What's new

FREE samples for your feedback

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hope you get better soon!
Thankfully it hasn't damaged your sense of humor! 😂
Thank you. My mom told me that today (by phone) so YOU my friend are in good company! 86+ and had the second covid-19 shot Saturday, and is doing well. Hard to kill a hard headed Southern lady...

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I'm in if still open. I've never tried any Captain's Choice products, just hope It doesn't cause sea sickness. 🤒

😏
Edit: I should have read the entire thread before posting, but I've been meaning to try some of your products anyway, so I'll just order some. 😁

Last edited:
Well guys, all of the free samples shipped out this afternoon. USPS is very slow these days so look for them be begin arriving maybe Tuesday next week.
My samples came today--so of course I opened them right away to sniff them! Tropical is certainly the right description for both of these. I put a drop on each wrist and have been wearing them for the past few minutes.

The closest thing I've had to a tropical scent is some coconut lime scented soap, so this was pretty new to me. Both of these scents seem to have a decent pineapple presence, which I smell more in sample B. Sample A seems a little more complex--but I can't really place what's in it. Maybe some lime, mango, or coconut? I also wonder if sample A also has something like rum in it. I'm probably wrong with all of those guesses, but my initial impression is I like A better than B--mostly because B just seems to be very pineapple forward. I'm going to alternate using the samples as intended the next couple of days and see how that impacts my initial impressions.

I also just received my samples in the mail. Thanks again, Captain.
I figured I would like these scents because I tend to like fresh/clean scents, and right off the bat they smell pretty darn good. I followed AZBronco's method and put a drop of each splash on my wrists. I'm no perfumist, but here are my initial impressions of the scents.

In A, I get a much more coconut/lime scent. To me, the top notes seem to be almost candylike. I wouldn't doubt that there is probably some pineapple in here, but it is hard to pick out. It also seems to have a background of some rum, but nothing spicy like bay rum. I don't really like spicy scents like that, but this rum note I'm picking up just smells fresh and clean, and it sort of adds to the whole "tropical" experience, IMO.

In B, I get a strong presence of pineapple, with some lime. There might be some other fruity notes like orange/mango in there, but I can't tell yet. At first, I thought I was smelling banana (and I very well could be, or it could just be a combination of the other notes that are throwing me off.) So far, I can't really tell if this one has any rum in the background. The scent kind of reminds me of a tropical drink like a Bahama Mama or something, being very pineapple-forward.

A seems much more mildly scented so far. I think B is stronger smelling; it is definitely stronger out of the bottle.

I'll have to wait until later this week when I can get in a full shave to talk more about the scent, the strength, and overall how I feel about them. So far, I would be proud to use either aftershave because they both smell great. However, I think I'm going to end up preferring A, as it's just more of my type; I just wish it was a little bit stronger. I also don't think a combination of these two scents would be a bad thing, I just would want to be able to pick out more of the coconut in A compared with the pineapple in B.

Tl;Dr- To me, A has a much more subtle and relaxed, coconut rum scent, while B has a much more in-your-face type of pineapple scent. Both of them probably could step up the scent strength a little bit with no one being unhappy.

I also received both samples today. Unlike the other two, I just started out with Sample A for tonight's shave. I started out lathering the sample of Captain's Choice unscented soap just so there was no residual scent to interfere with the AS. Sample A was complex and had many different notes in it. I detected a fruity, flowery, sweet scent overall. It was very subtle, almost too subtle for me, however very pleasant for the time it lasted, which was not too long. The "tropical" part of the scent seem to be more from a tropical drink type scent, complete with a skewer of tropical fruits, a Vanda orchid, and a miniature umbrella, which probably would work great on a summer day.

Dear fellow participants,
I just realized I don't use aftershaves all too often.
How am I supposed to use them?

Do I use it like splash (put a few mils on hand and slap my face silly and feel the ecstasy as they sizzle on my nicks) or is it like one those things where you put a couple drops on your fingertips and touch them to your ear lobes?

To me the scent seems way too potent to be splashing them on my face.

Dear fellow participants,
I just realized I don't use aftershaves all too often.
How am I supposed to use them?

Do I use it like splash (put a few mils on hand and slap my face silly and feel the ecstasy as they sizzle on my nicks) or is it like one those things where you put a couple drops on your fingertips and touch them to your ear lobes?

To me the scent seems way too potent to be splashing them on my face.

Splash on.

Top Bottom