What's new

How many brushes do you have in your rotation?

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I sold my Thäters in favour of Shavemacs. The Thäters were too soft for me. I didn’t know you could get too soft but they were. No face feel at all and very low backbone. If you like soft these are the ticket.

The Plisson’s are great. I love the high loft. You don’t get any soap riding up the handle with these which is a pet peeve of mine. They aren’t big backbone brushes but they are no mops either. They just work. I’m surprised they don’t get more love around here. Both are plenty soft with zero scritch. The European White is a touch softer and the High Mountain White has a touch more backbone.
The only brush I've ever had that was 'too soft' is this late model Rooney 3/3. pictured with two M7s for size perspective. This brush is like a rag mop it is so floppy. Because it is floppy the only way to get the lather on the face is to use only the tips with absolutely no pressure. As a result there's nothing abrasive (in a good way) about lathering with it. I feel nothing... but frustration. The handle itself, however, is becoming unobtainium, so I expect to be selling the brush for around $900 sometime in 2023.

Rooney slrtp.jpegRooney slrtp2.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
The only brush I've ever had that was 'too soft' is this late model Rooney 3/3. pictured with two M7s for size perspective. This brush is like a rag mop it is so floppy. Because it is floppy the only way to get the lather on the face is to use only the tips with absolutely no pressure. As a result there's nothing abrasive (in a good way) about lathering with it. I feel nothing... but frustration. The handle itself, however, is becoming unobtainium, so I expect to be selling the brush for around $900 sometime in 2023.

View attachment 1233204View attachment 1233205
Wow! I get frustrated just looking at that Rooney knot. It looks more like a ladies powder brush than a shaving brush, talk about excessive bloom. I think a reknot is in order 👍

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Wow! I get frustrated just looking at that Rooney knot. It looks more like a ladies powder brush than a shaving brush, talk about excessive bloom. I think a reknot is in order 👍
I've thought about that but I have no desire to use a brush that big. There are Rooney aficionados out there who enjoy such brushes. Eventually the brush will end up with someone who will appreciate it.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
The ones I use:

In the scuttle: Soc boar (resin handle, some letters - maybe TL - I recall they only made a limited number) is main brush. If I go two days in a row I alternate a Thater boar or a cherry handled SOC boar.

Kent BK8 : When I'm in need of some tlc.

Face lathering: home - SOC 2 band badger. My travel brush is an EVO (Omega synthetic).

Currently I have 5 brushes in my rotation. A sixth brush, an Omega 24mm synthetic Hi Brush is my dedicated travel brush and lives in my dopp kit. I just ordered a seventh brush this morning, a PAA Peregrino 24mm Roswell (grey) Hybrid Synth Brush. My plan is to stop at 7 brushes(in rotation, 8 total) and use a different one everyday. I mostly use a shave scuttle so I prefer longer handles.

From left to right: WCS 26mm Two Tone Silvertip. WCS 24mm Beacon Silvertip, AP Shave Co. 26mm Cashmere fan, Yaqi Rainbow 26mm brown synthetic and Yaqi 24mm bluish violet synthetic.

Brushes 5.jpg

Hey South Dakota Guy .... Nice brushes. What are those four beautiful razors in the background ?
Thanks! 5 razors. From left to right Timeless SS .68 SB, Gillette Heritage (Muhle R89 head, WCS 79S handle), Rockwell 6S, Henson AL13 Medium razor, and Gillette post war Tech with a WCS 78S handle. I prefer larger handles so I use larger aftermarket handles on the two Gillette razors. I feel like it gives me more positive control of the razors.

One. Don't really see the point in rotating.
ALL of mine are Badger, perhaps if I used different types of brushes then I would rotate.
Many more in waiting for their turn.
I'm sure I will outlive some of them and the grandkids will have something of mine for themselves, that and a few razors:)

Top Bottom