What's new

*Fatip Slant*

SOTD.
Razor: FOCS
Blade: PolSilver (3)
Brush: Semogue 830
Bowl: Timeless
Soap & A/S: CC Nor’easter
Great shave today. Wanted to try the FOCS again as I haven’t used it since I received my Karve for Christmas!
9C419837-59B6-4A45-8993-8F5861BB3625.jpeg

I seem to be in a very small minority here. I found the FOCS quite uncomfortable and it did not give me as good a shave as many other razors I have. My GC .84 SB is a very good razor for me, comfortable, gives me excellent shaves without having to concentrate very hard on technique early in the morning.

But then again, the only way to know for you is to try it. What works for me may or may not work for you.
All data points are useful. I do find the GC-.84P comfortable, although it took some time for me to adjust from the Rockwell. I really enjoy the weight, the look, and the shaves. Still, I guess I'm eternally curious.

A Fatip of some sort is undoubtedly in my near future.

All data points are useful. I do find the GC-.84P comfortable, although it took some time for me to adjust from the Rockwell. I really enjoy the weight, the look, and the shaves. Still, I guess I'm eternally curious.

A Fatip of some sort is undoubtedly in my near future.
A Fatip is great to have around. The FOCS Piccolo is the one I use most days. It's a fairly low-risk proposition. You can sell it on the BST if you don't think it's for you.

Question for you fine gentlemen. Do you find one side shaves differently than the other on your FOCS? When shaving with mine, one side seems to have more blade feel than the other side. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Question for you fine gentlemen. Do you find one side shaves differently than the other on your FOCS? When shaving with mine, one side seems to have more blade feel than the other side. Thank you in advance for any advice!
Sometimes the blade reveal looks uneven between sides but I can’t feel a difference in the shave.

Yup. One side has more blade feel for me and I can visibly see a difference. But as I go through my shave, it doesn't make a big difference in the shave because I rotate through both sides.

Sometimes the blade reveal looks uneven between sides but I can’t feel a difference in the shave.
Yup. One side has more blade feel for me and I can visibly see a difference. But as I go through my shave, it doesn't make a big difference in the shave because I rotate through both sides.
Not mine (and I have two).
Interesting. Thank you gents for your feedback here. The side with less blade feel is incredible to shave with (insert all of the praises for the FOCS here, for that side). The side with more blade feel still shaves fine, but it’s not blow your mind 🤯🤯amazing. My anecdotal evidence, YMMV and such. Not sure yet if this particular FOCS will remain with me forever or not. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Thank you again gents. Hope y’all have a great evening!

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

Mine loads even and shaves the same on both sides. :cool:

Mine shaves the same on both sides, but with my non-slant Fatip I need to manually adjust the blade to ensure equal exposure in both sides. Perhaps you need to do that with your FOCS.

I have one that is similar, defective! One of the posts is crooked and further away. The fit of the blade+ base plate + top cap is too tight....blade position is not optimal nor can it be adjusted. Tony was either hungover , stoned or sick when he soldered that post...... Anyway, if I put it the other way, the position is still NOT ideal but the shave is OKish..... I still will not use it .....I am lucky to have 2 that are OK.... As far as yours go: if you like one of the sides....you are set..... or try rotating the cap 180 and see how it fits.....

Maggards now has the gold Fatip slant piccolo version.....few of them; for those interested.

The Razor Company also has them.....has even more slant models...... both sellers in the US.

Mine loads even and shaves the same on both sides. :cool:
Mine shaves the same on both sides, but with my non-slant Fatip I need to manually adjust the blade to ensure equal exposure in both sides. Perhaps you need to do that with your FOCS.
I have one that is similar, defective! One of the posts is crooked and further away. The fit of the blade+ base plate + top cap is too tight....blade position is not optimal nor can it be adjusted. Tony was either hungover , stoned or sick when he soldered that post...... Anyway, if I put it the other way, the position is still NOT ideal but the shave is OKish..... I still will not use it .....I am lucky to have 2 that are OK.... As far as yours go: if you like one of the sides....you are set..... or try rotating the cap 180 and see how it fits.....
Thank you kindly for the feedback. @xiletero sorry to hear you got a huge dud! Glad to hear you have some great contenders as backup! The uniqueness of each of these razors must be part of the Italian charm.?! 🤷‍♂️

Great shave with the trusty FOCS today!:
Razor: Fatip LoStorto Originale
Blade: Bolzano - Superinox
Brush: Omega 11137 boar
Soap: Officina Artigiana - Stay Traditional
Aftershave: Ethos - Melange d'Argumes

Anyone have issues separating the base plate and cap on their FOCS? I just received one today and it’s quite difficult to pry them apart. I think the base plate is getting caught up on the threads on the cap “post”. I’m hoping it will wear itself in over time, cause it’s a bit sketchy when a blade is involved. Otherwise I’m quite pleased with it.

proxy.php

The arrived yesterday and I shaved with the piccolo testina Originale as soon as I opened it. Excellent razor. Excellent shave with Cella.

My 37c is collecting dust due to my now 4 Fatip slants. My 39c and Parker SSL will be going away. They just suck compared to the Fatips, not even close. I will keep the 37c and use it occasionally as it was my first slant but it’s fatip slants all the way for me.

I’ll try the piccolo testina gentile tomorrow with 2 days growth for equal comparison to the Originale.

BOSC;AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;WISE;CoA;SASA;FOCS Fiend

Top Bottom