What's new

5 Over-Rated Wet Shaving Products – With Better Alternatives

I haven’t read Mantics article so I might be undated when I say this though I admire his efforts to bring advice and guidance to less experienced practioners in DE shaving.

I do think that giving or offering advice however should either be proven in fact, or an attempt made to achieve fairness and equilibrium in the discussion.

Otherwise it’s just a case of I’m my opinion for what’s is worth, this is the case, however you are welcome to feel differently and hold different opinions

Lol bought the genesis actually due to his review. Very expensive experience and lesson since I had to import it to holland....
But nope he is not always.

I had pretty much the same experience with the Rockwell 6S, but not because of Mantic. When it came out people in every shaving forum or group were like - ''omigosh that's the best razor evah''. Back then I remember the Timeless razor was starting to gain popularity and I was very gullible and almost pulled the trigger, but instead I decided to get the Rockwell 6S. I mean, it has 6 settings, it cost me (I think) 90$ with the discount plus free shipping and people like it, what could possibly go wrong, right?

Oh boy was I wrong! I couldn't get even DFS in some areas no matter which blade, angle, plate, pressure I try and after countless attempts and hopes for it to become my favorite razor, I just gave up and sold it.
Not counting all the Chinese razors that i've bought (Ming Shi 2000S, Yaqi Mellon and Yaqi SE Katana), the Rockwell 6S was the worst razor i've ever bought, but thankfully I managed to get most of my money.

Since then i've learned my lesson and I've met a few people which have similar to my skin and beard and I trust them to some extend about blades and razors. I'm sure the Rockwell 6S works fine for people who shave daily and don't care much about BBS/DFS or those with soft and not very dense whiskers, but it definitely didn't work for me.

The correct answer is Miller Lite ;) or PBR
True story time: I was in Milwaukee on business with a colleague and had the opportunity to take the Miller brewery tour, with some additional behind-the-scenes added because we supplied the industrial controls that ran the brewery (that probably tells you who I worked for at the time). We got to the end of the tour and got our samples from the brewmaster. The last beer he gave the tour group, he refused to tell us what it was other than it was his favorite lager to brew. It was a beautiful light golden color, served perfectly chilled, and tasted clean, crisp, refreshing, with malt playing delicately with hops on the tongue; in short, an amazing lager. After we finished drinking it and expressed our delight, he told us, "You've just had Miller Lite the way it was meant to be drunk, fresh from lagering." Turns out that Miller Lite is difficult to brew correctly and really doesn't have a long shelf life at all because of the recipe, so most people have never had the opportunity to experience the beer the way the brewer intended.

TL;DR: Don't take someone else's word about a product. Weigh their opinion appropriately and then see for yourself. Works in beer, shaving, and life.

True story time: I was in Milwaukee on business with a colleague and had the opportunity to take the Miller brewery tour, with some additional behind-the-scenes added because we supplied the industrial controls that ran the brewery (that probably tells you who I worked for at the time). We got to the end of the tour and got our samples from the brewmaster. The last beer he gave the tour group, he refused to tell us what it was other than it was his favorite lager to brew. It was a beautiful light golden color, served perfectly chilled, and tasted clean, crisp, refreshing, with malt playing delicately with hops on the tongue; in short, an amazing lager. After we finished drinking it and expressed our delight, he told us, "You've just had Miller Lite the way it was meant to be drunk, fresh from lagering." Turns out that Miller Lite is difficult to brew correctly and really doesn't have a long shelf life at all because of the recipe, so most people have never had the opportunity to experience the beer the way the brewer intended.

TL;DR: Don't take someone else's word about a product. Weigh their opinion appropriately and then see for yourself. Works in beer, shaving, and life.
I am Miller Lite fan, especially during baseball season. Probably will have some in my casket to keep me company. I will have to do a brewery tour to try some fresh from the source. Thanks!

I had pretty much the same experience with the Rockwell 6S, but not because of Mantic. When it came out people in every shaving forum or group were like - ''omigosh that's the best razor evah''. Back then I remember the Timeless razor was starting to gain popularity and I was very gullible and almost pulled the trigger, but instead I decided to get the Rockwell 6S. I mean, it has 6 settings, it cost me (I think) 90$ with the discount plus free shipping and people like it, what could possibly go wrong, right?

Oh boy was I wrong! I couldn't get even DFS in some areas no matter which blade, angle, plate, pressure I try and after countless attempts and hopes for it to become my favorite razor, I just gave up and sold it.
Not counting all the Chinese razors that i've bought (Ming Shi 2000S, Yaqi Mellon and Yaqi SE Katana), the Rockwell 6S was the worst razor i've ever bought, but thankfully I managed to get most of my money.

Since then i've learned my lesson and I've met a few people which have similar to my skin and beard and I trust them to some extend about blades and razors. I'm sure the Rockwell 6S works fine for people who shave daily and don't care much about BBS/DFS or those with soft and not very dense whiskers, but it definitely didn't work for me.
Well in this case it worked out for me i bought the genesis and the futul about the same time using the genesis as a springboard. And knowing I needed to learn proper de shaving.
But after some time the core came out which is plastic but shaves better in my case. And the broman pretty much sealed the genesis fate. Why keep a 200 euro wallhanger?
All the time I kept the futul and liked it for that bbs. The snmirn is an evolution futul and it shaves better.

...I'm thinkin' that "The Chosen" have been drinkin' the cheap stuff for a few hours before they apply the Veg!
I'm a-thinkin' you done drunk the Kool-Aid afore you writ this here codswallop!
The Veg is the world's greatest after-shave...bar none! If it was good enough for Napoleon and his lot, it's good enough for the likes of you and me!
GOD SAVE THE VEG!

Shaving is so YMMV. What’s the best soap or razor debates reminds me of asking a musician what’s a better guitar.. Fender or Gibson? Or what’s the better beer? Bud Light or Coors Light, etc. There is no right answer.

Literally anything else when it comes to beer.

Kidding I’m not a beer snob, just giving you the business.

By the way Stan the man is here somewhere...

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most overrated, as an actual shaver would be the aristocrats. They are works of art but as a shaver, way way overrated.

Yeah, they look great and the ones i've tried shave nice, but my Slim and Super Adjustable 109 can do pretty much the same on the proper settings. But i'd rather spend 60$ on a British Aristocrat in good/great condition than on a beaten up Fatboy any day of the week.

Top Bottom