What's new

The Summer of Semogue

Well, I'm 0 for 2 now on Amazon delivering the right product. Last time I ordered an 1800 and received a 2015 HD. This time I ordered an SOC and received a 2000. That might explain why the price was nearly $20 lower than expected, although I wouldn't have ordered in the first place.

Any ideas what the difference between the SOC and 2000 are? Seems similar on paper. I'd think about keeping it but the handle is big and uncomfortable compared to the SOC.

Replacement came in and it's also a 2000 with an SOC sticker, so it's going back and will abandon my efforts!

Replacement came in and it's also a 2000 with an SOC sticker, so it's going back and will abandon my efforts!
Can't say I blame you. That's irritating.

I'm still going strong with my Semogues, most especially my 620, which has reached a point of near-perfection.

Can't say I blame you. That's irritating.

I'm still going strong with my Semogues, most especially my 620, which has reached a point of near-perfection.
I'm curious how your 620 and 1470/610 have evolved and compare to each other at this point?

Also, what do you think of the 1305

The 620
I'm curious how your 620 and 1470/610 have evolved and compare to each other at this point?

Also, what do you think of the 1305
The 620 feels much bigger than it is. It has bloomed and is plush while retaining great backbone. It feels very full. The 1470 and 610 bloom, but they don't have quite as big a feel as the 620. They probably do have slightly more backbone, though, and as much or almost as much lather capacity. All of them have soft tips, but the 620 has a bit more tip presence than the 610/1470.

As for the 1305, I still haven't ever used one. I have come around on the 830 a bit, but it still doesn't hold lather as well as I think it should, which has made me reluctant to go for the 1305.

I have a few Semogues ... 1250, 830 and SOC boar. The first two get almost no use from me. I think they're too small. The 1250 specifically does almost nothing for me.

But the SOC boar is one of my favs, top 2 I think.

I usually face lather and want my brush to hold a ton of lather. I want to generate lather once and then brush it on for each pass, maybe adding some water and painting it into the lather.

Maybe I should remember the 1250 and 830 when I'm wanting to bowl lather ... will try to do that.

I have a few Semogues ... 1250, 830 and SOC boar. The first two get almost no use from me. I think they're too small. The 1250 specifically does almost nothing for me.

But the SOC boar is one of my favs, top 2 I think.

I usually face lather and want my brush to hold a ton of lather. I want to generate lather once and then brush it on for each pass, maybe adding some water and painting it into the lather.

Maybe I should remember the 1250 and 830 when I'm wanting to bowl lather ... will try to do that.
I think the 1250 is the same knot as the 820 except for a different handle.

Anyone here got the Galahad C3? I've seen all other models discussed except the C3 (IB and non-dyed).
From reading this thread I think I will purchase the 610 and a C3 premium. So 21x50 vs 22x55 loft.
I just don't like the fake badger look. Even if the 620 was slightly better, I'm good with a 610, looks much cleaner.

I don't mind the fake badger look anymore. Most badgers have a fake badger look these days between dye and chemical treatment and bleaching.

The 620 is wonderful. So is the 610. They are different, but both are outstanding.

Anyone here got the Galahad C3? I've seen all other models discussed except the C3 (IB and non-dyed).
From reading this thread I think I will purchase the 610 and a C3 premium. So 21x50 vs 22x55 loft.
I just don't like the fake badger look. Even if the 620 was slightly better, I'm good with a 610, looks much cleaner.
The C5 Premium Boar is similar in overall size to the 610 & 620 with a denser knot. It would be a natural companion to the C3.

The brush looks better with the logo removed. It is a decal that can be pulled off with no damage to the brush. You are left with a plain glossy jet black resin handle. There is still a smaller Semogue logo etched into the end of the handle.

1614651404093.png

The C5 Premium Boar is similar in overall size to the 610 & 620 with a denser knot. It would be a natural companion to the C3.

The brush looks better with the logo removed. It is a decal that can be pulled off with no damage to the brush. You are left with a plain glossy jet black resin handle. There is still a smaller Semogue logo etched into the end of the handle.

View attachment 1230502
It's a beautiful brush, but I want a brush with some nice splay. The 610 & 620 have a 21x50 knot and this one is a 24x50. So I'd like to try the 21x50 and 22x55 Galahad brush (my first boar brushes).

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
It's a beautiful brush, but I want a brush with some nice splay. The 610 & 620 have a 21x50 knot and this one is a 24x50. So I'd like to try the 21x50 and 22x55 Galahad brush (my first boar brushes).
Is the only difference between the 610 and 620 the handle?

Is the only difference between the 610 and 620 the handle?

I have the 610, 620, 1250 and the C5 boar. They are all good in their own way, but not the same. The 610 and 620 handles are identical in size and shape. The bristles are graded differently and constructed somewhat differently. To complicate things, the grading system has changed from the previous Excelsior versions to the current Heriditas versions.

The C5 has the Premium bristle, which is among the softest from Semogue, similar to that used for the Owner's Club brushes. This does take quite a few lathers to break in. Here is a video showing the brush in action, with a DR Harris Almond shave stick. You can see the brush splays quite easily.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have the 620 from about 3-4 years ago. Not sure how that fits in with the classification. I think I was thinking of the different color handle. Other than the short handle it’s really amazing. That brush seemed to come all broken in.

The 610 knot opens up less than the 620, with the knot retaining more stiffness over time, at least so far for me. The 620 is scrubbier initially and its tips never soften to the degree of the 610, but the knot itself opens up, allowing the stiffer individual bristles to splay more. Both have backbone but get it differently. In the case of the 620, the backbone is from individual bristle stiffness, and the result is scrubby-plush. The 610 gets backbone from the density and stiffness of the knot, while the tips become very soft. The result is wall-of-soft-scrubby. I like both, but the 620 is, IMO, just about perfect.

I have the 620 from about 3-4 years ago. Not sure how that fits in with the classification. I think I was thinking of the different color handle. Other than the short handle it’s really amazing. That brush seemed to come all broken in.
My 620 is from around 1.5 years ago, so probably similar to yours. It's an outstanding brush, the only real complaint I have is the bristles are dyed with the fake stripe. What's interesting is the bristles fan out into a cone shape so the knot seems larger than 22mm. It looks almost the same size as the C5 with the 24mm x 50mm knot. The C5 is just more dense and plush. Honestly, I like both of them. The C5 feels almost like a plusher version of the 610. It took a while to break in, but it is becoming a favorite now.

Top Bottom