What's new

Anyone excited about Hockey? NHL 2021

Well my Leafs have been in first place since game one this year.

Of course they are in the terrible North division. They will very likely end up first overall at the end of the year. God help the Leafs or the Canadian team that makes it out of the division to play the US teams in the semis.... Florida, Boston, Tampa, St Louis, Carolina, LV, Washington...

Such a weird year!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, the Habs came out of the gate firing on all cylinders, but then things fell apart and now ... they have a new head coach! I guess time will tell if this is an improvement or just a change.

@Owen Bawn , I’m confused by this score. I didn’t watch the match so there must be an error in the internets.

proxy.php

Nylander scored in the dying seconds to tie the last Calgary game (preventing the Leafs from being shut out in consecutive games by the same team for the first time in 90 years) and scored the winner in OT. 2 points for the Leafs by himself.

Nylander has been roasted by the Toronto media so bad that it is embarrassing. One journalist in particular is close to losing his job over his unrelentless criticism. Of course, he did sit out most of a year wanting more money, got it and then played like crap.

Any player that WANTS to play in Toronto or Montreal is nuts. Our media is awful.

Any player that WANTS to play in Toronto or Montreal is nuts. Our media is awful.

I wonder if it's different for guys that didn't grow up in those areas. There's no additional pressure of being a "hometown hero".

As a hockey fan, it would be nice to see the Leafs organization get it together and consistently challenge for the Cup (or at least regularly make the playoffs).

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
This morning I was reading an article about the great Maurice 'Rocket' Richard and found a funny story. Each time the Canadiens played Chicago, The Rocket's little brother Henri (the 'Pocket Rocket') would taunt the Black Hawk's Dennis Hull saying "My brother's better than your brother... my brother's better than your brother..."

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I live in what is primarily is a 3-sport town: Cardinals baseball, Blues hockey and the coming soon St Louis City FC soccer. Chess is big here too, but no ball, therefore no sport.

I’m old enough to remember the Blue’s inaugural season, and lots of personal memories of them playing in the Old Barn (The Arena). Weird to not have the Blues in the same division this year as the evil Blackhawks, but that’s hopefully just a one-year scheduling blip.

Owen Bawn

I live in what is primarily is a 3-sport town: Cardinals baseball, Blues hockey and the coming soon St Louis City FC soccer. Chess is big here too, but no ball, therefore no sport.

I’m old enough to remember the Blue’s inaugural season, and lots of personal memories of them playing in the Old Barn (The Arena). Weird to not have the Blues in the same division this year as the evil Blackhawks, but that’s hopefully just a one-year scheduling blip.
Red Berenson, Gerry Melnick, Terry Crisp, and Bill McCreary, with Glenn Hall between the pipes.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Red Berenson, Gerry Melnick, Terry Crisp, and Bill McCreary, with Glenn Hall between the pipes.
You, kind sir, just made my day! Spent 20 minutes checking out these early Bluenote goalies on Wikipedia. Completely forgot Glenn Hall was a Vezina Trophy recipient! Great players all. I can just hear Dan Kelly announcing their names on KMOX radio broadcasts.

Owen Bawn

Red Berenson was one of the first college hockey players to play in the NHL. Born in Saskatchewan, he attended the U of Michigan. After NHL expansion he was one of the few stars in the new western division. Most Americans have forgotten his playing career, and remember him as the longtime coach at Michigan.

I grew up in Boston, so this is my fave memory of the great Glenn Hall:

Bobby_Orr_in_mid-air_(1970).jpg

Red Berenson was one of the first college hockey players to play in the NHL. Born in Saskatchewan, he attended the U of Michigan. After NHL expansion he was one of the few stars in the new western division. Most Americans have forgotten his playing career, and remember him as the longtime coach at Michigan.

I grew up in Boston, so this is my fave memory of the great Glenn Hall:

View attachment 1236416
LOL.

That Robby Orr guy was pretty good I heard. If he only could put up the points like the great Harold Snepsts, he might have been a real two way defenceman.

Owen Bawn

LOL.

That Robby Orr guy was pretty good I heard. If he only could put up the points like the great Harold Snepsts, he might have been a real two way defenceman.
Ha! But seriously, I always liked Harold-- he was one of those goons who learned how to play hockey.

Top Bottom