What's new

Micromatic Monday

I had every intention of getting out my little lather catcher as I walked toward my shave cabinet, and yet I somehow walked back to my bathroom holding my clog pruf? No matter how it happened the results were undeniably fantastic with my clog pruf. Two absolutely top notch shaves in row with it.
0322212029a~2.jpg

@GAW9576 handled this shave for me.

Two superb razor handles arrived in today's mail. They paired nicely with the olivewood brush handle from the same artisan. I attached the Kampfe Star lather catcher heads using the adapters provided. And I tossed a guiding eye MMBT into the mix, for a closer finish than I have yet learned to obtain from the LC heads.

Ebony Gem Junior Bar style, dark copper acrylic with a longer reach:
View attachment 1240445

Vintage Williams Mug tribute soap by SliceOfLife in the Old Spice mug. Blade is GEM stainless (PTFE?) corked and forearm stropped for shave 1. Cleaned up with alum and a bay rum mix of Captain's BR and Pinaud VIBR.
View attachment 1240444

All three razors in the group shot:
View attachment 1240446
Let's acknowledge that the LC heads don't fit into the tight spaces as well as the MMBT.

Happy Monday!

I'm so glad you like the handles. They look right at home with those beautiful Kampfe Stars attached. And that's a clever play on words saying I "handled" the shave. :lol:

Last edited:
Another actual Monday, but no Micromatic...

Today (yesterday at this point) was the Featherweight, Persona SS/PTFE, Duke 1, RR Black Bay and my home made patchouli AS.
I really do like the Featherweight better than the MMs for the shave result, though it's nowhere near as solid and the mechanism lacks the interest of the Micromatic series.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It's the day after my GEMonday with the Ever-Ready (marked ASR) Lather Catcher. 3 extremely smooth passes and I was DFS++!!! So this Lather Catcher is different in several ways.....

1. It is "backwards". Basically the Lather Catcher scoop is opposite from my other Lather Catchers. Here are a few pics with it next to a Gem Junior Bar:
proxy.php
proxy.php

But it is definitely a "lather catcher":
proxy.php

2. Another difference is the blade exposure, blade gap and blade stops....basically there's barely any of the first two of those items and there are no blade stops (nor are they needed):
proxy.php

The blade sits much further away from the edge of the razor than I would've guessed practical, and while this picture may give you the impression that the teeth of the comb are holding the blade in place, the comb is really "closed" and the blade just sits on top of them.

3. Lastly, this Lather Catcher reminds me of something someone would've done as a futuristic creation of a Lather Catcher. The style is really modern looking, and the simplicity of just sliding a blade in from the side and not worrying about anything mechanical, is truly ingenious.

Now I will say that I didn't care much for the standard small metal handle...frankly I don't think it fits the look of the "modern" head, so I used a handle that I received from long ago acquisition of Gem Damaskeene (I don't know if it was original to it). The handle is bakelite (I think), and the use of the "modern" material with this head fits really well -- and I liked the length for shaving.

As for the other materials in the shave: the brush is a Heritage remake/homage of a Cmon, and the Men's Soap Company's Bay Rum was gotten through a Saint Sue Auction from a couple of years ago. Awesome shave, and good to be back here to share it!

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
American Safety Razor SOTD, Tue. Mar 23 2021

Razor: Everready British 1912- MFG 1936-53, excellent mid range, best gripping handle of the 1912's models, great results.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(10) excellent blade, very sharp, good longevity, smooths out nicely over time + predictable.
Soap : Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore, nice mild vanilla tobacco scent, excellent lather qualities, excellent post shave feel.
Brush: Yaqi Moka Express synthetic, eye candy, excellent lather generator, heavenly cloud like soft tips, gentle scrub, easy to grip, great lather painter, first use of this pleasant to use knot & brush, it has softer back bone than other yaqi knots IMO but gives a nice gentle scrub IMO.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cols water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups. WTG + ATG + pickups.
Post shave: Razorock Santa Marie del Fiore with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + no irritation + 1 blemish weeper = :a17:Excellent shave with my ER British 1912 with a coated Gem Blade.

ASE SOTD, Tue, Mar 23 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay& think safe in these times!

I'm so glad you like the handles. They look right at home with those beautiful Kampfe Stars attached. And that's a clever play on words saying I "handled" the shave. :lol:
While we’re on the topic of handles, I thought it was odd that the handles for my Ever Ready Stroppers are not interchangeable even though they are identical. One is made in England, and the other in the USA. The gears on the British model drive on the opposite side, but that shouldn’t matter. I have a USA made ever ready 1914 and the handle fits my British made 1914 and the Stropper, but the identical USA Stropper handle will not fit the USA razor or British Stropper or razor.
E140AB69-90DC-45B4-A304-A385804EFBDD.jpeg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Is it made. In England. I noticed the gears on my ”made in England” ER Stropper are on the opposite side from the USA made ER Stropper.
I don't think so....it definitely has no markings for either US or England, but from what I've seen on this forum and the Waits' Compendium, it seems to be US-made. Waits' shows it appearing in an 1907 catalog advertisement.

While we’re on the topic of handles, I thought it was odd that the handles for my Ever Ready Stroppers are not interchangeable even though they are identical. One is made in England, and the other in the USA. The gears on the British model drive on the opposite side, but that shouldn’t matter. I have a USA made ever ready 1914 and the handle fits my British made 1914 and the Stropper, but the identical USA Stropper handle will not fit the USA razor or British Stropper or razor.
View attachment 1240714

Very strange.

I have a very strange anomaly of a GEM Contour razor. It seems to have the head of a Contour II with the metal handle of the Contour, but no push button.
Here is the thread we were posting about Contour razors. If you think you can help solve this conundrum, please follow the link.

Wow. It is a true variant. I have an ASR chart that looks just like this one, but it only lists a Contour and a Contour II.
Thanks. Im going to make a copy of this chart.

Razor: GEM Contour (Flip-Top Variant) 1972-1973
Blade: GEM (Personna) PTFE (2)
Brush: Dscosmetic - SHD Manchurian GelTip (26mm)
Pre-Shave: Innisfree - Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
Lather: Canada Shaving Soap - Unscented
Aftershave: Taylor of Old Bond Street - Sandalwood Aftershave Lotion
Additional Care:
TOBS - Sandalwood Luxury Gel

3A744F34-EE1D-427B-B687-4D03E1EA2E9B.jpeg

Dim the lights, it’s the end of an era

This was my first shave with a GEM Contour. One of the very last GEMs to go into production. Overall it seems like a pretty nice razor despite looking a little more modern era than previous models, although you can see the evolution happening.
The weight felt good And it seemed quite comfortable in my hand. I did obtain a BBS, but I really had to work at it, especially on my neck. I’ve heard it is a milder shaver, but I don’t really think that’s what’s going on here. I had a new (2) PTFE blade installed, so it should be able to take care of anything standing in its path.
I’m pretty dialed in to shaving with GEM razors, and I felt I just wasn’t obtaining that optimal angle I’m used to. I believe that the “contoured” handle, while comfortable, was throwing off my angle of approach. Because of the downward contour, while shaving upward from the bottom of my neck, my fingers came in contact with my neck denying me the angle I needed.

To be fair, it was a first shave and it was fine. I’m nice and smooth with no nicks, cuts or abrasions. Nice post shave face feel. I just need a little more time with my “Contour”.

Au “Contour” Monsieur!

Top Bottom