What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Sometimes a brush without high density is perfect like the Semogue SOC Mistura. Also, sometimes high density detracts from the brush. However, generally high density is good.
So true. High density does not mean high quality. Dense also does not mean plush. It's nice to have different face feel brushes. In the end it's about lathering, delivering soap to the face, and how the brush feels on YOUR face. Stirling can deliver a wonderful brush on all of those ends.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I think Stirling has had this soap for quite a while now. I got half of the sample soap with an order of something else. I had never tried before and thought what the hell I'll try it. I was was surprised and pleased that I did. Tj e mint was cooling , but not to much and I really enjoyed the shave. It was very pleasant. It was one of those shaves that wakes you up in the morning, but not one of those menthol shaves that screamed WAKE UP! Although I like those too. I'm happy that Rod included it with my order.

I have a tub of barbershop and I haven't had this problem. I remember struggling a bit in the beginning but I got used to Stirling soaps and I can lather it to my liking every time. Try loading heavy and adding more water if the lather fizzles out.

Also, try scooping out of an almond size or a little more to a bowl, spreading it out thin and loading that way. This allows for a fixed amount of soap instead of guessing how much you load from the tub.

Got in touch with Rod from Stirling, gave me the exact same advice. Worked like a charm.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Creed cologne that smells like coconut and lime? I was also wondering if Stirlings coconut and lime is longer lasting than Creed's?

Sure re Creed's Virgin Island Water. The original version was a groundbreaking, powerful, relatively long-lasting scent (although in my experience no lime scent seems to have great legs), that I did not like at first but came to love. A great scent. The reformulation is a pale imitation at best. Still not a bad scent.

I do not know anything about the Stirling and cannot image that it is anything like the quality of the original VIG.

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Cannot comment on Creed's Virgin Island Water, but I am a big fan of Stirling's Coconut Lime soap. I, too, was taken aback by the scent initially, but have come to love it. Not only is it on your face, it is right there in your face. It's that bold, and makes for a bracing wake-up shave. That said, I've not tried Stirling's EDT or AS.

doctordial

my brain goes "thonk"
I used this soap this morning and found that it had a cooling effect. Not like am over the top or eye watering like some menthol products, but just enough. The was good with also. Mice, clean, and smooth. I followed up with my Barbero No.2 alum block and my home made witch hazel and aloe toner which is heavy on the menthol. Baxter of California aftershave balm. ( I like this stuff because it absorbs quickly and has a citrusy light lemon smell to it. The consistency is like a light gel.) I used Furbo Vintage Blu aftershave for fragrance. The aftershave balm has a little menthol in it too. I GOT MY MENTHOL FIX THIS MORNING

apologies in advance, but I felt compelled to start this thread after the God Tier shave i just experienced.

two passes of mike's barbershop on the dome and face, followed by a 2 minute rinse of ice cold water. that was good enough on its own, but then to top it all off......

a palm full of glorious Stirling Barbershop Splash.

man....

i'm struggling to think of a better cold weather scent....i just had to scrape and claw my way to safety away from my misses who happened to catch a whiff of this heavenly aroma and went completely mad.

do yourself a favor and pick up some of this devil's potion. its a masterpiece.

Recently received a bar of Stirling mentholated unscented pre shave soap and used it today for the first time. The cool factor was very minimal, but the slick factor was large, applying it before mixing my soap and not rinsing it off. I've used other glycerin bars and never felt a difference. But this bar clearly made a difference.

Hello Gents ..... I just finished my first shave with this new brush and I am slightly awe struck !
Face lathered with Stirling Boat Drinks soap, I was able to create a rich, thick, luxurious lather
with plenty of product for three lovely passes.

The brush has a 24 x 50 knot, but seems so much bigger due to its fan shape (my first fan, by the
way --- my other 12 brushes are bulbs.) The densely packed bristles held a ton of lather, but easily
released that lather to create a lovely smooth cushion through which my razor glided smoothly and
efficiently. The brush has plenty of backbone and very soft tips, and the combination seems pretty
darn perfect. A faint badger scent right out of the box, which mostly disappeared after the shave.

The gorgeous handle is very comfortable, and seems like a natural extension of my right hand.
For only $ 33 USD, this brush could possibly be one of the best deals around for a high quality
finest badger. I love my four Simpsons best badgers (Colonel X2L, Special, Berkeley, and Duke 2)
and my Elite Razors Manchurian badger, but this new Stirling will stand up strongly right with them !

First photo is right out of the box and the second shows the beautiful bloom after its first shave.

19ABC152-C69C-452C-AFA6-D217CC5AEB3F_1_201_a.jpeg
56DB6423-AB38-4E6C-B554-303D071B702A.jpeg

Last edited:
What is your take on the fan vs bulb, if you don't mind?

Totally different feelings, both of which are thoroughly enjoyable. More control of lather placement with the bulb,
and a more "lush" lather release with the fan. The 50 mm. loft of the fan seems "just right," and well balanced
with the large handle. I'm a lucky man to be able to add this Stirling to my brush collection.

Nice addition, Adam! Stirling lives up to its name for so many reasons. Looks like you found a winner!

Thank you Sir ! I've enjoyed many different Stirling soaps and A/S splashes over the past few
years, and this brush surely seems to be a winner from the these fine Arkansas folks.
My compliments to Rod and Mandy for their dedication to our wonderful traditional shaving hobby
and their ability to create really terrific products at affordable prices.

Last edited:
Totally different feelings, both of which are thoroughly enjoyable. More control of lather placement with the bulb,
and a more "lush" lather release with the fan. The 50 mm. loft of the fan seems "just right," and well balanced
with the large handle. I'm a lucky man to be able to add this Stirling to my brush collection.
Cool, at a heck of price point too. Thank you for the post!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thank you Sir ! I've enjoyed many different Stirling soaps and A/S splashes over the past few
years, and this brush surely seems to be a winner from the these fine Arkansas folks.
My compliments to Rod and Mandy for their dedication to our wonderful traditional shaving hobby
and their ability to create wonderful products at affordable prices.
And for their service to our country.

Top Bottom