What's new

College Hockey

Funny how college hockey is big in the US but not in Canada. When I played college hockey in the 80’s, we would have about 10 fans in the crowd at games. And they were almost exclusively girlfriends.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Funny how college hockey is big in the US but not in Canada. When I played college hockey in the 80’s, we would have about 10 fans in the crowd at games. And they were almost exclusively girlfriends.
You go to York? Ryerson? Guelph? U of T? I'm old enough to remember when the Royal Military College team would come down to Boston and beat all of the local college teams- Harvard, BC, BU, etc. Not any more.

Junior hockey is not nearly as well developed here as it is in Canada. That has something to do with it. Also, until recently hockey was a regional niche sport in the States- really only played in New England, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. It wasn't a national sport here. It still isn't, at least in terms of kids playing.

You go to York? Ryerson? Guelph? U of T? I'm old enough to remember when the Royal Military College team would come down to Boston and beat all of the local college teams- Harvard, BC, BU, etc. Not any more.

Junior hockey is not nearly as well developed here as it is in Canada. That has something to do with it. Also, until recently hockey was a regional niche sport in the States- really only played in New England, New York, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. It wasn't a national sport here. It still isn't, at least in terms of kids playing.
I played for Centennial College for one year when I tried to become a photo journalist. Not they highest level of College hockey by any stretch!

Yeah. Anemic showing by tbe Terriers yesterday. I guess I am not surprised. We have not been a dominant team despite the double figure wins. I expect an early exit from the tournament, if we get in.

Owen Bawn

St Cloud State just took Minnesota Duluth out in a terrific game; Penn State has taken Wisconsin to OT; then we still have Michigan-Minnesota and North Dakota-Denver on tap tonight. Too bad that all this outstanding hockey has to take place at the same time.

Owen Bawn

Wisconsin won in OT but now Minnesota and Michigan are headed for overtime, while Denver leads No Dakota 1-0 after 2. I've gotta go to bed, so I'll play back the ends of these two games tomorrow. Me? I wanna see Minnesota play Wisconsin, and St Cloud play No Dakota tomorrow night. Then Weds BC plays UMass Lowell and Providence plays UMass after that.

That's a lot of hockey. This thread is stupid. I'm essentially posting to myself.

Owen Bawn

I would like to watch more Badger hockey but down here in Louisiana not many options.
On Wisconsin
I'm in Ohio, so I get Big 10 Network and CBS Sports Network included in my regular cable package, and then I pay a couple bucks a month for a sports package that includes NESN, so I get all the Boston/Hockey East games.

Owen Bawn

Minnesota just beat Michigan, so it's Minnesota & Wisconsin for the B1G championship tomorrow night. College hockey royalty.

Owen Bawn

So much for going to bed. No Dakota scored with a little over a minute left to tie Denver 1-1... more overtime coming. Just today I started a thread about sleep patterns where I wrote that I go to bed around 9. It'll be after midnight tonight.

'It's a great day for hockey.' ~'Badger' Bob Johnson

Owen Bawn

North Dakota wins in OT. Great matchups tomorrow- North Dakota vs St Cloud State, and Wisconsin vs Minnesota.

Owen Bawn

Minnesota was up 5-1 over Wisconsin in the third period but Wisconsin closed it to 5-4 with 4 minutes left. The Gophers scored an empty netter to win the Big 10 championship, 6-4. Great game. In the NCHC North Dakota held off St Cloud State to win the NCHC championship. Hockey East semis tonight- UMass Lowell at BC, and Providence at UMass. This past week of hockey has been incredibly exciting and entertaining.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
I watched the MN-WI game, the volume muted, while I listening to the NoDak-StC game on Grand Forks’ 96.1 ... certainly made for some interesting viewing-listening as my brain did its’ best to recocile what it was seeing-hearing.

NoDak’s play-by-play man summed up the Fighting Sioux’s young post-season following St.C’s goal 2-minutes into the game, when he said: “Here we go again. It looks like the Hawks’ will be spending the evening chasing the game”.

Owen Bawn

I watched the MN-WI game, the volume muted, while I listening to the NoDak-StC game on Grand Forks’ 96.1 ... certainly made for some interesting viewing-listening as my brain did its’ best to recocile what it was seeing-hearing.

NoDak’s play-by-play man summed up the Fighting Sioux’s young post-season following St.C’s goal 2-minutes into the game, when he said: “Here we go again. It looks like the Hawks’ will be spending the evening chasing the game”.
It was great seeing people in the stands at Ralph Engelstat last night. I love the way they give the one finger salute to the NCAA and academic wokeness by chanting "Let's go Sioux!!! Let's go Sioux!!!"

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
It was great seeing people in the stands at Ralph Engelstat last night. I love the way they give the one finger salute to the NCAA and academic wokeness by chanting "Let's go Sioux!!! Let's go Sioux!!!"
And before the puck dropped & in reference to the number of fans present, the color guy quipped: “Here’s hoping that the CDC isn’t watching tonight’s game!”

Somewhat related & at the risk of offending the highly-enlighted, it was refreshing to see the number of folks in the galleries during Florida’s, Arnold Palmer Invitational & The Players Tournament. And if I had to guess, I’d say that this weeks’, Honda Classic will have an even larger gallery.

Last edited:
That's a lot of hockey. This thread is stupid. I'm essentially posting to myself.
I appreciate the quick recaps, even if there is a slight pro BC bias!
ADD: Immediately after posting that, I turned the stream on for the last 2 mins of 2OT in the BC game. Heartbreaker for Eagles fans.

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

I appreciate the quick recaps, even if there is a slight pro BC bias!
ADD: Immediately after posting that, I turned the stream on for the last 2 mins of 2OT in the BC game. Heartbreaker for Eagles fans.
Only a SLIGHT pro BC bias??!?!??!!!?? I must be slipping!

yeah think about the math on that for a minute, you have 20 players on a roster, so while you shared bunks and dorms and bus rides, you also probably shared girls.

As a hockey player and someone that grew up in North Dakota, look out for UND don't ever underestimate them.

LETS GO FIGHTING SIOUX!

Top Bottom