What's new

Occam's Razor from Classic Shaving- two-week review

I purchased an Occam's Razor original version that holds Feather Artist Club (AC) blades from Classic Shaving. It's priced today for the plain stainless version at $49 plus shipping. There also may be a 20% coupon available, which for me basically offset the shipping. So, call it $50 delivered to me in Arizona. There are some other finishes gold, rose gold, and black, but I tend to go for basic models, provided function is the same. This review is after two weeks of solid use of the razor; my take on it may change over time and if my opinion changes much, I'll be sure to post an update. I also had blades, so I didn't buy any blades. If you add a pack of blades, it's $15.50 for a pack of Feather Pros. With the 20% off that's not bad, but

The razor is at this link (checked 3/24/21): Occam’s Razor - Single Edge Safety Razor - https://www.classicshaving.com/collections/occams-razor/products/occams-razor. They do make an O.R.E.N. version that has a hollowed out handle and some difference in the depth of the safety guide. I haven't tried the O.R.E.N variation, so my comments relate only to the one in hand.

Basic description: This is a 316 stainless steel, machined razor, that has two basic parts: 1- a top piece and 2- a combination bottom piece and handle. The razor is held together by two small screws. The example I received had no cosmetic flaws. The razor came with three top pieces denoted with one, two or three dots for varying aggressiveness, a blade changing tool, and some paperwork. The two-dot mid-level top piece came installed on mine. To change the top piece the two little screws must be removed and then with the top piece chosen screwed in again. The blade is held in place by two little nubs that protrude from the top piece that fit inside the outer holes of the Feather AC blade. There is also a slot that is formed between the two parts of the razor when attached that the blade slides into.

Why did I purchase Occam's Razor? Simple curiosity- the sort of floating nature of how the blade is held IMO is both clever and intrigued me. Most DE and SE razors holders keep the blade pretty much firmly in place either through the use of pressure, a clamp, or spring of some sort. This razor only holds the blade in place with the two little nubs protruding down from the top piece and importantly within the slot formed by the two screwed together parts. This allows the blade a small amount of float, or travel, as you're shaving.

Also, I have a Cobra Classic razor, also for AC blades, designed by these folks, and it has given me wonderful service. Cobra Classic razors are far more expensive. My Cobra holds the blade in place with a spring pushing up into the bottom plate, so different than this razor. Plus, I figured spending $50 for a 316 stainless, machined razor, that has an unique blade holding system was worth a try.

Pros- Price for what you get is terrific- three top pieces to vary aggression, stainless steel, a tool for changing blades, a pair of extra screws, and in a nice box.

The biggest pro is the shave. I've had really great shaves with the Occam's razor, almost all of them 9s or 10s- out of 10. Smooth, close and mostly wonderful. I had an off shave with Tabac yesterday, but that may just have been me having an off day, or making a poor lather; that shave was still an 8/10. I find when using this razor the bit of float in the blade seems to help me get closer with my XTG and ATG passes with less effort than using the same blade in Feather AC straight holders. Auditory feedback is good. The razor is simple to clean and rinses clean easily under the tap. Overall, this is a really fine razor and gives a wonderful shave with one caveat that I'll discuss below under cons.

Cons- All of these are picky except for the last one- the razor is a little wider than other AC handled holders, but not wider than a straight razor; the blade changing tool has sat in the box and I haven't used it- my fingers work fine; the razor came with no blades, not even a sample blade to try; the top pieces have to be unscrewed and re-screwed to change. As I said, picky points and not important.

Here's the caveat- the only real con I found is that at least some AC blades may not work properly. Feather Pros work great. In fact, I have gotten some the best shaves ever with a Feather Pro using this razor. I think the guarded Feathers and Pro Supers will also work, as they are sold with the razor as options. The outside holes in the Feather Pro blade and the nubs on the razor line up perfectly. However, Schick Prolines P-30 AC blades did not fit properly in my razor. I tried the Proline blades on each of the three top pieces and they all were the same. The holes on the Proline cause the blade to not lay flat on the little nubs. Try as I might, and with a few different Proline blades, I couldn't get the Proline to sit flush- the blades bowed a bit. I had tried a Proline in the razor one of my early uses and it felt way off. So I swapped it to the Feather Pro and have stayed with those. It seems the nubs on the razor are designed and machined to fit Feather blades and the tolerances are such that only Feather blades fit. I have to say this is a bummer, as I generally find the Prolines the smoothest AC blades for many of my holders and was excited to get a Proline shave from this razor. I think maybe with some time and a bit of filing of the blade holes I'll get one to fit, but it's still a big con to me. I'm also not sure whether other AC blades, like Kai Titan Mild or the Protouch MG will fit.

I tried to get a photo of the issue, but with my mobile I just can't get close enough for it to show up well. Oh, here's a pic of the razor in the box with all the accoutrements including two packs of my Feather Pros.
I remember if there's no picture on B&B it doesn't count. Thanks for reading.

PXL_20210324_204532422.jpg

I have the same razor and as well as the Oren version. My Prolines fit into the nubs perfectly. The problem I have with the Prolines in this razor is with the Prolines. My batch of Prolines were not trimmed correctly, and have a tiny piece of metal extending from one of the non-cutting edges. This makes the blades slightly too wide to fit properly and they bend as described. I fix this with a pair of tin snips and cut the offending extra piece of metal off the edge. Then it fits fine.

Fine review of a fine razor. The Oren version is even a little better.

Eric

I have the same razor and as well as the Oren version. My Prolines fit into the nubs perfectly. The problem I have with the Prolines in this razor is with the Prolines. My batch of Prolines were not trimmed correctly, and have a tiny piece of metal extending from one of the non-cutting edges. This makes the blades slightly too wide to fit properly and they bend as described. I fix this with a pair of tin snips and cut the offending extra piece of metal off the edge. Then it fits fine.

Fine review of a fine razor. The Oren version is even a little better.

Eric
Thank you Eric! I actually like the razor more than I thought. It really gives me as good, if not better, a shave with the Feather Pros then I get with the Feather AC holders :001_smile. I've been pleasantly surprised.

I just filed down the ends of a Proline and yes, it seems to fit better. Was there something, once you made it fit, you didn't like like about the Proline shave in the Occam's/OREN? I thought the poor result with the Proline I experienced was the result of the blade not really lying flat, i.e. being slightly bowed when pushed in, thus resulting in an uneven shave. Perhaps not, there's always more to learn. Have you successfully tried and liked any other blades?

I thought about the OREN, but it was twice the price and a little more than I was willing to risk before having any experience with their floating blade system.

Last edited:
Was there something, once you made it fit, you didn't like like about the Proline shave in the Occam's/OREN? I thought the poor result with the Proline I experienced was the result of the blade not really lying flat, i.e. being slightly bowed when pushed in, thus resulting in an uneven shave. Perhaps not, there's always more to learn. Have you successfully tried and liked any other blades?

I have liked the Feather Pros, the KAI PINKs and the Schick Prolines. I usually use the KAI or the Feather blades because I figure it is just a matter of time before I cut my fingers snipping the Prolines. I am very disappointed with the quality control on the batch of 30 Prolines I purchased. I was hoping that only a few of the blades would have the problem with the extra piece of metal on the side, but thus far it is the same with all of the ones I have tried. It seems whatever machine they used to cut the long strip of blades into the final product was not adjusted correctly on the batch I purchased. The Prolines work fine on my aluminum General, but I can see that extruded metal piece poking out the side of the General somewhat like some DE razors have the sides of the blades extend beyond the side of the razor head. Only with the Prolines it is clearly a quality control issue as the SE razors clearly are not designed to have the blade extending beyond one side of the head. I would keep an eye out for sales with the OREN. You may be able to find it at a price near $69 or so. I like the grip better with the OREN, and the reduced length of the safety bar makes for easier shaving the upper lip area. Other than that, the shaves are pretty much quite similar.

Good luck with your Occam's. I think the OREN is my favorite of the SE razors I have tried that uses the Feather Pro type blades.

eric.

I have to agree with Eric. I have an RX, Hawk V3 (Aggressive & OC plates), El Jefe, (had) the ATT1 and Alumahawk.

Not to mention too, too, many DEs.😜

I don't reach for the Oren as much because it is just so darn good. Easy, consistent, reliable. It gives the best shave with the least concentration.

When I want best with ease, it really isn't much of a choice. I love my Rex, but honestly, the Oren delivers a better shave.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hey! I agree with all your points, I have had the oren version for about a month now and havn't gone back to my de's yet, its a wonderful shave. I am using the proguards but will try the kai mg's next. When you load your blade, do you kinda have to flex the blade down a bit to move it past the nubs? The razor blade then seems a little bent, but doesn't seem to affect shave from what I can tell... or am I imagining this? *squints* my eyes are not what they used to be sorry. Regardless I love it.

When you load your blade, do you kinda have to flex the blade down a bit to move it past the nubs? The razor blade then seems a little bent, but doesn't seem to affect shave from what I can tell... or am I imagining this?
You do have to flex the blade ever so slightly to load them. They should spring back to be flat after they are loaded on to the nubs. If the blade appears even slighly bent, perhaps the blade is being flexed too much.

eric

My batch of Prolines were not trimmed correctly, and have a tiny piece of metal extending from one of the non-cutting edges. This makes the blades slightly too wide to fit properly and they bend as described. I fix this with a pair of tin snips and cut the offending extra piece of metal off the edge. Then it fits fine.

I thought I would add a photo of the tiny piece of metal that extends on the non-cutting edge of my Schick Proline and prevents me from using it in the Occam's or OREN razors without modification. I have also added a photo of the modified blade after I have used the tin snips. Sorry for the quality but all I have is a phone and it doesn't seem to have a macro option.
Prior to modification:
IMG_20210325_123219485.jpg

After modification (sorry for the rotation, the phone is doing it automatically)
IMG_20210325_130744854.jpg

eric

Hey! I agree with all your points, I have had the oren version for about a month now and havn't gone back to my de's yet, its a wonderful shave. I am using the proguards but will try the kai mg's next. When you load your blade, do you kinda have to flex the blade down a bit to move it past the nubs? The razor blade then seems a little bent, but doesn't seem to affect shave from what I can tell... or am I imagining this? *squints* my eyes are not what they used to be sorry. Regardless I love it.
Yep, push it down a bit in the middle to fit in place. I'm not sure if its bent, but I do believe it flexes during the shave, which is what makes it so comfortable.

The RX is fearsomely rigid. Close, but unforgiving.

I thought I would add a photo of the tiny piece of metal that extends on the non-cutting edge of my Schick Proline and prevents me from using it in the Occam's or OREN razors without modification. I have also added a photo of the modified blade after I have used the tin snips. Sorry for the quality but all I have is a phone and it doesn't seem to have a macro option.
Prior to modification:
View attachment 1241711

After modification (sorry for the rotation, the phone is doing it automatically)
View attachment 1241743

eric
That's the same issue all my Prolines from a few different injectors have as well. Instead of a using a tin snip to remove the excess bit, I used a coarse diamond DMT plate and just honed/filed it off. It worked okay. I got a good shave this morning, but it would be better if I didn't have to fuss with the Prolines. As they are small, thin blades, if I do it often I'll surely nick a finger :001_rolle . Thanks again for pointing out the Proline problem was with the blade not the razor itself.

Could not resist ordered an oren last night they are now a relative bargain.
Just do not order blades with it then the price more than doubles.
Blades are allmost same price overhere.
Now contemplating to get some guarded feathers and kais with an order of as

Thank you Eric! I actually like the razor more than I thought. It really gives me as good, if not better, a shave with the Feather Pros then I get with the Feather AC holders :001_smile. I've been pleasantly surprised.

I just filed down the ends of a Proline and yes, it seems to fit better. Was there something, once you made it fit, you didn't like like about the Proline shave in the Occam's/OREN? I thought the poor result with the Proline I experienced was the result of the blade not really lying flat, i.e. being slightly bowed when pushed in, thus resulting in an uneven shave. Perhaps not, there's always more to learn. Have you successfully tried and liked any other blades?

I thought about the OREN, but it was twice the price and a little more than I was willing to risk before having any experience with their floating blade system.
The Oren in silver is now for sale for 49.50. The black, golds are still over a 100. Watch out with adding blades there is most likely a bug in the form. Add 1 tuck and it bumps to over a 100.

The Oren in silver is now for sale for 49.50. The black, golds are still over a 100. Watch out with adding blades there is most likely a bug in the form. Add 1 tuck and it bumps to over a 100.
Mentioned the form issue to cs
Mentioned that we on bb are drooling.
Asked to check my razors loading before shipping to holland since orens seem to warp in the process from time to time and sending it back and forth for warranty from Europe is more as the razor at this point.

As soon as it is shipped going to buy blades. Most likely proguards or Kai pink.

Could not resist ordered an oren last night they are now a relative bargain.
Just do not order blades with it then the price more than doubles.
Blades are allmost same price overhere.
Now contemplating to get some guarded feathers and kais with an order of as
Yes, the OREN is $49 for the blemished/scratched ones, seconds. If you want a first quality it's still the $99. I ordered one of them to see if it's better than version 1. I had it sent to my daughter's home in New York where I'll be staying for six weeks starting in April. That should be a nice long test for the razor. I'll also take a Chinese Feather knock-off holder as well. So far, the Occam's has exceeded my expectations, which is not something that happens too often for me in our little shaving world. There's lots of good stuff, but in search of the epic daily shave, I'm always searching for the extraordinary.

For 2020, my single favorite purchase was the Connaught Jade Omega boar brush. I tried lots of brushes last year and many are excellent, most are good, but the Omega Jade for me is superb. So far in 2021, it's the Occam's razor and Canada Shaving Soap that are vying for this year's top spot. The year is young....

Last edited:
Yeah I couldn’t help myself at $49.50... ordered one 2 nights ago. I wanted to get a 3 dot plate to try in my Hiram Commander anyway [emoji38]. I also had a $25 coupon so I added a large croap and shaving mug / soap to keep it at $51 to get free shipping. Not a bad bargain for $51! [emoji848]

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the OREN is $49 for the blemished/scratched ones, seconds. If you want a first quality it's still the $99. I ordered one of them to see if it's better than version 1. I had it sent to my daughter's home in New York where I'll be staying for six weeks starting in April. That should be a nice long test for the razor. I'll also take a Chinese Feather knock-off holder as well. So far, the Occam's has exceeded my expectations, which is not something that happens too often for me in our little shaving world. There's lots of good stuff, but in search of the epic daily shave, I'm always searching for the extraordinary.

For 2020, my single favorite purchase was the Connaught Jade Omega boar brush. I tried lots of brushes last year and many are excellent, most are good, but the Omega Jade for me is superb. So far in 2021, it's the Occam's razor and Canada Shaving Soap that are vying for this year's top spot. The year is young....
Lol do not mind a scratch etc as long as it functions properly (not bend) then it is ok I buy them as shavers not as wall hangers. But since it is a second I am happy it is silver, since blemishes show more on black.

Congrats! Looking forward to more great reporting!! 6-weeks in New York, fantastic! safe journey and wonderful shaves!

linty1

My wallet cries.
Lol do not mind a scratch etc as long as it functions properly (not bend) then it is ok I buy them as shavers not as wall hangers. But since it is a second I am happy it is silver, since blemishes show more on black.

I hope you like it as much as I do, I really like mine and it has even steered me towards the "single edge" areas of this forum and picking up a Razorock Hawk. I will say it has a bit of a veggie peeler feel to it but thats just me.

Top Bottom