What's new

FaTip Alignment Issues?

Is FaTip still having manufacturing issues affecting proper alignment. The more I read about their performance the more I want to try one but I don't want to fuss over checking alignment and having that negatively affect my shaves.

Most of them are good but if you look into the Fatip Slant/FOCS thread you see that some people have alignment issue reported. Very few received pieces with major issues.

I bought one not to long ago and it was fine. I don't think their problem with alignment is as bad as it use to be. I'm happy with mine.
Here is my Fatip Grande in nickel that I love.

Fatip_Grande.JPG

The posts on the cap arent thick enough to securely hold the blade in the same place so fatips you just assemble the head and adjust the blade manually to get it even. It's not a big deal, I've done it daily with my fatip piccolo and schone for ages and it only takes 20 seconds. Received my fatip slant today and while the blade falls into place much more accurately it's still not a perfect line up each time because it's not desinged to be.

It's genuinely not an issue so don't worry about it, it's easy to line up and the shaves are superb.

Is FaTip still having manufacturing issues affecting proper alignment. The more I read about their performance the more I want to try one but I don't want to fuss over checking alignment and having that negatively affect my shaves.
The two Fatip I have in the last 2 years have had some degree of blade alignment problem. Somewhere more, somewhere less.

My FaTip purchased about a year ago had alignment issues. It's not too much trouble to manually align the blade. The weird thing is that mine still gives good shaves even if the blade isn't aligned right 🤷‍♂️

I've recently bought a Schone, which is made by Fatip and almost the same, but with fewer and thicker teeth and I think it doesn't have misalignment issues, but somehow mine came with Fatip Piccolo handle and not the spiral Grande handle, which is very disappointing. I've owned a Fatip Grande, which I sold shortly after i've got my FOCS and both have misalignment issues.

I'm not sure what are the chances of getting a ''perfect'' Fatip, because some people had luck from the first try, but the majority have at least slight misalignment issues. Also, beware when buying a Schone razor from Amazon. I couldn't do anything about it, since i've asked a friend to buy it and send it to me to Europe and it was then I realised that i've got mine with the Piccolo handle, which i've used a few times and I hate with passion.

I have both the Fatip OC Grande and FOCS and both are not perfect with some alignment issues but however, both give me perfectly smooth enjoyable shaves. Just some fiddling require. I found that exchanging the handle between the 2 razors reduces the misalignment...YMMV of course.

I've owned four different Fatips over the past several years. None aligned perfectly every time, but each could be properly aligned with a little manual correction. I've heard of examples that were so far off that they could not even be manually aligned, but none of mine were anywhere close to that bad. My experience is that the more recently produced Fatips do have consistently better tolerances than earlier models, but still most will not be perfect. On the other hand, they are solid brass razors for around $30 that shave exceptionally well, so I can certainly forgive the need to take a few seconds to check and adjust alignment.

The bottom line with the Fatip is you should assume that some minor fiddling will most likely be required to achieve perfect alignment. But also know that the shave will be well worth this small inconvenience. My advice is to not let perfect be the enemy of good and get one.

I own a Fatip OC which I bought a couple of years ago, and the alignment isn't great, and requires a bit of fiddling when loading a new blade. Also, once this has been done it's scarcely worth the effort as, for me, it feels like I'm dragging a rusty cutlass across my neck. YMMV.

I must be very lucky. My FOCS has no blade alignment problem, crooked post, or any other defect. it really works like a charm. I'm sorry that so many others can't enjoy what this razor can do because of obvious and dangerous manufacturing inconsistencies.

Gillette Old Types, Older Merkurs, etc. may require fiddling with the blade to get everything centered. But nobody writes multi-page complaint posts about "alignment issues" for those razors. Only Fatip gets that treatment for some reason. The drumbeat goes on and on...

🤔

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy great shaves with my Fatips.

I’m just presenting the facts of my experience. As I have with my other razors. I had a really nice shave with this razor today, despite the issues.
Gillette Old Types, Older Merkurs, etc. may require fiddling with the blade to get everything centered. But nobody writes multi-page complaint posts about "alignment issues" for those razors. Only Fatip gets that treatment for some reason. The drumbeat goes on and on...

🤔

Meanwhile, I'll continue to enjoy great shaves with my Fatips.

All thank you for your feedback. As always it is clearly a YMMV situation. All of the razors I currently own align perfectly and many are over 70 years old. I appreciate that type of quality and I know a fiddly razor would give me OCD fits.
The "alignment issues" are greatly exaggerated, IMHO. IIt's true the tolerances are somewhat loose, but it's nothing to worry about in my experience. If you have a razor where the blade can't be centered, that would be considered defective -- just return it and get one that is not defective. Otherwise, enjoy the razor. I just load mine and go.

Yeah, despite the slight misalignment, Fatips are great razors and also very inexpensive. Most people get used to the adjustment of the blade before shaving and after a while they don't pay that much attention, but for some it's a nightmare. I don't know if it's true, but I was told a while ago that the Schone version of the Fatip OC has a less chance of having alignment issues and I took the risk and bought one and mine is perfect most of the times, but it came with a Piccolo handle instead of the Grand spiral type. Or perhaps I was very lucky with mine, despite getting the wrong handle, so don't take my word for it!

Yeah, despite the slight misalignment, Fatips are great razors and also very inexpensive. Most people get used to the adjustment of the blade before shaving and after a while they don't pay that much attention, but for some it's a nightmare. I don't know if it's true, but I was told a while ago that the Schone version of the Fatip OC has a less chance of having alignment issues and I took the risk and bought one and mine is perfect most of the times, but it came with a Piccolo handle instead of the Grand spiral type. Or perhaps I was very lucky with mine, despite the handle, so don't take my word for it!
This problem with the wrong handle happened to quite a few people, me included. Evidently, these are coming from the vendor, Alrossa. One person returned their razor and ordered another one, only to have the same thing happen again. I complained to Alrossa the product I received did not match the Amazon listing. They asked me to send in a photo to show them.

This problem with the wrong handle happened to quite a few people, me included. Evidently, these are coming from the vendor, Alrossa. One person returned their razor and ordered another one, only to have the same thing happen again. I complained to Alrossa the product I received did not match the Amazon listing. They asked me to send in a photo to show them.

Afaik, the only one who still has Schone razors in stock ( or the only one I could find) is Alrossa and like you said they sell them on Amazon. I bought mine from there, but since i'm from Europe I had to send it to a friend of mine and then he send it to me along with other razors and there's no way I can return it or do anything about it. Since I sold my Fatip OC i'm using the handle of my FOCS with the Schone head.

I've tried shaving only once with the Piccolo handle and I think that's the worst handle i've ever used. It's super small and slim and even the ball end handles for Tech and NEW razors are way better. At least the head doesn't have issues and I might ask around the local facebook shaving groups if anyone doesn't like his Grand handle and wants to trade it for mine. It's a long shot, but I have nothing to lose.

Top Bottom