Status
Not open for further replies.
proxy.php

Jan 24, 2021

Brush: Dogwood Handcrafts 28mm B9A+

Razor: Rex Supply Co. Ambassador

Blade: Gillette Winner (1)

Lather: Declaration Grooming: Massacre of the Innocents

First time trying Gillette Winners after being inspired by a friend who showed me the unforgettable commercial for these (look it up, you won't regret it!) Nice blade. Quite similar in character to my preferred Nacets, albeit maybe a little smoother and less sharp. I'll use these for a few days to see how things go.

First time trying Gillette Winners after being inspired by a friend who showed me the unforgettable commercial for these (look it up, you won't regret it!) Nice blade. Quite similar in character to my preferred Nacets, albeit maybe a little smoother and less sharp. I'll use these for a few days to see how things go.

I have this sneaking suspicion that Gillette is really just a marketing department that makes one blade and puts it in 100 different packages.... 🤔

[Imagen: img_878434f1-8ec3-46fe-98b5-9f9e93a00a8c.jpg]

Sencillamente espectacular, estas viejas navajas afeitan como dioses.

SOTD 24/01/2021

Rating: 5 / 5

Razor: NAVAJA Filarmónica Sub Cero 14 NOS cachas azules

Brush: SIMPSONS “Chubby 2"Super Badger”

Pre-Shave: Ducha caliente

Lather: MONDIAL Mandorla

Aftershave: FLOID Blue

Additional Care:

MYRSOL emulsión

View attachment 1212728
Pre:-
Razor: pre war Gold Tech
Brush: G3 Pure
Blade: Minora Platinum 1st use
Soap: Colonel Conk Bay Rum
Result: DFS+ no nicks/weepers/irritations

Hmm I feel a bit let down. I anticipated a WOW as when I used the Polsilver but the first shave felt just nice and not exceptional. To much bias and expectations on my side I guess. Let’s see how the next shaves are going. It’s smooth and sharp but so are many other PPI blades.
So, is there a difference between the Platinum and the new Minora Stainless?

Great idea to actually put up a YT video! 😀

My impression was that you're putting WAY TOO MUCH pressure on your WTG pass and throughout the entire shave. It feels painful to watch. Honestly. I say this with very best intentions. I'd go slower and gentler, perhaps try to hold the razor with just 2 fingers. The idea is gradual stubble reduction.

As for post-shave treat, I think more often than not "LESS is MORE" holds true. Applying 3 distinct products all at once each and every day will do you no good in the long run. It's a chemical overkill. Good quality A/S will have ALL you need in a single product - protection/disinfection, moisturizing properties, soothing/calming effect and GREAT scent.

On a side note: big thumbs-up for Eau Sauvage, one of the all-time classics, love it! 👍👍

Thanks for the tips. Since performing this post shave routine, my skin is amazing!

1) All natural Witch Hazel Tea Tree with a cotton pad. This lifts dirt and debris from the skin post shave and provides pore tightening and some natural antiseptic qualities. Prevents breakouts etc. I avoid using Alum and Styptics unless I cut myself or abraded my skin badly by too much aggressiveness.
2) Hyaluronic Acid Serum - This is naturally produced by the body and is an additive found in many products, as it is compatible with the body people don't react to this as a moisturiser unlike most moisturers, this has been the case for me. I could simply mix this into a balm at this point but it's easier to apply it then put the balm on top... there's much more to this than I can explain in a post though.
3) Balm - the balm is good because it allows the HA to draw moisture from it rather than drawing from the dermis.

There are balms with all 3 ingredients in them however I've found by simply separating them out I am able to achieve the best skin of my life. Happy to try more things and I've tried lots but this is the best skin of my life.

I spoke to a beauty expert yesterday and she looked at my skin and asked me what I do... she was impressed and went on to tell me about the men she helps and that the only difference is that the balms she recommends already contain the HA. She also spoke about vitamin E for some men.

As for the pressure WTG, I do 3 passes without nicks or cuts or irritation. I have coarse stubble, the pressure I use probably instinctively varies especially if the razor is mild. The reason why is that with coarse stubble if the blade doesn't contact the hair sufficiently, it tugs like crazy. I've found the distance between the base of the hair exiting the skin and how far or close the blade is cutting is extremely important for me to prevent pain. Cutting closer to the base prevents tugging, more below.

With a lot of aggressive razors I get blade chatter and am using light pressure, if I apply lots of pressure I likely get bitten or abrade the skin causing light blood spattering to rise to the surface across a patch of skin that was removed, you can see this on a lot of other youtuber videos by the way. This is the reason why I was looking at the yates razor so closely.

A good example of tugging is with the feather popular razor... this thing is pretty painful and only cut the stubble around my cheeks.

I think my stubble is coarser than that geofatboy vendor on youtube, I've noticed he does the same thing as me interestingly and he has stubble is finer than mine. I'll give the AC/SE a try and let you know how I go.

Oh one final thing, the guys who's video you posted has a goatie didn't shave the toughest densest hair on his face and has finer stubble than I do. These reviews aren't helpful at all to me, like the guy who has a beard and shaved only the top of cheeks and base of neck and reviews a razor, great for those type of guys but that's not me as I do full face shaving with coarser stubble.
YMMV covers a lot of ground.

Last edited:
Sunday shave

2366B983-918A-4A93-B669-354856BA4D7C.jpeg

Prep: Noxzema
Soap: PAA Ciderhouse 5
Brush: Omega 10290
Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, #1
Post: Alum -> hyaluronic acid-> Clubman Reserve Brandy Spice aftershave

Two-passes, minimal feedback from the alum and a DFS with a little buffing. The blade worked okay, but just okay. My first use of it, so I'll see how it develops. I also want to give it a try on a day's growth (I didn't get a chance to shave last night).

1/23/21
Martin de Candre
L'Occitane by Plisson
6/8 Art of Shaving by Thiers-Issard
Tony Miller 3" Fast Bridle Strop
Osma Alum Block
Nivea Sensitive Cool Balm
Davidoff Cool Water
SOTD1-23-21.jpg

1/24/21
Haslinger Shafmilch
H.L. Thater 4376/3 Silver Tip
5/8 C.V. Heljestrand Mark 3
Tony Miller 3" Steerhide Strop
Osma Alum Block
Clubman Lilac Vegetal
Nivea Sensitive Cool Balm
Penhaligon's English Fern
SOTD1-24-21.jpg

How do you get along with the Eagle 3 in Manchurian?
It was my first Simpson and I like it a lot. I find it's a wee bit scritchier on my face than Silvertip emperor and dukes I added later; I like it enough, though, that I plan to keep it (barring further economic collapse).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom