What's new

Hologram Rifle Sights

Anyone out there among the huddled masses have some first-hand experience and recommendations for a hologram/reflex sight to go on a Colt M4?
I really don't want to spend a boatload for a good sight (read EOTech, Aimpoint, etc.), but am not interested in a gun show $50.00 special either.
I have the wherewithal to get a pretty good discount on Vortex gear and have had good luck with their optics in the past, but that's about it.
Any advice??

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I'll add the Sig Romeo stuff to the list. Also, my Vortex Sparc AR has treated me well!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Anyone out there among the huddled masses have some first-hand experience and recommendations for a hologram/reflex sight to go on a Colt M4?
I really don't want to spend a boatload for a good sight (read EOTech, Aimpoint, etc.), but am not interested in a gun show $50.00 special either.
I have the wherewithal to get a pretty good discount on Vortex gear and have had good luck with their optics in the past, but that's about it.
Any advice??

I put a Sig Sauer Romeo5 on the wife’s M4. $150.

CCE5D3F3-A4E4-45F9-AEC2-2D9C86C41F90.jpeg

BB6CF64D-7FBC-42B9-91B1-7C602EA4CAF3.jpeg

@OkieStubble @nortac
The SIG and Burris do come highly recommended. They just seem so....
small.
I‘m coming off a Vortex Strikefire II. Good scope in its own right. Also use a Redfield Battlezone. THAT is/was a nice scope (full size).
I keep looking at the Vortex Razor. Love the warranty. Ain’t no Aimpoint. But...well who knows🤷‍♂️

OkieStubble

@OkieStubble @nortac
The SIG and Burris do come highly recommended. They just seem so....
small.

Small... And light. Nothing wrong with that. :) It's a good dot for shootin', but if the rifle's intentions are ever intended for the advent of more serious business? You should spend more serious money, to getting something a bit more... Serious? ;)

I‘m coming off a Vortex Strikefire II. Good scope in its own right. Also use a Redfield Battlezone. THAT is/was a nice scope (full size).
I keep looking at the Vortex Razor. Love the warranty. Ain’t no Aimpoint. But...well who knows🤷‍♂️

The Razor would definitely qualify as more... Serious. :)

OkieStubble

I can personally vouch for the SIG Romeo 5 and the Burris FastFire III.

This is why I got it. You can tell in the pics by the Romeo, the thin diameter of the Streamlight and the Magpul slimline furniture, I was trying to keep the wife's 6.95 pound Colt, as close to 6.95 pounds as I could. :)

So, 5.5 oz Romeo with Riser + 4.4 oz Streamlight Protac 2L + 2.2 oz Magpul Scout Mount = 7 lbs 2 1/2 oz rifle for the little lady. :)

Minus a mag full of ammo. :)

Last edited:
Long winded and slightly preachy.

Premise 1- I am choosing not to buy goods made in China when I can avoid it even if it means spending more money.
I fully understand that goods made in China can be made a superlative QC levels i.e. Apple and Arcteryx outdoor gear etc.

Is country of origin important to you? The vast majority of "red dots" in this space are made in the People's Republic of China.

Is transparency by the company re the same important to you? Many companies in this space wrap themselves in a very pro USA/MIL/LEO/GOVT vibe and do not list country of origin anywhere on their website.

I would note Vortex has live chat and was candid in stating that ALL of their red dots except the AMG UH-1, Razor and Venom are made in the PRC. The ones I listed are made in the USA, Japan and the Philippines respectively.

IMHO these are challenges in this space. An Aimpoint Pro is 400+ even with good guy pricing.
Serviceable stuff can be had for half that all day long so long as you are not betting your life on it.

If it is a hobby rifle- Vortex, Burris, Bushnell etc are all solid companies who are manufacturing primarily overseas and can hit a sub 250 price point all day long.

Most respectfully to all here- If I am betting my life on it, I am highly disinclined to buy anything other than an Aimpoint Pro.
A great warranty is of little comfort when the scope will not come on/stay on/ hold zero etc come show time.

I am not an EO-Tech fan because as my uncorrected eyes has gotten more astigmatic, their 65 MOA dot reticle is quite busy for me. I used a Rev E version for years until their "we sold to the govt/mil/leo community for years knowing our scopes could shift zero when subjected to extreme temperature/temperature shifts, knew it and did it anyway" fiasco which had them buying their scopes back at full retail. I took that check and bought the Aimpoint Pro with its single 2 moa dot and never looked back.

In my local PD, Vortex and Aimpoint are the two brands of scopes that many officers buy as their second one when their first one (almost always sub 150.00) failed to come on/stay on/hold zero at the qual and/or transition class.

Notably, Vortex has an industry leading warranty program which is essentially an unconditional full repair/replacement warranty.

@OkieStubble
“Serious”....can’t agree more. Bought the Vortex Razor (6 MOA).
Price was exceptional. Japanese manufacturing is fine with me. If it doesn’t get the job done, there is always eBay😉

OkieStubble

This is why I got it. You can tell in the pics by the Romeo, the thin diameter of the Streamlight and the Magpul slimline furniture, I was trying to keep the wife's 6.95 pound Colt, as close to 6.95 pounds as I could. :)

So, 5.5 oz Romeo with Riser + 4.4 oz Streamlight Protac 2L + 2.2 oz Magpul Scout Mount = 7 lbs 2 1/2 oz rifle for the little lady. :)

Minus a mag full of ammo. :)

I gotta correct my math on this. It is now a 7 lb 13 oz rifle. If I'm getting too old for math, how am I ever gonna stay tactical?
:)

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 My problem with these things is the coatings. I want 100% light transmission. I've seen holos take away vision in the dark. Hence, I seem to go for low-power scopes in this scenario.

Is there one without light-robbing coatings? 🧐 I'm an astronomer. I must see in the dark!

AA

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I gotta correct my math on this. It is now a 7 lb 13 oz rifle. If I'm getting too old for math, how am I ever gonna stay tactical?
:)
Just gotta transition from high speed to low speed, Rob. :lol: Doing it myself these days...

OkieStubble

🤔 My problem with these things is the coatings. I want 100% light transmission. I've seen holos take away vision in the dark. Hence, I seem to go for low-power scopes in this scenario.

Is there one without light-robbing coatings? 🧐 I'm an astronomer. I must see in the dark!

I have seen some bluer tints on certain reflex sights like the 1st Gen Trijicon MRO's that make it tough, but most smaller dots glass isn't designed to gather light like most scopes do. Most 1x dots, do have protective coating or anti-light reflection coatings on their front glass, but they don't have the 50mm objectives and large tubes which help in light gathering to make any difference at night? Just my opinion. Even without coatings, the smaller objectives on smaller and lighter dots, even without coatings makes it harder to see targets at night.

Top Bottom