What's new

Better boar brushes

While several here have already extolled the virtues of Zenith brushes, especially the wonderful B2, I’ll throw in a quick plug for Whipped Dog’s boar knot. I just recently picked up a 30mm WD boar knot and have been quite impressed by how easy and soft it’s been while breaking it in. It’s been just a few hand lathers, and I think it might be ready for prime time soon. Good luck in your search.

Gentlemen, what you have been doing to your brushes in refrigators was definitely wrong. I know many of you guys have watched the old mantic59 video in which a gentleman talks about boar brushes being the best and they would leave it in "COLD WATER" for 2-3 days, and then they would start using. Shortly after this video there occured a reddit post saying that "Break-in in refrigator actually works". But this is DEFINITELY NOT what that gentleman in the video or the other Italian barbers do. There he says "ACQUA FREDDA". In translation it may sound "cold water", I agree, but the Italian word "Acqua Fredda" means just usual TAP WATER. "Acqua fredda" can be anything but hot water. So, you put your brush in "acqua fredda" without putting it in refrigator, you change the water in it in order to avoid bacterias etc. If it stinks you give it a lather 2-3 times, and then you put it in water again. You just repeat the cycle for 72hrs. And then, when the time is completed, you take it out and give it a good rub on towel as you would do on a harsh face. And that's it. The whole "refrigator" thing was wrong. It may work for you now, but you CAN NOT know what will happen in the future.

Gentlemen, what you have been doing to your brushes in refrigators was definitely wrong. I know many of you guys have watched the old mantic59 video in which a gentleman talks about boar brushes being the best and they would leave it in "COLD WATER" for 2-3 days, and then they would start using. Shortly after this video there occured a reddit post saying that "Break-in in refrigator actually works". But this is DEFINITELY NOT what that gentleman in the video or the other Italian barbers do. There he says "ACQUA FREDDA". In translation it may sound "cold water", I agree, but the Italian word "Acqua Fredda" means just usual TAP WATER. "Acqua fredda" can be anything but hot water. So, you put your brush in "acqua fredda" without putting it in refrigator, you change the water in it in order to avoid bacterias etc. If it stinks you give it a lather 2-3 times, and then you put it in water again. You just repeat the cycle for 72hrs. And then, when the time is completed, you take it out and give it a good rub on towel as you would do on a harsh face. And that's it. The whole "refrigator" thing was wrong. It may work for you now, but you CAN NOT know what will happen in the future.

I don't know about your translation, this is what Google translate has to say about fredda:

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 6.56.16 PM.png

It says cold. The fridge is cold. :D

Having put several boar brushes in water and refrigerated for 72 hours, I've yet to have a single issue with any of these brushes. They all came out with softer tips and never shed. Most refrigerators are set to 40 deg. F, hardly a temperature that's going to wreck havoc on a brush handle or knot, assuming of course the entire brush isn't submerged for extended periods of time, which is not really a good idea for a brush, even at room temperature.

I don't know about your translation, this is what Google translate has to say about fredda:

View attachment 1212602

It says cold. The fridge is cold. :D

Having put several boar brushes in water and refrigerated for 72 hours, I've yet to have a single issue with any of these brushes. They all came out with softer tips and never shed. Most refrigerators are set to 40 deg. F, hardly a temperature that's going to wreck havoc on a brush handle or knot, assuming of course the entire brush isn't submerged for extended periods of time, which is not really a good idea for a brush, even at room temperature.

"Fredda is cold, so is the fridge" I kinda like the logic tho. I must tell you again, he says "acqua fredda" which translates as "cold water" but is NOT "cold water" it just means "tap water". So it is not that "COLD" as it is in fridge. It is not HOT, It is not FREEZING, it just tap water! And any "cold water" turns into a "warm water" when you leave it on a desk or something like that, yes?

And secondly, you say that you don't have any problem with your brushes etc. But, as you know, this "Pseudo break-in system" (leaving the brush in fridge because it is fredda) DOES NOT HAVE A LONG PAST. So people have been using this method for like 3-5 years. And believe me you don't see any changes in 3-5 years, if you use it in a normal way and I don't say "Something DEFINITELY WILL HAPPEN to your brush", all I am saying is that THERE A PROBLEM MAY OCCUR WITH YOUR BRUSH IN LONG RUN. BUT these people (like the gentleman in Mantic59's video who actually says "ACQUA FREDDA") have been using it for years and years... So it's a proven way to do it. But can you say the same for the "pseudo break-in system" (fridge thing)?

"Fredda is cold, so is the fridge" I kinda like the logic tho. I must tell you again, he says "acqua fredda" which translates as "cold water" but is NOT "cold water" it just means "tap water". So it is not that "COLD" as it is in fridge. It is not HOT, It is not FREEZING, it just tap water! And any "cold water" turns into a "warm water" when you leave it on a desk or something like that, yes?

And secondly, you say that you don't have any problem with your brushes etc. But, as you know, this "Pseudo break-in system" (leaving the brush in fridge because it is fredda) DOES NOT HAVE A LONG PAST. So people have been using this method for like 3-5 years. And believe me you don't see any changes in 3-5 years, if you use it in a normal way and I don't say "Something DEFINITELY WILL HAPPEN to your brush", all I am saying is that THERE A PROBLEM MAY OCCUR WITH YOUR BRUSH IN LONG RUN. BUT these people (like the gentleman in Mantic59's video who actually says "ACQUA FREDDA") have been using it for years and years... So it's a proven way to do it. But can you say the same for the "pseudo break-in system" (fridge thing)?

As someone who gets paid to intentionally try and destroy manufactured items in a controlled manner, I highly doubt a 72 hour soak at 35-45 deg F is going to do any long term damage to a boar brush, especially when a brush, when in regular use, will be constantly soaked in warm / cold / or both water, lathered, rinsed, dried, etc, which is ultimately what's going to kill every brush out there anyways, it's just a matter of time. Most boar brushes are around $20. But you're basically saying, just wait 15 years and see! I told you so! It's gonna be on CNN, boar brushes are breaking at an alarming rate and it's all Mantic59's fault, the guy who helped to teach tons of people without dads how to shave, the BASTARD!

If my $60 Simpsons Badger lasts for 10 years and breaks, I'll give it a small ceremony and replace it with another one. Everything is going to break eventually, just like you and me! Take a deep breath, it's just a boar brush that you might accidentally drop in the toilet or that your crazy ex might cut with scissors to spite you!

I have an Omega 10005 and it's coming along nicely.
It is mainly used for face lathering and I haven't used the refrigerator method, I'm using the slow break-in process of lathering, keeping lather overnight and towel drying, then using for some shaves, and repeat.

But, to answer your question - every boar brush who doesn't end up shedding is good, handle material is different and can be categorised as good (acrylic), better (aluminium and beech wood) and best (Cherry, Olive and Resin handle).

You can choose the dimensions of knot to your liking and then go for the best handle in the relative knot size.

Certainly ones with more backbone. My proraso turned a little too soft for my tastes. I think I like backbone and not too soft tips and I don't really need the larger knot. I will try an omega 10029 soon and maybe a semogue 620/610, or a zenith short scrubby sometime in the future.
Sounds like you and I have similar taste in brushes.

If you don't prefer excessive softness(like me) then stay away from the boars that are dyed to look like badger. Something about that process causes to bristles to become softer than they otherwise would.

I think the Semogue 610 would be a great choice. None of my Omegas can match it's scrubby backbone... although my 13564 comes close, it has a cheap Omega handle.

I really like boar brushes. I cannot recall the manufacturer... it has the honeycomb ridged handle. Excellent brush, and fairly expensive too. But I do love it. Darn, wish I could remember the manufacturer.

I have a couple Zeniths, a couple Omegas and a few Semogue's ... for me, the Omega Pro 48 and the SOC are the top performing boars. I don't know the going rate of the cheap Pro 48 and 49 but they were super cheap for me and I have no other boar that out-performs them.

Great value for money Boar Brushes;

1- Travel Size "Omega 50014"

2- Small Size " Omega 10051" with a huge backbone

3- Mid Size "Omega 11126" with great handle

4- Big Size "Omega 10049" a fantastic allrounder

5- Professional Size "Omega 10098"

Top Bottom