What's new

I Just Ordered My First Shavemac Brush. Any Thoughts?

After playing around with Shavemac’s configurator for a week, I finally jumped the gun & bought a D01 2-Band brush with a 24mm fan knot, 50mm loft, & handle style 167. I would have liked a 52mm loft just in case 50 is to scritchy but it would only let me add 2mm & I do like some scritch anyway. My current brush is a Simpsons Tulip 3 with a 22mm knot & a 51mm loft. I like my Tulip but I wanted something denser & firmer to complement it. Any thoughts on the D01 2-band? I was also considering the D01 3-Band but figured it may be too similar in feel to my Simpson.

Last edited:
After playing around with Shavemac’s configurator for a week, I finally jumped the gun & bought a D01 2-Band brush with a 24mm fan knot, 50mm loft, & handle style 167. I would have liked a 52mm loft just in case 50 is to scritchy but it would only let me add 2mm & I do like some scritch anyway. My current brush is a Simpsons Tulip 3 with a 22mm knot & a 51mm loft. I like my Tulip but I wanted something denser & firmer to complement it. Any thoughts on the D01 2-band? I was also considering the D01 3-Band but figured it may be too similar in feel to my Simpson.
If anything, you may wish you had a 24/48 ratio, but the 24/50 will be fine. The loft should have nothing to do with scritchy. If the hair is scritchy, it won't matter what loft you set it, at least IMO. The D01-2 band is my preferred knot over most any other knot. It is dense and a scrubber in a good way. The D01-3 band as you mentioned is very similar to a Chubby Best or similar dense knot that feels like a cloud of badger. Your new Shavemac will be absolutely nothing like your Simpson Tulip 3 with a 22/51mm knot. It is a good thing to have variety.

With all that said, congratulations, I think you will love it!

My 24/50 D01 Two Band Bulb has tons of scrub and backbone but no scritch. I’m eyeing a Fan to compliment it as well.

66F6AD0A-387E-4002-94D0-65E9D2142D12.jpeg

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The D01 two band is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a fine knot.

I'd say to expect huge backbone and scrub. People are not kidding about these attributes when they discuss the D01 two band.

It's also very dense. Which makes it, of course, somewhat hard to rinse and something of a lather hog.

The knot is not going to be all that soft to begin with. Yes, used like a paint brush it's very soft, and it's soft enough pushed into the face enough to splay, but it might be kinda pokey pushed lightly into the skin. After a number of uses the knot will feel softer. In all respects, it's a knot worth breaking in and getting to know.

I've not used that handle but it looks great.

Some people prefer the non-D01 two band. I can see why. I have two of the non-DO1 versions. One is a very nice brush, probably significantly better than most other two bands I've tried. The other was custom ordered years ago in a denser than normal knot; it's a wonderful knot and brush. Both of these two bands are great. I'm not sure whether I like them better or my D01 two band better. All are outstanding knots and brushes.

If you don't like the brush someone will be glad to take it off your hands. I'm not that somebody as I like larger knots, but I think you're going to like the brush and want to keep it forever.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If anything, you may wish you had a 24/48 ratio, but the 24/50 will be fine. The loft should have nothing to do with scritchy. If the hair is scritchy, it won't matter what loft you set it, at least IMO. The D01-2 band is my preferred knot over most any other knot. It is dense and a scrubber in a good way. The D01-3 band as you mentioned is very similar to a Chubby Best or similar dense knot that feels like a cloud of badger. Your new Shavemac will be absolutely nothing like your Simpson Tulip 3 with a 22/51mm knot. It is a good thing to have variety.

Thanks for the information. I’m just overthinking again in relation to the loft. I’m looking forward to the D01 2-band as it sounds very different than the majority of brushes available.

The D01 two band is not everyone's cup of tea, but it's a fine knot.

I'd say to expect huge backbone and scrub. People are not kidding about these attributes when they discuss the D01 two band.

It's also very dense. Which makes it, of course, somewhat hard to rinse and something of a lather hog.

The knot is not going to be all that soft to begin with. Yes, used like a paint brush it's very soft, and it's soft enough pushed into the face enough to splay, but it might be kinda pokey pushed lightly into the skin. After a number of uses the knot will feel softer. In all respects, it's a knot worth breaking in and getting to know.

I've not used that handle but it looks great.

Some people prefer the non-D01 two band. I can see why. I have two of the non-DO1 versions. One is a very nice brush, probably significantly better than most other two bands I've tried. The other was custom ordered years ago in a denser than normal knot; it's a wonderful knot and brush. Both of these two bands are great. I'm not sure whether I like them better or my D01 two band better. All are outstanding knots and brushes.

If you don't like the brush someone will be glad to take it off your hands. I'm not that somebody as I like larger knots, but I think you're going to like the brush and want to keep it forever.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I’ve heard the same regarding the long break-in period but honestly that is one thing that sold me on the brush. Even it takes a long time to break-in & only softens up a little bit than my thought was that it will last a very long time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
The D01 two band is definitely very dense and also has quite a back bone and scrub, but it has no scritch at all.
I always say it is an acquired taste, but if you want backbone then this is the brush to get!!

The D01 two band is definitely very dense and also has quite a back bone and scrub, but it has no scritch at all.
I always say it is an acquired taste, but if you want backbone then this is the brush to get!!
Thanks for the reply & by the way you make some very nice looking brushes as well.

@Rudy Vey told us about the measurements of Shavemac. The 24mm are measured at the very bottom whereas the 50mm are measured from the visual part. So if you have calipers handy it should read 25/50 for the actual brush = the golden 1:2 ratio.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
RudyVey.Shavemac.D01.2Band.@Holden.2020.640.JPG

Mine's a fan. In this photo it was on a beach trip.

Executive#5.RV-D01.Vitos.2-23-21.640.JPG

Here's a SOTD photo of the same brush.

RudyVey.UsedOnce.top.D01.8-20.640.JPG

This doesn't come close to capturing the knot's density.

For the record, the knot is a Shavemac D01 two band in, if memory serves me, 26 mm. The handle is a Rudy Vey creation. Very nice brush it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

View attachment 1232902

Mine's a fan. In this photo it was on a beach trip.

View attachment 1232903

Here's a SOTD photo of the same brush.

View attachment 1232904

This doesn't come close to capturing the knot's density.

For the record, the knot is a Shavemac D01 two band in, if memory serves me, 26 mm. The handle is a Rudy Vey creation. Very nice brush it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim
That is a sweet looking brush. I may have to get myself a custom brush from Rudy Vey in a few years.

I decided to message Shavemac and ask if they could customize the 167 handle & add an extended rim around the top. I love rims around the top of my handles & it seems like the 167 would be perfect with one. Hopefully they say they can.

Top Bottom