What's new

SV vs. MdC

I have/had both. MdC in Rose and Agrumes. SV in Stella, Felce, and Dolomiti. I like MdC a bit more since it is easier to lather and makes slightly better lather. I find it is a lot more economical on a per shave basis. That said, I do love SV and the post-shave is terrific. The best scents are Rose and Felce, but each is outstanding.

You have chosen two of the best, if not the best soaps available.

If buying "blind" I would recommend MdC. Both soaps are excellent, but there are a couple SV scents that I really dislike (I HATE 70th Anniversary!). MdC's fragrances are so light that, even if you don't love the scent (people often dislike Original), it's gone by the end of your shave. But again, both soaps are great performers!

Last edited:
I prefer SV over MdC.
The latter is easier to lather and
may last a bit longer ,but certainly
does not have the post shave feel
and care of the SV .

I’ve also discovered that the MdC
soaps dry my skin a bit .
I feel it quite “streched” after the shave,while the SV always leave
my skin firm and soft .

I prefer also the more complex
scents of the SV over the simpler
and fainter scents of MdC.

Generally speaking ,the french
shaving soaps are a bit more alkaline
than the italian.
But as always YMMV .

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I use both. I finish every shave with WH w/aloe and moisturizer, so I don't notice any difference in face feel after that routine.

SV doesn't work in my scuttle with too hot (140 degrees) tap water. MdC works fine.

I can't imagine you being disappointed with either if you face lather. I don't know yet, but I'm getting the distinct impression that SV will end up being quite a bit more expensive in use. I order MdC from France 2 at a time and it cost me a little under $50 a year (13 months to a jar). The SV was $43 and I'm not at all sure it's going to last a year - maybe not even close. But time will tell. I'll let you know many months from now.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My vote
PXL_20210303_125835871.PORTRAIT.jpg

I've only tried a mdc sample- fougere, and I like it a lot.
My favorite scent in shaving could be SV 70th. It's amazing. I have the soap and AS.
I also like Opuntia and Felce.

I have both and love both, MdC Agrumes and SV Opuntia (4.3). Both lather easily, both shave smoothly, both rinse off easily. The SV does have some extra post-shave conditioning over MdC, but that also means the MdC makes me feel like a have a 'cleaner' face. If that feel doesn't matter so much (such as you like using an aftershave), and absent cost (there are honest debates on that one), it might really come down to the scent you prefer. I know you have Dolomiti on the way, so congrats!

Agreed! I have an MdC Fougere sample in the house from Maggards. I wonder how many shaves that little thing will give me. 20? 40? :). I bought a number of samples when M last had a sample sale.

An unrelated but very related question to all MDC and SV users:

Do you routinely use some sort of alum after shaving?

Yes

No

How does it feel.....

Yes

No

How does it feel.....

I use both of them regularly.

SV is not easy to lather but many gents said post shave is better than MdC and their scents are wonderful so no need for alum.

On the other hand I can get very slick and unique lather with MdC yet I only need alum post shave if I choose aggressive razor. MdC likes to dry our skins with clean feel after all.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Yes

No

How does it feel.....

Never. But it's a very personal decision, your skin is not the same as mine. I don't find it necessary to use alum at all after shaving, with any brand soap/cream.

But I rarely use any AS products. Save for vintage Avon, mainly because of the totally friggin' awesome scents. On the rare occasion I have a rough shave, I sooth with Lucky Tiger Tonic. Great stuff.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I've only used MdC. Someday I will try SV. What confuses me about SV is everyone says Beta 4.3 is best. Why do they keep making 4.2, 4.1 and so on?

I will always like MdC in my stable because they get scents right. Their original and vetyver are great. Someday I will try the Rose.

I've only used MdC. Someday I will try SV. What confuses me about SV is everyone says Beta 4.3 is best. Why do they keep making 4.2, 4.1 and so on?

I will always like MdC in my stable because they get scents right. Their original and vetyver are great. Someday I will try the Rose.
Apart from waiting for finishing of the existing stocks before introduction of improved formulations, the slickest formulations kept for straight razor users. i.e. Stella Alpina in 4.2a and Tundra Alpina in 4.1.

I've only used MdC. Someday I will try SV. What confuses me about SV is everyone says Beta 4.3 is best. Why do they keep making 4.2, 4.1 and so on?...
I think this is because there's a lot of regulations on cosmetic products in the EU. Once a particular formulation has been through that process, they may not want to go through it again just for a minor reformulation. For example, for a long time Felce Aromatica stayed at v4.0. Eventually, the new version came out at v4.3.
svfa-v40.jpeg
svfa-v43.jpeg

Top Bottom