What's new

Help Choosing Next Razor Please

Looking at picking up my next razor and am stuck choosing from a shortlist of a few so thought I would seek the council of the good folks of the forum.

My most regularly used razors are:

Fatip Piccolo Mk1
Fatip Lo Storto Open Comb
Muhle R41 (2013)
Ikon Tek
King C Gillette
Parker Variant (used on 4-5 setting)

As you can see I am no stranger to aggressive/efficient razors and usually prefer them to milder ones. I also sometimes use a Feather AC-SS and recently an Ever Ready 1912.

So, my shortlist currently comprises:
1. Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
2. Razorock SLOC
3. DSCosmetic Z0

I like the idea of the double open comb so the Yaqi and RR are appealing. At present I have only one slant, which I like very much, so maybe the Yaqi edges in front based on that....
I've not had an R41 for very long but am growing to like it a lot but can't shell out on the new 316 version at this time, hence the Z0 is also very appealing. I gather it's a little more aggressive than the R41 but as I have the Tek that doesn't worry me.

I realise the temptation is to say "get them all!" and ideally I would but there's that pesky shortage of funds again :(

I'd very much appreciate any input?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
The Yaqi you reference - also known as the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant - is by far the most efficient razor I have ever used. It's not even that aggressive if paired with the right blade. Plus it's dirt cheap. You can't beat $10 shipped from China.

Maybe another one to think about here. The Razorock Eco surprised me at how aggressive it is but also easy to get either a really shallow or steep angle. Whichever you prefer. It's almost like a blade on a stick but smoother. It shaves very close and comfortable if you do your part. It's a lot different from the rest of your collection and only about $30.

The Razorock SLOC is a mild razor...very nice but not aggressive....Am surpriaed to see King C. On your list

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I prefer and most often use aggressive razors but still enjoy the occasional milder shave.
I probably didn't make that very clear, sorry

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Razorock for me from the list. I do have a King C Gillette and it is a good razor.

Don't overlook the option of not buying another razor at this time, but focusing on improving your technique and maximizing your enjoyment with the razors you already have.

If you use a different razor each week, you presently will enjoy any razor for only a week every month and one-half or so.

More is not necessarily more.

Looking at picking up my next razor and am stuck choosing from a shortlist of a few so thought I would seek the council of the good folks of the forum.

My most regularly used razors are:

Fatip Piccolo Mk1
Fatip Lo Storto Open Comb
Muhle R41 (2013)
Ikon Tek
King C Gillette
Parker Variant (used on 4-5 setting)

As you can see I am no stranger to aggressive/efficient razors and usually prefer them to milder ones. I also sometimes use a Feather AC-SS and recently an Ever Ready 1912.

So, my shortlist currently comprises:
1. Yaqi Double Open Comb Slant
2. Razorock SLOC
3. DSCosmetic Z0

I like the idea of the double open comb so the Yaqi and RR are appealing. At present I have only one slant, which I like very much, so maybe the Yaqi edges in front based on that....
I've not had an R41 for very long but am growing to like it a lot but can't shell out on the new 316 version at this time, hence the Z0 is also very appealing. I gather it's a little more aggressive than the R41 but as I have the Tek that doesn't worry me.

I realise the temptation is to say "get them all!" and ideally I would but there's that pesky shortage of funds again :(

I'd very much appreciate any input?

I have a SLOC head I don't use. Let me know if you want it, and I am happy to mail it to you if you pay postage.

I'd likely go for the new stainless r41 over the DS Cosmetic homage.

I wouldn't.

Basically because I know from experience that Ds Cosmetics makes a pretty close facsimile (I have a Mamba 70 and the Ds T7).

The only way I'd even think about paying 3x as much to get the Muhle is if I thought I was likely to sell it AND expected it to hold over 2/3 of its value (if it's resale is less than 2/3, then even being completely unable to sell the Z0 you'd basically be stronger in the pocket).

Besides, if the R41SS was the whole budget I'd rather have the Z0 and a nice vintage or two from the auction site.

As always YMMV and clearly would - I'm curious why, though? 🙂

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I would seriously think about buying a Razorock 2nd gen Lupo .72 or .95, well built, affordable, easy going shave and a mid range razor. I'm happy with my purchase. The Razorock SLOC is a nice razor IMO and if you find it a little to mild just slip in a Kai SS blade which is a wider blade than a standard Gillette @ should give you a nice boost in efficentcy.

If you like aggressive razors, you might take a look at the Stirling Stainless Hyper aggressive (if still available). I shaved with it for the first time yesterday and got an honest 10/10 shave in one pass with only two touchups.No nicks, weepers, irritation, or alum feedback. I ordered a second set last night to keep as a spare.
Be advised though, this is one of the most if not THE MOST aggressive first-class razors out there.
Good luck with your search

I wouldn't.

Basically because I know from experience that Ds Cosmetics makes a pretty close facsimile (I have a Mamba 70 and the Ds T7).

The only way I'd even think about paying 3x as much to get the Muhle is if I thought I was likely to sell it AND expected it to hold over 2/3 of its value (if it's resale is less than 2/3, then even being completely unable to sell the Z0 you'd basically be stronger in the pocket).

Besides, if the R41SS was the whole budget I'd rather have the Z0 and a nice vintage or two from the auction site.

As always YMMV and clearly would - I'm curious why, though? 🙂

Because
1. it’s not quite twice the price let alone three times
2. why buy an imitation when you can get the original
3. as a result of 1 and 2, the GS r41 will likely retain more of its value if you try to sell.

Because
1. it’s not quite twice the price let alone three times

I'm seeing the R41gs at £115.... The Z0 at $42 so around £30 with a SS handle - okay that's without import, but it's going on for 1/4 of the price, so unless the tax literally doubles the price of the Ds, the Muhle is going to be way more than double.
I guess prices in different locations will vary - at those rates, it wouldn't make any sense to me to go for the Muhle (it'd be a tough sell at double, for me, anyway!!)

As for point two... If quality is suitably good for far less money, why not?

Anyway, appreciate the reasoning and the reply! All the best 🍻

I'm seeing the R41gs at £115.... The Z0 at $42 so around £30 with a SS handle - okay that's without import, but it's going on for 1/4 of the price, so unless the tax literally doubles the price of the Ds, the Muhle is going to be way more than double.
I guess prices in different locations will vary - at those rates, it wouldn't make any sense to me to go for the Muhle (it'd be a tough sell at double, for me, anyway!!)

As for point two... If quality is suitably good for far less money, why not?

Anyway, appreciate the reasoning and the reply! All the best 🍻
Thank you sir!

I agree with the suggestion of the Yaqi double open comb slant (or top aggressive slant). I use it regularly and get very close comfortable shaves from it, and for the price you're not risking much. My favorite aggressive DE right now, however, is the Blackland Dart. That said, there are several others like the Stirling Stainless Hyper Aggressive and the new stainless Muhle R41 that would be worth a look. And, of course, if you have a budget of $200 or more there are razors like Wolfman, Timeless, ATT, etc. that you might want to try,

Unfortunately at present funds won't allow for Wolfman, Timeless, Stirling, R41 stainless or the like.

Top Bottom