What's new

5 Over-Rated Wet Shaving Products – With Better Alternatives

I came across this post yesterday in Mantic’s blog.

Two of the over-rated products mentioned were MdC Shaving Soaps and the Merkur Futur Razor. Since both of these are favorites of mine, I used them this morning (with an Astra SP blade). Using them today helped me realize how truly great they are.

Another of the over-rated products was the Mühle R41 Razor, which also happens to be a favorite of mine. I’ll be using that (2011 version) tomorrow morning with another variant of MdC.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Yeah, this is such a YMMV kinda "hobby" we all have. I'm sure lots of folks think my favorite blade (GSB) are overrated, but they are the blade I measure all others against.

Most people strongly dislike the smell of Arko. I happen to think it's one of it's biggest selling points!

To me, a Gillette Fatboy is very overrated. It shaves ok, but the Slim and Super Adjustable are better shavers in my opinion and cost about 1/4 of the price.
Another example of ymmv. I never got a good shave with a slim and got decent shaves with my SA but the fatboy always gave great ones

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

To me, a Gillette Fatboy is very overrated. It shaves ok, but the Slim and Super Adjustable are better shavers in my opinion and cost about 1/4 of the price.
Id also argue that when both are in same condition, the prices difference is maybe $5-$15. Most fatboys go around $40-$50 in good condition and slims go for about $25-35. Ive seen super adjustables go for $30-$50. Neither the slim nor the SA go for 1/4 the price.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I respectifully disagree having just purchased all three within the last month for family members.

I never found a Fatboy that sold for under $50 that wasn't beat up. The average was around $60.

However, I bought 64 Slim for $17 shipped and in great shape. I also bought a SA 84mm for $18 shipped also in great shape.

However as you said YMMV

FarmerTan

I respectifully disagree having just purchased all three within the last month for family members.

I never found a Fatboy that sold for under $50 that wasn't beat up. The average was around $60.

However, I bought 64 Slim for $17 shipped and in great shape. I also bought a SA 84mm for $18 shipped also in great shape.

However as you said YMMV
Yep, right time, right place trumps all.

That's how my wife was so fortunate meeting me so long ago! Which I remind her of daily, that lucky girl!

FarmerTan

Shaving is so YMMV. What’s the best soap or razor debates reminds me of asking a musician what’s a better guitar.. Fender or Gibson? Or what’s the better beer? Bud Light or Coors Light, etc. There is no right answer.
Well....for beer, ounce for ounce it was hard to beat "Black Label." It had to be ice cold, and plentiful didn't hurt, but it got the the job done on a Friday night.

FarmerTan

I’m sure we can all agree that the veg is the world’s worst aftershave and any other aftershave on the planet would be an acceptable alternative 🤣😁😂
I've never tried it, but my friend, you may have just typed the safest werds in this here thread. I'm thinkin' that "The Chosen" have been drinkin' the cheap stuff for a few hours before they apply the Veg!

I think that regardless of what hardware or software you would say is overrated there will always be someone liking it. I mean, if something is overrated it is obvious that there are some people liking it and because they like it they rate it high.

Take for example DE89. It is a zamak head and we have had many, many threads about it breaking (and luckily in most cases it gets replaced for free). Also it is not clamping the blade properly. Still it is one of the most recommended razors ever on this forum. Is it overrated? If you ask me personally, I think it is. At the same time all of those recommending it will not agree with me.

I’m sure we can all agree that the veg is the world’s worst aftershave and any other aftershave on the planet would be an acceptable alternative 🤣😁😂
I have never used The Veg, so I am not able to comment on its smell but I do not think it is overrated. After all, I seldom see anything positively written about it. Instead it might be underrated because so many are repeating the bad comments without trying it and certainly the chosen ones will think it is underrated. Thus I think the The Veg is not really belonging in a thread about overrated products.

Last edited:
I came across this post yesterday in Mantic’s blog.

Two of the over-rated products mentioned were MdC Shaving Soaps and the Merkur Futur Razor. Since both of these are favorites of mine, I used them this morning (with an Astra SP blade). Using them today helped me realize how truly great they are.

Another of the over-rated products was the Mühle R41 Razor, which also happens to be a favorite of mine. I’ll be using that (2011 version) tomorrow morning with another variant of MdC.

Another possibility is that Mantic may be overrating his expertise.

For many of us these are YMMV items. What is great for me may be blah for you and vice-versa.

Tons of room for discussion rather than blanket pronouncements! Just my $0.02!! :a21: :a21:

Most Overrated: The Shaver...AKA...me.

Most Underrated: See above.

When I’m overrated, I can take my best soap or cream, perfectly paired razor and blade, a great performing brush, and nice slick lather and turn it into a “meh” shave.

Oh, but when I’m underrated, I can take that exact same combo and perform “my best” shave. I leave the master bathroom with a stupid grin on my face and relish my success all day...

Just hoping that I’ll achieve that same level of joy tomorrow morning...

Top Bottom