasonably could be from another dimension. I swear I've had parts simply disappear into another dimension.

I have lost the clip to my Remington Scoremaster. It's just gone, I have torn apart everything I can think off. Its a good thing they are readily avaliable as I am about to go to Ebay.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I volunteered for overtime again. I know. I know. Anyway they assigned me another midnight to 8 shift. So another 8-4, go home and rest, work overtime m-8, work my regular 8-4, go home, try to spend time with the family, sleep, and work my regular 8-4 the next day.
I wimped out and called and got excused. My excuse? After 34 years of this my body just can’t do it anymore. 4-12 and then m-8? Sure but not midnight-8 and then 8-4.
I remember the time years ago I worked 5 of those in a row or right after 9-11 when we were working 100 hours of overtime a pay period. Not a problem.
Not anymore.
Y’all stay safe
That is all!!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I avoided overtime my last ten years and took it as comp when I was required to work it. Three years before retirement I had my leave balances very high. I ended up taking off a day or three each month over what I normally took off and then the final two months I worked.

We had the same, but it was called Flex and not Comp. Officers can save up quite a bit of Flex, but it maxes out around the 300 hour mark, then the officer either has to take the flex leave or cash out enough hours to get them below the max again. When officer's leave LE or go on to other departments, some of those departure checks with accrued annual and flex, can get pretty big.

While B&B is admirably open to any of the shaving persuasion I imagine it does skew heavily male. (Not weightist!) What is the equivalent forum for the distaff majority? I imagine something like Bath & Blower. Various sisterhoods. Face of the Day.

Free idea to the B&B management. Could probably reuse the badger part of the logo.

Apologies if this is already going. I was thinking to keep the heat off the steady stream of package deliveries. "Anything for me?" "Uh, not today sweetie."

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While B&B is admirably open to any of the shaving persuasion I imagine it does skew heavily male. (Not weightist!) What is the equivalent forum for the distaff majority? I imagine something like Bath & Blower. Various sisterhoods. Face of the Day.

Free idea to the B&B management. Could probably reuse the badger part of the logo.

Apologies if this is already going. I was thinking to keep the heat off the steady stream of package deliveries. "Anything for me?" "Uh, not today sweetie."

Was this post intended for another sub forum? :)

I had to Google 'Haggis.' :) - a Scottish dish consisting of a sheep's or calf's offal mixed with suet, oatmeal, and seasoning and boiled in a bag, traditionally one made from the animal's stomach.

Didn't sound appetizing, but it's good to know, how to identify what it is. Wouldn't want to eat Haggis unknowingly and think, "man, this unknown stuff is pretty good!" ;)

Top Bottom