What's new

The Codger Cabin

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Throughout the media of the golden era, the stylish, refined, intelligent, thoughtful men are often portrayed as pipe smokers. The fashion ads routinely reinforce that image to our future Codgers.

I'm not saying they were wrong. Codger smokers ARE stylish, refined, intelligent and thoughtful men. ;)

Next up as we wind out the end of the 1920s, we finally meet some legendary tobaccos we all know. Two in particular.

27-10.1.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
From The Cabin Coffee Table — An occasional look back at what the old Codgers saw and smoked (with a little detour and frolic, here and there):

Throughout the media of the golden era, the stylish, refined, intelligent, thoughtful men are often portrayed as pipe smokers. The fashion ads routinely reinforce that image to our future Codgers.

I'm not saying they were wrong. Codger smokers ARE stylish, refined, intelligent and thoughtful men. ;)

Next up as we wind out the end of the 1920s, we finally meet some legendary tobaccos we all know. Two in particular.

View attachment 1240433
That add reminds me of how much I liked to dress for the office and how sharp most looked. It all went down rather quickly once “casual Friday” took hold. Offices now resemble typical bus stations.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

29-2.2.jpg

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The name "Grainger" makes me think of the radio spots. "Grainger . . . for the ones who get it done."

I love these classic ads. Keep 'em coming!

Glad to hear it! Because the last count I received is that there are now over 1,000 of them. And climbing, as more are scanned in.

So I'll keep putting up two a day, for now.

Some are just magnificent. Others offer sage advice and perspective, on pipe smoking ... and on other things.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Okay, my grocery store does not carry Sir Walter. If I send their name in, can I still get in on the free packet offer?

What's that? Nineteen twenty-nine?

Oh. Okay.

SWR was the 'new' brand on the block at that time, having been introduced only two years prior, and was clawing for market share.

We'll soon see some blends that are no longer with us, including one that was among the oldest, longest-made, pipe blends of all times.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

29-3.1.jpg

Granger is one codger blend that I've never gotten around to - I'll have to scare some up, hopefully it's still available by the pouch.
I'm thinking about hunting some up . . . but I already have about 5 different tobaccos, and I smoke only twice or 3 times a week, so what I have will last a while. (That said, I plan to grab some more Carter Hall at the grocery this evening.)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm thinking about hunting some up . . . but I already have about 5 different tobaccos, and I smoke only twice or 3 times a week, so what I have will last a while. (That said, I plan to grab some more Carter Hall at the grocery this evening.)
I just read a review I wrote in 2013 and liked it then so I ordered a can. If you like,
I’ll send you a sample when received so you will not have to make a substantial commitment. This will be a good addition to my “codger” collection I believe.

I just read a review I wrote in 2013 and liked it then so I ordered a can. If you like,
I’ll send you a sample when received so you will not have to make a substantial commitment. This will be a good addition to my “codger” collection I believe.
That would be great! Let me know when you get it in. I'm a little concerned that some reviews have mentioned a certain tendency in Granger to tongue bite; otherwise it sounds great.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood

29-3.2.jpg

Reactions: ctr
The artwork on these Raleigh ads looks very New Yorker-esque -- not quite James Thurber, but as if the artist were inspired by his style. The magazine existed by the mid-'20s, I know.

(Anecdote: The New Yorker survived its early days by means of Harold Ross's ruthless economy. In the midst of that, Dorothy Parker was asked why she had not finished editing her latest piece. Dottie: "Someone was using the pencil.")

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
That would be great! Let me know when you get it in. I'm a little concerned that some reviews have mentioned a certain tendency in Granger to tongue bite; otherwise it sounds great.
I’ll PM you when I get it. I do remember a tendency for a little bite but it was easily resolved by drying the tobacco a bit. Also, packing lightly and smoking at an easy cadence. When I had it last, I did go through an entire can. My “review” on TR is under the name “Clarkus” if you want to read my impression while I was smoking it. I must admit that I was a more aggressive smoker at the time.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
The artwork on these Raleigh ads looks very New Yorker-esque -- not quite James Thurber, but as if the artist were inspired by his style. The magazine existed by the mid-'20s, I know.

(Anecdote: The New Yorker survived its early days by means of Harold Ross's ruthless economy. In the midst of that, Dorothy Parker was asked why she had not finished editing her latest piece. Dottie: "Someone was using the pencil.")

Did some one mention The New Yorker? Since we are still covering 1929, with Easter approaching ... :

46-7-15.2 (1929).jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom