What's new

What cologne disappointed you?

I was underwhelmed to the degree of disappointment by Tom Ford Oud Wood. I love oud and hear great things about Tom Ford, but the scent, performance, everything was quite disappointing. And would still have been a disappointment at half the price.

MG

Guerlain Vetyver, just not for me.

Interesting because I quite liked it in the beginning and have come to not use it anymore. I just don't seem to enjoy it anymore. Feels awkward on me now. And that is not usually how these things progress for me. Most of the time, I get used to and begin to like fragrances I didn't love in the beginning. This one has made the return trip...

Interesting because I quite liked it in the beginning and have come to not use it anymore. I just don't seem to enjoy it anymore. Feels awkward on me now. And that is not usually how these things progress for me. Most of the time, I get used to and begin to like fragrances I didn't love in the beginning. This one has made the return trip...
Interesting comments. It has surprised me to some extent how popular Guerlain Vetiver is, at least around here. I think I would say the same about Habit Rouge. These are older fragrances at this point, that I love, but I can see how they might not appeal at this point to many. For that matter, I have been and remain a big vetiver fan, but vetivers seem somewhat out of style.

I think I good thread would be "what fragrances did you once love that you now dislike, either because you wore them some much or others did that you became sick of them or for other reasons?" I suppose a narrower thread could be "what scents did you at first hate, that you came to like, but now again do not like?" Or maybe, "what scents do you still love, but no longer wear and why?"

I think for the longest time, there were scents that I did not like at first but that I came to really like. But I think that is when I was less familiar with the broad array of scents out there. I cannot remember, for instance, what I first thought of 88. Although I claim to love vetivers, I do not find myself wearing heavy, smoky ones. I recently started wearing Aramis occasionally. For a long time, I thought it had been too overdone and was too specifically late 1980s and thus ran the risk of being worn in jest. At one point I really liked Gucci Rush. It seems perhaps too close to furniture polish now most of the time to actually wear.

Or maybe, "what scents do you still love, but no longer wear and why?

Oddly enough, Habit Rouge. I still love the scent, in large part because it IS so old school. But my wife loathes rose scents and doesn't like it nearly so much as I do, so it has been relegated to days when I am home alone.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I hate to say this, but I agree.
Same here, Aspen was, when I first discovered it, sometime around 1990? me thinks? Anyway, I really liked it. Newlyish married, rarely wore frags....it kind of became my signature scent, if I really had one.

Then I just got away from it. No real reason. But when I returned to it, I really didn't like it. I actually think it may have "gone bad." I have smelled it several times in last several years, especially around Christmas, hoping to like it again, and it just doesn't do it for me. BUT! A few months ago the War Department was feeling mellow and found the funds in the coffers to allow me to purchase some "Pino Sylvestere" and not only does it remind me of Aspen more than a little, my lovely bride actually likes the smell. I have heard it described as a summer scent by some, and a winter scent by others, and the more I wear it, I agree with what someone said somewhere that it reminded them of an "Italian Barbershop smell." And though I have never been to Italy, I definitely get that vibe.

It lasts a bit for an EdT/aftershave, and it's cheap!

I really wonder if Aspen has gone down in quality with reformulation over the years. Based on what I read about it, I bought a bottle blind, and it just did not seem to match the reviews.

A few years back I purchased Chanel Allure from a department store thinking I would love it like I once did over a decade ago. I don't know if they changed something in it or not, but that stuff was nothing like how I remembered it.

I mostly just use TDH now days.

A few years back I purchased Chanel Allure from a department store thinking I would love it like I once did over a decade ago. I don't know if they changed something in it or not, but that stuff was nothing like how I remembered it.

I mostly just use TDH now days.
Well, Terre d'Hermes smells a heck of a lot better anyway, so sounds like you made a great upgrade.

Le eau de Issey pour homme. Headachy, synthetic, despite a million good reviews. Gave to wife, don't laugh, could be unisex. Lemon fizz right?

Le Male. Now you can laugh! minty fougere doesn't work, again a million positive reviews. Could be a biased crowd that likes the bottle ... should toss it. Or leave it at that one bar downtown ...

AA

I've been given Issey Miyake... I rarely use it... initially it's okay... though later on, it has a urine like smell to it rather than "fizzy lemon".

Actually I'd say about 90% of scents out there do not appeal to me.
About 5% are amazing to me... with some kind of wow factor...
5% are... I'd wear it and it is awesome.
30% are meh... that's not for me...
10% are deceptive... nice smelling until you try it and then have to put it up with it for a day. For me Apsley by T&H is exactly that... absolutely super terrific to smell for a short time. Then nausea for the rest of the day. Eucris is so similar to Apsley but even much more intense.
50% are straight up offensive

My favourites are (that I could bathe in):
Chanel Blue - there's a few... most are excellent
Acqua de Gio
Sandalwood by T&H
Sauvage by Dior

I think if we blind buy something and it's not in the top 10% of our likes, then we are going to disappointed, as it is rarer to find something amazing then something meh or yuk!

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
I cannot abide Brut. I have bad memories of the 1970’s when every other person seem bathe in it. Total overkill made me hate it. Back then I tried it but it didn’t work for me.

Top Bottom