What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I've wanted to, but our outdoor cats seem to get there first. Spring has sprung in SE Louisiana and there is a veritable smorgasbord of baby lizards around the house.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I haven’t seen any lizards around here lately. Too many cats I guess.
I saw a place yesterday in Three Rivers or George West that sells gizzards. I will stop the next time I head that way.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I had 6 or 7 Anoles that were black under my grill lid when we had the cold snap. I don't know if they survived or not.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I haven’t seen any lizards around here lately. Too many cats I guess.
I saw a place yesterday in Three Rivers or George West that sells gizzards. I will stop the next time I head that way.

When I was a kid, I would see a horny toad everywhere I stepped. I never see them anymore?

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Gosh! They were everywhere growing up. Now?
I cannot remember the last time I saw one in real life.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
^^^ Yep, last time I saw a Horny Toad was probably close to 30yrs ago. Of course I haven’t been looking for them but seems like I saw them everywhere without looking, especially out in west Texas.

OkieStubble

Gosh! They were everywhere growing up. Now?
I cannot remember the last time I saw one in real life.

^^^ Yep, last time I saw a Horny Toad was probably close to 30yrs ago. Of course I haven’t been looking for them but seems like I saw them everywhere without looking, especially out in west Texas.

It's like they went extinct or something. We used to catch horny toads, lizards and tarantulas all the time and now they all but have disappeared. I see the rare tarantula every great while, but they're not as big as they used to be. I remember when the Monarch butterflies would be making their annual trek south every year in september/october, the skies would literally be filled with them. You could look up towards the sky, and they would be thick, like large snowflake flurries or something.

Now, during their annual migration, I just a single one, here and there. Kinda sad really.

I have always found the laser sights a distraction and hindrance.

Pretty much this. Also technology that will likely fail at the worst possible moment. They can also get out of adjustment.

As someone else said they seem to be very popular with first time handgun owners because some gun shop dolt convinced them it was 'needed'. Most of these people cannot hit the broad side of a barn let alone do it with a laser sight.

what if the person using the gun isnt the one that put it on? say like your kid or wife or anyone that isnt a regular shooter and is forced to use it in an OH CRAP! moment. i think its very useful then

OkieStubble

what if the person using the gun isnt the one that put it on? say like your kid or wife or anyone that isnt a regular shooter and is forced to use it in an OH CRAP! moment. i think its very useful then

Agreed.

I have a laser/ light combo on my Glock 43X. I like having it for an extra tool / option in the tool bag that I can use for certain types of “not probable possibilities.”

It’s small, blends in nicely with the light and pistol and gives me another viable, aiming device I can just very simply consider “optional.”

I am a gun enthusiast and also a competent pistolero. What this means to me is, just because I can use my sights quite effectively and efficiently and very accurately, doesn’t mean I can’t value the other specific, detailed positives a laser could give in certain, specific, situations and/or terms of use.

I don’t consider it anymore silly, or any less important than a red dot sight on an shotgun or a front and rear folding back up sight on a scoped AR-15.

Just because a laser is on my G43X. No one should assume I can’t or won’t use my iron sights in most situations.

I have practiced enough with the iron sights and with the laser on my Glock to know one thing for certain.

When I practice taking headshots on paper silhouette targets. If I use my iron sights to shoot the forehead of the target and then compare that three shot group to shooting the target’s forehead while still using the iron sights, but instead of just using those iron sights to aim at the head all alone, I instead, use those same iron sights to aim at that red dot from the laser that’s on the forehead?

My groups from using the iron sights to aim at the small red laser dot on the forehead, is a much smaller group, when compared to just aiming those iron sights at a forehead with no red dot.

Why is that? Could it be, using iron sights to shoot at the small red dot assists with the “eternal truth” and saying of,

“aim small miss small?” :)

I think if needing to take a slow, methodical, critical and accurate shot is ever needed, using your iron sights to aim at a small optional laser dot on the intended target, is going to be a much more accurate shot then just aiming the sights at the bigger target?

If carrying a laser is just an option, instead of people looking at it like an either or?

Look at it like not using the laser dot to aim the gun, use the laser dot to aim your iron sights at! It makes a smaller target which in turn makes for smaller groups and even smaller misses! :)

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks Rob, while you speak an obvious truth, I think most people only consider employing the laser from below the line of sight as if "point shooting" and not employing both the laser and irons together. Great post!

Apropos, just replaced my compact red SIG laser with this green laser combo on my P229 house gun. Not a dazzle light but just for ID and housecleaning. Pretty impressed with the size and weight of the unit, and best of all magnetic charging with an external ready indicator - can't remember how many times I had to replace those dang button batteries at the most inopportune time. Very handy at 25-50 feet.

20210312_152103.jpg

Top Bottom