What's new

Check Six

I'm running late because our county got hit by massive flooding and have been busy with cleaning, but wanted to remind everyone that March is Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. It is the third most commonly diagnosed cancer in men and women combine in the U.S. and the second leading cause of cancer death in men and women combined in the U.S. The average lifetime risk for men is 1 in 23. The good news is that survival is possible, and likely, if caught early. The American Cancer Society recently recommended that adults without a family history should begin colorectal cancer screening at age 45 down from 50 because the rates of cancer are rising fastest among the under 50 age group. Screening can save lives. It saved mine.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Just had another camera go through my system (in my mouth and out my como se llama). Diverticulosis. And right now I’m suffering a bout of diverticulitis.
In July I get the down my throatscopy and the up my buttscopy again.
WooHoo

I was having so much fun I forgot about the CT Scan

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Just had another camera go through my system (in my mouth and out my como se llama). Diverticulosis. And right now I’m suffering a bout of diverticulitis.
In July I get the down my throatscopy and the up my buttscopy again.
WooHoo
A good sense of humor is ALMOST a cure for "Go-Lytely"!!! Who actually has ever gone "lightly" with that stuff?

I was blessed. I got to use "Cologard" because I'm on Coumadin.

An absolutely horrible disease.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I always tell my mom that I have all these health issues because she didn’t breastfeed me. She gets really angry with me.
I am the only one in my family who has these issues. Luck of the draw I guess.

FarmerTan

I always tell my mom that I have all these health issues because she didn’t breastfeed me. She gets really angry with me.
I am the only one in my family who has these issues. Luck of the draw I guess.
My son was breast fed. Healthiest person I know.

I had my most recent scope in Feb, 2020. They found and removed a flat polyp. I was supposed to go back for a follow up in September, but decided I didn’t want any part of hospital visits due to the pandemic. When I get vaccinated, I’ll go back. It’s tough to navigate routine screening right now, so I’ll just say, get screened when you can. It could save your life. It saved mine. I’d likely be dead by now if I hadn’t faced my fears 10 years ago and gotten it done.

FarmerTan

Saved my life. Just like a car, preventative maintenance is cheaper and a lot less painful in the long run.
Amen!

I remember back when I maintained my own vehicles, I had a VW pickup. The first sentence in a hokey manual said: remember, it's much more important to stop your car than it is to start it.

Ever since then, that sentence has stayed with me. As a nurse, I am a terrible person for saying one thing and doing the opposite, but it's true: you are no good to anyone else if you yourself are dead. Take care of yourself.

Amen!

I remember back when I maintained my own vehicles, I had a VW pickup. The first sentence in a hokey manual said: remember, it's much more important to stop your car than it is to start it.

Ever since then, that sentence has stayed with me. As a nurse, I am a terrible person for saying one thing and doing the opposite, but it's true: you are no good to anyone else if you yourself are dead. Take care of yourself.

If healthy I think all of us tend to not think a major health problem will occur. I am guilty of that and have overlooked things in the past. Without going into detail as this is a Check 6 thread, I had an life changing event. Seven months ago I had a widow maker heart attack. I spent 12 weeks in Cardiac Rehab and ended up being one of the fortunate ones. My heart completely recovered. The one thing that they said over and over in Cardiac Rehab was this: If something doesn't feel right go to the hospital, it's better to be sure than dead.

FarmerTan

I had the honor of caring for several folks over the years that are survivors of colorectal cancers. And all of them would tell me to man up and do what it takes, listen to your doctor and get on with it. MANY people are alive today because of routine screening.

Colorectal cancer is so preventable. My family is cursed with it. My brother and I both get polyps. Dad died at 55. His Mom died at 43. Her sister died at 49.

Getting the genetic whammy sucks, but all I have to do is get a scope every 3 years. They’ve probably snipped 12 polyps out of me since 2012. And that’s just it.....remove them and you don’t get cancer. Easy peasy.

I don’t want to hear that the prep is no fun. Guess what it isn’t, but if the choice is an evening on the pot versus months of surgeries, colostomy and chemo, which would you pick?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I don’t want to hear that the prep is no fun. Guess what it isn’t, but if the choice is an evening on the pot versus months of surgeries, colostomy and chemo, which would you pick?

Hear, hear! The prep is hardly is how I'd like to spend my birthday, but I'm happy to do it to have more birthdays. I've only had one colonoscopy, two years ago, but they removed a couple polyps that almost certainly would've been much larger problems somewhere down the road.

My experience with the prep wasn't nearly as bad as many of the stories I heard. I followed THIS ADVICE, and I imagine that helped.

Top Bottom