What's new

Ach. Brito Mogno, a new Old School classic

Wonder how it compares to the new Musgo soap by Ach Brito ?

Here was Marco's perspective from a few days ago. Someone else (can't recall who) did a comparison review with similar conclusion. That said, the best way to find out which performs better for you is to buy both. :)

Musgo Real Classic and Mogno have almost everything in common: same manufacturer (Ach. Brito), same ease of latherability, a very close ingredients list. Scent profile is magnificent on both, but much different.

Musgo Real Classic is, in my opinion, ever so slightly better in terms of richness and density of lather. But again, these differences are minimal and I think many wet shavers probably would not even notice them. I say so because I know I am a perfectionist, a pernickety person and often split hairs. The true reality is that both are FANTASTIC and both are worth keeping in the den. Absolutely. :thumbup:

Saponificio Varesino? Just as great, but with many complex scents, beautiful tins and matching bath soaps, after shaves and colognes.

I had a similar experience with Arko. I actually like the scent, but something about the soap gave me a razor-burn like sensation the first few times I used it. I put the opened stick on a shelf for a long while before trying it again. No more skin irritation, and it's among my favorite soaps now.

I grated my bar into a bowl a while ago, hoping the scent would wear off. I'll try it again in a few weeks!

Here was Marco's perspective from a few days ago. Someone else (can't recall who) did a comparison review with similar conclusion. That said, the best way to find out which performs better for you is to buy both. :)
Well, there is the cost factor:
Soap
Cost per 150g (refill)
Mogno
$6.93
Musgo Real
$21.28
Saponificio Varesino
$29.53

It's interesting the Mogno is roughly 1/3 the cost of Musgo Real and 1/4 the cost of SV.

That looks like regular bar soap. The Musgo shaving soap is round.

Nope. The Ach Brito Musgo linked by @Doti B is a shaving soap; I enlarged the picture (below) and it says "Sabonet de Barbear". But it's not the same as Musgo Real, which is a Claus Porto product. The Musgo that @Doti B has linked is also the only Musgo on the Ach Brito website. At $5.00, I'm keen to try it!

proxy.php

I believe Claus Porto is a subsidiary/brand of Ach Brito. Is Musgo Real manufactured in the Ach Brito factory and rebadged as a Claus Porto product, or does Claus Porto manufacturer Musgo Real in a separate factory? At any rate, here is a pic of the Musgo Real box with the Claus Porto branding. Below that is a link to the Claus Porto website.

proxy.php

Last edited:
They are part of the same company. Claus Porto is the luxury side of the business. The Ach. Brito name is used for more everyday stuff. Somewhat similar, but not identical products.

They are part of the same company. Claus Porto is the luxury side of the business. The Ach. Brito name is used for more everyday stuff. Somewhat similar, but not identical products.

That's what I thought, I was just curious is there was more than one factory; my guess is that there is only one.

Has anybody tried the Ach Brito Musgo (as distinct from Claus Porto Musgo Real)? I'm guessing it's the same soap base as Mogno with a Musgo (moss) fragrance, but it's possible it's a different base. If so, that would be pretty exciting.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Nope. The Ach Brito Musgo linked by @Doti B is a shaving soap; I enlarged the picture (below) and it says "Sabonet de Barbear".
The link I posted was taken direct from Ach Brito website and the description is for shaving soap

Ok, that's weird! :crazy:

The first time I clicked on that link, it took me to a rectangular cake of Musgo, similar to the Mogno, but now it's taking me to the same round soap that I linked to :letterk1:

I did a bit of google-fu this morning, and found someplace that sells new Ach Brito Musgo. Fendrihan's has it for $14.00. It looks like it's out of stock at the moment. I'm sorely tempted to buy some. Does anyone know where it's possible to buy it? I can't find anyplace that will ship to a US address.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
My guess is that this new Ach. Brito Musgo shaving soap has not been released or distributed to retailers yet. Maybe, our Supporting Vendor @Gifts & Care can shed some light on this?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sadly that site does not ship to the US. I will have to bide my time!

Sir, do not worry. It will soon be available.

By the way, the one thing that I do not like about this new Musgo shaving soap is that it seems to have no box or container. The Mogno comes in a sturdy cardboard box that I use to keep the soap in after use (once dry). The Mogno box is also a very beautiful vintage style choice.

Guys, how does the performance of the soap of this thread compare to more expensive ones such as SV or MdC? On performance and not scent as my sense of smell, is poor and I feel not worthy of soaps with expensive scents.

Top Bottom