What's new

Time for a new razor

Well I awoke a few mornings ago and jumped into my normal routine. Shower, Shave , Dress, Work. When I got to the shaving part I noticed something oddly different. My Merkur DE was already wet! It wasn't hard to determine why. My lovely wife had just completed her morning routine and it seems that her routine now includes using my razor. Upon confronting her I was told that it was my idea that she try it and she liked it very much. So fella's the time has come for me to feed this new hobby. I've been thinking about the Merkur Progress Adjustable for me and maybe I will be a nice guy and get my wife something of her own. I'm looking for comments. :smile:

Thanks,
Ron Strawsburg

Ron,

There are a lot of Merkur Futur devotees on the board.

Here are some threads which might help you make a decision:

The DE Buyer's Guide

More Merkur Pics

Also, if you're inclined to spending money, if I remember correctly, you're using a boar brush. In my opinion, a decent badger hair brush is almost as important, if not just as important as a new razor.

Just my 2c.

-Nick

Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a badger brush any suggestions?

Nick said:
Ron,

There are a lot of Merkur Futur devotees on the board.

Here are some threads which might help you make a decision:

The DE Buyer's Guide

More Merkur Pics

Also, if you're inclined to spending money, if I remember correctly, you're using a boar brush. In my opinion, a decent badger hair brush is almost as important, if not just as important as a new razor.

Just my 2c.

-Nick

rstrawsb said:
Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for a badger brush any suggestions?
Ron,

That all depends on how much you want to spend. :wink:

It also slightly depends on if you like soaps vs. creams, big vs. small, etc.

Savile Row sold by Charles (qedusa.com) is a good moderately priced brand. So is Vulfix. A few guys here love their Crab Tree & Evelyn brushes.

If you get a 24-26mm from one of the known brands, you probably can't go too wrong.

-Nick

That's the problem with getting the wife involved. :biggrin: Now, she's got her own brush and cream. Of course on the plus side....she's more amenable to my bouts of scad/rad/whathaveyou. :w00t:

Cliff

Ron,

My wife LOVES her new Merkur Vision. She and I are new to wet shaving and we're both hooked. She used the Vision on her legs the other day and said it was the closest and most comfortable shave she's ever had. She likes the long handle and adjustability of the Vision. It also did a great job on my face prior to her using it but I really like my gold Merkur Classic HD, Classic, and 1904. I recently purchased a TI straight razor and have 4 shaves with it so far and they've gone great. Anyway, I think wet shaving for women is a huge untapped market.

Tom

Tom:

I bought my wife a long-handled Gillette but she ain't gettin' my Vision! She has yet to use it so I'll pass along your wife's favorable results.

Jerry

DoubleE said:
Tom:

I bought my wife a long-handled Gillette but she ain't gettin' my Vision! She has yet to use it so I'll pass along your wife's favorable results.

Jerry

I got one of the long handled Lady Gillette's for my girlfriend...and I got one for me!

Randy

Okay, Randy, tell us what color :smile: ?

The silver one is the scarcest I believe, followed by the gold, pink, and blue, the most common.

They are great razors, perfect weight, nice long handle, pretty stars :smile: ,

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Coche_y_bondhu said:
Okay, Randy, tell us what color :smile: ?

The silver one is the scarcest I believe, followed by the gold, pink, and blue, the most common.

They are great razors, perfect weight, nice long handle, pretty stars :smile: ,

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

Based on your information...I'm just a "commoner"!

She loves hers, I've not used mine...damn straight razors...

Randy

I'm going to be different and give you the formula for making sure your wife never uses your razor again. In fact, she won't even come near it.

Get yourself a bright gleaming str8, and let her see the blade open a few times. She won't go near it!

Joe Lerch said:
I'm going to be different and give you the formula for making sure your wife never uses your razor again. In fact, she won't even come near it.

Get yourself a bright gleaming str8, and let her see the blade open a few times. She won't go near it!
Nice play Joe!:lol1:
The idea is to draw her in to your habit so that she can become an enabler.:biggrin:

Well I awoke a few mornings ago and jumped into my normal routine. Shower, Shave , Dress, Work. When I got to the shaving part I noticed something oddly different. My Merkur DE was already wet! It wasn't hard to determine why. My lovely wife had just completed her morning routine and it seems that her routine now includes using my razor. Upon confronting her I was told that it was my idea that she try it and she liked it very much. So fella's the time has come for me to feed this new hobby. I've been thinking about the Merkur Progress Adjustable for me and maybe I will be a nice guy and get my wife something of her own. I'm looking for comments. :smile:

Thanks,
Ron Strawsburg
I love my adjustable merkur and play with the aggressiveness of the edge between the first and second pass. It is wonderful

The Merkur Progress is a great shaving razor.....nice choice. I can also recommend the EJ 3one6, Yates, Muhle Rocca, Henson Ti22, and ATT S1. All great performing razors. Depending on how much you like to spend, there's tons of good options out there.

The Merkur Progress is a great shaving razor.....nice choice. I can also recommend the EJ 3one6, Yates, Muhle Rocca, Henson Ti22, and ATT S1. All great performing razors. Depending on how much you like to spend, there's tons of good options out there.
I just ordered the Henson Al13 medium, any suggestions for blades or technique? I wasn't sure whether to get the mild or medium as reviews vary so much. I've been pretty happy with a Progress on 3 or 4, would you say the medium is comparable? Thanks, Mark

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Agree, plenty of good razors out there. The Merkur Progress will do nicely.

I just ordered the Henson Al13 medium, any suggestions for blades or technique? I wasn't sure whether to get the mild or medium as reviews vary so much. I've been pretty happy with a Progress on 3 or 4, would you say the medium is comparable? Thanks, Mark

The Henson will feel like a lightweight compared to the Progress. Technique will be almost automatic due to the Henson design. I would say the medium Henson will be close to the Progress on 3. I can get equal quality of shaves from both. I bought the Ti22 in medium for the added weight. I like it better than the AL13 for that reason. I've had great luck with Astra SP, Bolzano, Rapira Swedish Super Steel, Polsilver, and German Wilkinson Sword. The Henson has become my go to most mornings. Hope you like it as well.

Top Bottom