What's new

Length between shaves

Hi all,

I have relatively sensitive skin, and trying to find the ideal frequency in terms of DE shaves. My skin can’t take daily shaving so I have recently been shaving once a week given I am working from home due to Covid. The flip side of this is that with 7 days growth (I would describe my beard/coarseness/rate of growth as average) I guess the blade may drag more.

Any thoughts on the ‘optimum’ frequency to avoid irritation? I am thinking perhaps twice a week?

Thank you

Even with sensitive skin you should be able to shave every day. It's a matter of good technique. That said, in the rare instances where I have a bad shave--which usually means too close of a shave--a single day of skipping shaving is sufficient for me.

However, there's nothing wrong with schedule that fits your lifestyle. But if you are going to go a week, maybe an electric trimmer to knock the growth down.

I have what I consider to be sensitive skin. I used to shave every other day. With improved technique and figuring out which products to add or subtract I am now able to shave everyday. There’s not always a lot of growth to cut, but I like it so I do it. If my skin is really irritated I may skip a day, but that’s rare.

Not saying you’re in the same boat...but I thought the same when I started traditional shaving, after trying to switch over from electrics.

I started with every other day because it seemed like my face could barely handle that. After at least a year or so, my technique had improved some. I finally decided that I enjoyed shaving enough that I wanted to try going for daily. I made the commitment to try it for a month...so I did...and I pretty much haven’t missed a day since (it’s been many years now)!

I figured out that a lot of the issue was refining my technique, something that can only really happen with attention and frequent repetition (IMO, shaving once a week is not going to do that very well, or at least very quickly). Finding the right hardware and software for me was a small part of that as well.

Now, I still shave daily and 90% or more (there’s still going to be off days here and there) of my shaves are what I’d consider to be fantastic, comfortable results, and I shoot for BBS daily.

I guess...just make a commitment to actually, really try improving technique and frequency of shaves and see where it takes you!

I agree that you should be able to shave daily. Even one pass daily would improve your appearance, if a clean and tidy face is your goal. Pay special attention to PRESSURE and to the angle of the blade. And don't cheap out and use worn out blades.

I would recommend a mild razor like a Gillette Tech, or an adjustable razor at one of the lower (or lowest) setting.

Personally I shave Sunday and either Wednesday or Thursday, head and face. This works best for my schedule and the amount of growth I have. And I can't see changing in the near future.

What setup are you using? Perhaps using a milder razor will allow you to shave daily.

When I use an aggressive razor, I often have to skip a day in between. Whereas with a mild razor and a sharp blade, such as a Tech and a feather, I can shave daily.

Even with sensitive skin you should be able to shave every day. It's a matter of good technique. That said, in the rare instances where I have a bad shave--which usually means too close of a shave--a single day of skipping shaving is sufficient for me.

However, there's nothing wrong with schedule that fits your lifestyle. But if you are going to go a week, maybe an electric trimmer to knock the growth down.
+1

@Enclave68
I have dry, sensitive skin with tough (hopefully not copper tough) whiskers and continuous BBS+ shaves sometimes results in ingrown bumps.

Whenever I feel like giving my face a rest, I skip a day or two.

In my case, I'm new to wet shaving and thus, it is only since past 6 months that I'm starting to train myself to be able to safely shave daily.

In your case, as you describe that a 7 day gap results in tuggy blade movement, then maybe a 3 day gap between the shaves might be preferable.

It is not just the length of hair that matter, the density, direction, shave prep and techniques that matter.

So, the more you shave the more you understand.
To actually get better at shaving, there is no substitute for it, but to to actually shave more number of times and learn.

Even mild razors with workable blades will do the job.
It's the technique that'll help you, for that, you need to get more shaves under your belt.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I believe that a well chosen set-up and good technique make it possible for a person with tender skin to shave daily. It has already been suggested that a one pass shave will be of benefit. As you grow older your skin gets crepe-y and thin. I can attest to this. My daily shave begins with hot water splashed on liberally and proceeds to lathering and three passes. Let the razor and blade do the work. Seriously. No perceived pressure needs to be applied. If you are using a good blade this will suffice.

24 hours. I’ve shaved everyday this year with no irritation. Last month I added a daily against the grain pass to my daily routine no problem. Straight razors are by far the easiest on my skin. I couldn’t do that with a DE.

Although I'm now retired, a daily shave was a professional requirement for over 40 years. Most days there's still a shave- especially now; it's relaxing, fun, and I have time to really enjoy myself. There's no pressure to get the kids out the door or get my butt to work. I only skip a day or two when traveling, or for safety reasons when a young grandson is all over me, rarely more, unless I'm out camping or hunting. The scents we love are usually not good when hunting, except for maybe the Veg or ARKO :lol:.

IMHO it's really in the preparation and technique. For the last few years, I've primary been using an Artist Club (AC) type blade holder of some sort, straight or safety, but use other razors, including regular straights, SEs and DEs for changes of pace. If your technique is good, IMHO you can shave with almost any decent tools daily and do it well enough. Shaving was a chore initially that eventually, with practice, has turned into a great pleasure.

IMHO it's really in the preparation

I agree. I like everyday shaving, and my skin condition is much better than in 2018. The biggest thing was getting a good prep (your hot washcloth).

2 or 3 day stubble gives me a load of itching. Obviously the itching must go away (otherwise no-one could grow a beard), but I won't be testing that theory.

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Usually daily for face although I have been known to skip a day or two. Head two to three times a week.

I used to shave every other day until I found the right razor that fit my beard and skin type. At first, I thought it was a DE with superior blade rigidity. But I discovered, I'm a SE kind of guy. Now I shave 5 days a week. I can shave 3 days in a row, followed by a 2 day break. Then, I shave for 2 days in a row. I can do 6 days, but I get irritation afterwards.

I would reiterate previous comments that with the correct technique you should be able to shave daily. You also have a choice of varying the daily shave from a quick single pass to a multi pass shave depending on what you wish to achieve; don't try for BBS daily but a CCS (close comfortable shave) is achievable. You can also go for a shave every alternate day and work up to a daily shave. There are many choices rather than a once weekly shave.
Razor blade choice is subjective so get a blade sampler to find your preferred blades. The Astra SP, GSB and others from the PPI stable are all worth trying.
Shaving soap can also cause irritation but there a number of manufacturers who market soaps for sensitive skin.
Sometimes brushes witha lot of scritch can cause a problem. There are many boar hair brushes that will, after a break in period, give you a great lather without causing irritation. These brushes are relatively cheap but synthetic hair shaving brushes are also readily available.
As you have the Karve and Razorock 6C, you have enough choices in plates to find a plate that will allow you to shave daily.
The Shave Wiki has good advice on improving your shaving technique; link top left of page.

Last edited:
My skin is both sensitive and dry. It is also probe to ingrowns, bumps, cysts, pimples etc. To avoid ingrowns I must either shave every day or grow a beard. I suggest getting an Injector razor or a Gillette Guard and doing a single XTG pass daily. Also I get a reaction to all natural hair brushes and so I use synths now. Big improvement.

Top Bottom