What's new

Favorite handle shape (suggestions w/pictures please)...

Very different sides. Both good. Way too small of course.

It's very interesting to me how the size of the knot matters to all of us but there's no general agreement about what size is best.

Some guys, like Cal @Cal think of 23 mm as being the very upper limit of the size range (I hope I'm not wrong about what Cal thinks and apologize if I am). They prefer 18 mm or thereabouts.

Others, like you, might see 23 mm as the bee's knees.

I like 26 mm and up, and think of 24 mm as medium sized and borderline too small, but will admit to occasionally liking to use my Omega Mighty Midget. I'll also admit I don't like all large brushes so some of it depends on the aspects of the brush other than knot size.

A few gentlemen have mentioned their affinity for very large brushes. To them, 28 mm might be the beginning of medium size and 26 mm might fall into the too small range.

I have no idea what any of that means other than to say use what you like, and sell what you don't.

I've just discovered one of my best friends, a local gentleman, has gotten into wet shaving giving me the perfect PIF opportunity. He's my second local PIF opportunity, but the first into the hobby (and into the DE razor).

I like the green (with brown highlights) side better, but both are great. Thanks for showing it off.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I couldn't agree more Jim. I am firmly in the 24/48 camp. Anything larger than 26 and I don't enjoy at all, but I could live with a 26/52. This Jade Tulip knot is possibly 22.5/45, which is on the very edge of being too small. If it was a 22/44, too small, at least in my mind. Amazing what a mm means to the size of a knot. I know watch aficionados also debate about the difference of a mm on a watch case, so it's not exclusive to shaving brushes.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
eagles.jpeg
G3 1.jpeg

Those Eagle / Simpsons 3 handles that @Owen Bawn just posted are near my ideal for a large knot. I like a narrow waist. Below is an eagleish profile I turned for a friend with a 28mm knot.

Below that are an olivewood handle by @GAW9576 and a black walnut turned by me that are set with smaller diameter knots, but which could be scaled up. The black walnut is meant to be reminiscent of classic wooden chisel and screwdriver handles.
CBAF9B62-860B-4D49-A841-E20804E0780F.jpeg

867986D2-A0B1-4C77-A53C-D33F614BE5A0.jpeg

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Those Eagle / Simpsons 3 handles that @Owen Bawn just posted are near my ideal for a large knot. I like a narrow waist. Below is an eagleish profile I turned for a friend with a 28mm knot.

Below that are an olivewood handle by @GAW9576 and a black walnut turned by me that are set with smaller diameter knots, but which could be scaled up. The black walnut is meant to be reminiscent of classic wooden chisel and screwdriver handles.
View attachment 1227140
View attachment 1227139
Those are handsome- thanks for sharing them. I like the cut of the top brush but the wood in the bottom two is exquisite.

Those are handsome- thanks for sharing them. I like the cut of the top brush but the wood in the bottom two is exquisite.

Thanks!

The top brush handle in pearwood is still raw. In that photo it was still due for more sanding, has no finish yet, and the knot is loose. But if I liked large knots, that shape would be first choice. I like that the eagle profile does not have to get much longer as it gets wider.

I hated the boar knot, and I generally love boars,, but the handle? Oh, my, I love the handle. I've kept it, just to hold onto the handle, and may one day replace the knot.
Same experience. Worst knot I own but can't seem to get rid of it because of the handle ... wonder what size the knot is in there ...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks. Maybe I should just try to extract the knot and see how things look ...

Just looking at the brush and how the handle is shaped and made it looks like it would be easy enough to enlarge the hole for a nominally 26 mm knot, but that's not me saying I've tried it.

I've taken exactly one knot out of a handle - which was a bigger pain than I expected - and replaced it.

I'll be interested to see what you find out as you dive into it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Just looking at the brush and how the handle is shaped and made it looks like it would be easy enough to enlarge the hole for a nominally 26 mm knot, but that's not me saying I've tried it.

I've taken exactly one knot out of a handle - which was a bigger pain than I expected - and replaced it.

I'll be interested to see what you find out as you dive into it.
I was able to get the knot out. But as I tried to get more of the glue out I ruined the handle, a big chunk of the rim came right off. Surprisingly brittle.

Oh well.

Well, after nearly 5 months, I have tweaked my lineup, but something just doesn't feel right. The first picture from my initial post and the 2nd from today. You can see 3 familiar brushes and 3 new brushes. I really like my new Rudy Vey Dark Knight Keyhole and Wolf Whiskers "Hedley" and I couldn't pass up the Duke 3 Butterscotch Best when I saw it on BST. Both the RV and WW have the Shavemac D01-2 band, the RV at 22/46 and WW at 24/50, they really do feel like completely different knots.

I am not sure I need 3 Simpson handles. The Classic 2 is the perfect travel brush in the pill bottle. I love both the Duke's, Ruby Manchurian and Butterscotch Best, but not sure I need both. What to do, what to do? May be time for a BST post?

IMG_7210.jpeg
IMG_7694.jpeg

linty1

My wallet cries.
I admit I read the first post, then skipped ahead to here, but it looks like you picked the keyhole shape? Thats a great shape and colour, Jade would have been nice too. I personally do like the longer handles just to keep lather off my fingers. Enjoy

I admit I read the first post, then skipped ahead to here, but it looks like you picked the keyhole shape? Thats a great shape and colour, Jade would have been nice too. I personally do like the longer handles just to keep lather off my fingers. Enjoy
Yes, I picked up the RV Keyhole after buying a Tulip in Jade (and then selling said Tulip). I prefer the Keyhole over the Tulip. There is something about the Keyhole that just feels great. The first brush Rudy made for me was in the Dark Knight, but it was not the right knot for me, so I sold it too. I really love this Dark Knight Keyhole and the Shavemac D01-2 band is my favorite. All around a terrific RV brush. I just received the Wolf Whiskers, but so far it is a winner too.

Top Bottom