What's new

Help with next aggressive razor

First time posting - came here trying to answer a similar question regarding "aggressive" razors.

My favorite daily shaver is a 2011 Muhle R41. I also own the 2013 version. I got started in wet shaving with Feather straights that I still pull out from time to time, but I am a bit out of practice. I also have a Merker Futur that I would consider parting with because the large head makes it nearly impossible for me to shave below my nose and the handle is slippery.

My 2011 R41 is beginning to pit, so that is what sent me researching alternatives. Probably due to poor treatment by me. Ideally, I would like to buy a couple more 2011 R41s if I can find them. That said, I also decided to order the new SS R41 and a Ikon Tek to try out. Also considering the PAA DOC and possibly one of the Blackland models. Perhaps the Vector, since I like my feather straight, but don't always have the time or steady hand for it.

I've seen some terms used on the forums here and elsewhere that are new to me since I got into wet shaving.

I've seen mention of FaTip and Zamak heads, among a few other new terms. Can anyone educate me on these? I get the impression that there might be a combination of parts that could get close to a 2011 R41.

Thanks!
James

First time posting - came here trying to answer a similar question regarding "aggressive" razors.

My favorite daily shaver is a 2011 Muhle R41. I also own the 2013 version. I got started in wet shaving with Feather straights that I still pull out from time to time, but I am a bit out of practice. I also have a Merker Futur that I would consider parting with because the large head makes it nearly impossible for me to shave below my nose and the handle is slippery.

My 2011 R41 is beginning to pit, so that is what sent me researching alternatives. Probably due to poor treatment by me. Ideally, I would like to buy a couple more 2011 R41s if I can find them. That said, I also decided to order the new SS R41 and a Ikon Tek to try out. Also considering the PAA DOC and possibly one of the Blackland models. Perhaps the Vector, since I like my feather straight, but don't always have the time or steady hand for it.

I've seen some terms used on the forums here and elsewhere that are new to me since I got into wet shaving.

I've seen mention of FaTip and Zamak heads, among a few other new terms. Can anyone educate me on these? I get the impression that there might be a combination of parts that could get close to a 2011 R41.

Thanks!
James
If the 2011 R41 is your daily driver, you should get the Stirling HA. I think you would love it.

If the 2011 R41 is your daily driver, you should get the Stirling HA. I think you would love it.
Thanks - new company and razor to me. I have one on order. I normally use Feather blades with my R41, but the creator's description suggests using an alternate blade on a first shave with it. Do you have a blade recommendation for this razor?

Best,
James

I only
Thanks - new company and razor to me. I have one on order. I normally use Feather blades with my R41, but the creator's description suggests using an alternate blade on a first shave with it. Do you have a blade recommendation for this razor?

Best,
James
I only tried the HA in a pass around. I tried it with Perma-Sharp Supers, which are probably my favorite blade, and Astra SP, which are my favorite mild blade. Both were fine.

I only

I only tried the HA in a pass around. I tried it with Perma-Sharp Supers, which are probably my favorite blade, and Astra SP, which are my favorite mild blade. Both were fine.
Wanted to drop you a quick note of thanks for recommending the Stirling razor. You were spot on. I am really enjoying the design and HA head for my preferences.

Thank you all again, I have just received my new Razorock Lupo SS 95. First use will be the day after tomorrow as I just shaved this morning.

I decided to get the Razorock Lupo SS 95. Not the most aggressive of them all, but it seemed to be the best next step.
So far so good, first impressions here:

Top Bottom