What's new

Newbie says hi, possible razor advice?

Hi all.

I'm 51, from the UK, and, while I've been using a safety razor for a few years, I only started taking it seriously and trying to do things properly last year.

I am using a Merkur travel razor that I bought many years ago on a whim and for most of those years I used canned gel or just shower gel. Last year I got myself an Omega 48 brush, some Proraso white soap, and a 100 blade sample pack. I watched some YouTube videos, worked on my technique, and am now at the point where I can get a pretty good shave most days, and only get nicks when I do something silly, which is becoming rarer as I get more disciplined about my technique.

As I progress I find myself wondering if the travel razor is the best option for me. I am considering some other razors and would appreciate some advice, would this be the correct forum to ask in?

Thanks for reading,

Deselby69

Welcome to B&B! I own a travel razor as part of my RAD but have never shaved with it. I would assume most everyone in this forum don't either. If I did much traveling, I would invest in a leather cover for a full size razor. I also think your technique will improve as you get your hands on a full size handle. Lots of styles and weights which is more than half the fun of this hobby. Have fun!

Welcome! I’ve owned and used the 4 piece Merkur travel razor for many years—it’s a fine tool that gives me good shaves. Other razors might give you results that are a bit closer and/or a bit smoother, but continuing to develop your technique is probably still the most important factor in getting consistently good shaves.

That said, I wouldn’t discourage you from trying some new hardware. There are lots of great razors out there at all different price points. I’d recommend looking at reviews here on B&B and on vendors’ sites, then coming back with questions about specific models that interest you.

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I'm considering the DE89, or one of the variants with knurling or rubber grip, the Merkur 33c, and the 34c. I just wonder if getting another Merkur is going to give me any significant difference to what I've already got in the travel razor.

Rockwell 6s is my best razor super smooth and relly versatile .I have 5 other razors but for me none others come close.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Many of Merkur razors have the same head, including the ones you proposed.

The difference between them is only the slight difference in the hand feel + a little balance change + the little finger's feeling of dependence. In the end you will find that you have spent several times the money to get the "same Merkur and several replacement handles", but the actual shaving performance is not much different.

Try to replace its brand/design, it can bring more changes and fun; and the "M5x0.8" handle is universal, you can also install these handles on your favorite Merkur.

Welcome to B&B.
You should consider a DE89 or a Merkur Progress. The DE89 type is also avaiable in many supermarkets and sold as the King C Gillette DE razor. The Progress costs a lot more but is adjustable enabling you to tune your shaves.

Many of Merkur razors have the same head, including the ones you proposed.

The difference between them is only the slight difference in the hand feel + a little balance change + the little finger's feeling of dependence. In the end you will find that you have spent several times the money to get the "same Merkur and several replacement handles", but the actual shaving performance is not much different.

Try to replace its brand/design, it can bring more changes and fun; and the "M5x0.8" handle is universal, you can also install these handles on your favorite Merkur.

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, do you know if the travel razor has the same head as the 34c?

I dare say you will receive any number of recommendations for a new razor... or two, or three. It's entirely up to you though. If you're happy going the minimalist route, you could easily continue with what you have and chase the best shave you can get.

What razor you get depends on whether you prefer new or vintage. Old Gillette techs are usually well liked by those who have them and can be found fairly cheap (I got a made in England tech for 5 GBP on the bay and was another £3 for postage to Ireland).

New razors can be bought for as much as you want to pay. When I occasionally use a DE, my go to razor is a cheapish Chinese razor which, in my opinion, vastly outperforms it's price point.

If you decide to venture into the world of using a straight, that's a whole different kettle of fish albeit very rewarding.

I dare say you will receive any number of recommendations for a new razor... or two, or three. It's entirely up to you though. If you're happy going the minimalist route, you could easily continue with what you have and chase the best shave you can get.

What razor you get depends on whether you prefer new or vintage. Old Gillette techs are usually well liked by those who have them and can be found fairly cheap (I got a made in England tech for 5 GBP on the bay and was another £3 for postage to Ireland).

New razors can be bought for as much as you want to pay. When I occasionally use a DE, my go to razor is a cheapish Chinese razor which, in my opinion, vastly outperforms it's price point.

If you decide to venture into the world of using a straight, that's a whole different kettle of fish albeit very rewarding.
Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to avoid acquiring razors just for the hell of it as my budget is limited but I do feel that the small size of the travel razor may be limiting. It seems there's probably no real point in getting another Merkur so I'll probably go with the DE89, which I think I'm right in thinking I will be able to fit the handle on the travel razor?

Thanks for that. Just to be clear, do you know if the travel razor has the same head as the 34c?
The head geometry should be same. 34c is a two piece where the baseplate is attached to handle and top cap has longer thread. Should shave the same.

And yes, handles for the 3 piece razors you mentioned should be interchangeable.

The head geometry should be same. 34c is a two piece where the baseplate is attached to handle and top cap has longer thread. Should shave the same.
Ok great, thanks very much. I think I'll get the DE89 then, do you know if the handle will fit the travel razor?

I will add my two cents here. yYou are not mentioning how frequently you are shaving. So, if you are shaving daily the DE89 or EJ89 (head comes from the same design project) will give you wonderful shaves. The question will be then to choose the right handle (short, long) and finish for the head. The shaving experience should not be much different from what you are experiencing today.
If you want to try something different then, why not a Merkur slant?

I will add my two cents here. yYou are not mentioning how frequently you are shaving. So, if you are shaving daily the DE89 or EJ89 (head comes from the same design project) will give you wonderful shaves. The question will be then to choose the right handle (short, long) and finish for the head. The shaving experience should not be much different from what you are experiencing today.
If you want to try something different then, why not a Merkur slant?
Hi,

I am shaving every day and I'm quite happy with the results so far. I'm still concentrating on technique and working through my blade samples - I haven't got a particular favourite yet but I have had the best results with Personna and Permasharp. A slant may be a step too far for me at this point but I will definitely consider it for the future, I'm more concerned at the moment with whether a small travel razor is hindering me or teaching me bad habits, and maybe I would be better off learning on a more regular sized razor. Any thoughts?

Top Bottom