What's new

5 Over-Rated Wet Shaving Products – With Better Alternatives

Since we are talking about breweries, I will add to the story.

In 1978 I was on a business trip to Dubuque, Iowa. I was preparing my witnesses for a hearing when my star witness suggested we break for dinner. We went to a restaurant, The Star, that was connected to a brewery, the Dubuque Star Brewing Company. There were five or six of us and we ended up in a private room. After dinner, I commented to the restaurant manager that I liked the historic theme of the restaurant. He then took me on a tour of the restaurant and the brewery next door. I learned that the brewery was the scene of a Sylvester Stallone movie, F.I.S.T. The restaurant had served one of the beers made by the brewery, Yankee Beer. I told the manager that I enjoyed the beer and was surprised by the hills in Dubuque. I had the wrong impression that Dubuque was the typical mid-western flatlands.

We spent about an hour touring both the restaurant and the brewery during which I had the pleasure of meeting the manager of the brewery. He enjoyed the fact that I had asked many questions and enjoyed his historical commentary. He asked me how long I would be in town and I said two more days. We went back to the restaurant the next evening and met the brewery manager again. We chatted for a while and that was when he told me about the Stallone movie that was filmed there. He showed me some photos that had been taken at the time.

The next day I went to the airport and boarded my United flight back to NYC. All of a sudden a flight attendant mentions my name and asks if I am on board. I identified myself and she said there was a package for me. The package was wrapped in brown paper and I had no idea what was in it. When I got home I opened the package and found two six-packs of Yankee Beer together with a note from the manager of the brewery.

I love this story.

I had a college roommate from Dubuque. In 1978, I drove from Austin to Dubuque without sleeping (I was 22 and stupid) to visit him. We went to the Star. Maybe you and I were in the same room at the same time!

Yeah, but did you read the Arko part of my story???

Oh come on. If you had done any research you would know that Arko is controversial when it comes to scent. If you were being facetious/humorous with your initial post then I apologize for misreading your intent. But it seemed to me you were being serious and to call someone out because you didn't like Arko isn't fair. It's a well known, yet polarizing product.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I mean, some people actually like(!) the scent of Xpec original.

It's true!

Just kidding (not really) but one thing I quickly learned is not to pay to much attention to hardware/software recommendations. There are too many variables. Even scents. Matter of fact, a member @FarmerTan who I (used too) respect immensely turned me on to Arko. So I tried it. I'll may never forgive, the memory (and my face) still stings. . .
Man.

I have been UNFRIENDED on FakeBook by MY OWN FAMILY for lesser stuff than that. (That actually IS a true story, doggone!)

But I think you got it wrong: the Arkoman chooses whom he will. If your face was as incredibly handsome as mine (lots of people stop me in publick and ask me if I AM the Arkoman, truly) you too might be able to wear it without damage.

Your face just got too soft with you using all them "DESIGNER" foo foo scented soaps dude.

FarmerTan

Oh come on. If you had done any research you would know that Arko is controversial when it comes to scent. If you were being facetious/humorous with your initial post then I apologize for misreading your intent. But it seemed to me you were being serious and to call someone out because you didn't like Arko isn't fair. It's a well known, yet polarizing product.
No, he actually LIKES me.

You should see what @KeenDogg sez about me!

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Don't fall for it @Wgg2017 ! That farmerguy is pretty cunning. Don't let that "down home" schtick trick you. (just between you and me, I'd steer clear of him in the forums. Nothing but trouble!)

FarmerTan

I'm gonna let you in on the joke. With the possible exception of ME, @shavefan is the nicest person on here. Well, I've HEARD that @It's Hedley might be nice, but I haven't seen it. You just got caught by shavefan's poor attempt at humor! I keep telling him, "dude. Get a sense of humor. Or humour, even if you have to travel to one of them non-American speaking Kountries to get one!"

shavefan

I’m not a fan
I'm gonna let you in on the joke. With the possible exception of ME, @shavefan is the nicest person on here. Well, I've HEARD that @It's Hedley might be nice, but I haven't seen it. You just got caught by shavefan's poor attempt at humor! I keep telling him, "dude. Get a sense of humor. Or humour, even if you have to travel to one of them non-American speaking Kountries to get one!"

Uh, I've been to Niagara Falls. Does that count?

And BTW, thanks for the compliment farmdude! You're the best!

True story time: I was in Milwaukee on business with a colleague and had the opportunity to take the Miller brewery tour, with some additional behind-the-scenes added because we supplied the industrial controls that ran the brewery (that probably tells you who I worked for at the time). We got to the end of the tour and got our samples from the brewmaster. The last beer he gave the tour group, he refused to tell us what it was other than it was his favorite lager to brew. It was a beautiful light golden color, served perfectly chilled, and tasted clean, crisp, refreshing, with malt playing delicately with hops on the tongue; in short, an amazing lager. After we finished drinking it and expressed our delight, he told us, "You've just had Miller Lite the way it was meant to be drunk, fresh from lagering." Turns out that Miller Lite is difficult to brew correctly and really doesn't have a long shelf life at all because of the recipe, so most people have never had the opportunity to experience the beer the way the brewer intended.

TL;DR: Don't take someone else's word about a product. Weigh their opinion appropriately and then see for yourself. Works in beer, shaving, and life.
The best beer I ever. Had was a Budweiser at the brewery tour in St. Louis. I had never drank it before then. I will drink it occasionally now but never as good as the brewery beer.

FarmerTan

The best beer I ever. Had was a Budweiser at the brewery tour in St. Louis. I had never drank it before then. I will drink it occasionally now but never as good as the brewery beer.
I have talked to two other people that have said the same thing about that beer right at the brewery.

FarmerTan

Disclaimer: no Doctor was PHYSICALLY hurt by the proceeding joke.

Those that have a sense of humor (or humour) have heard it a million times and no longer get offended.

FarmerTan

Disclaimer: no Doctor was PHYSICALLY hurt by the proceeding joke.

Those that have a sense of humor (or humour) have heard it a million times and no longer get offended.
Or was that "preceding" joke? Math is hard, but American talk is also tough.

ILUM.jpg

I've never tried any of the products they listed (although MdC is on my to buy list), but the thing that really bugged me about the article was that they promoted the Qshave over the Futur which is essentially just a blatant Chinese copy that promotes itself as "designed in Germany".

Well....for beer, ounce for ounce it was hard to beat "Black Label." It had to be ice cold, and plentiful didn't hurt, but it got the the job done on a Friday night.

If it's just something to get the job done on a Friday night, you can't beat a tin of Super brew, 9% and just over £2 for 500ml 😂

1614884881772.png

Top Bottom