What's new

Frog Morton Cellar

So been out of the pipe and cigar scene for a few years now having switched to vaping. In fact I still have some cigars that have been in my humidor for over 8 years now.
Just found out McClelland shut down, yup I am way behind. Checked my pipe tobacco mason jars and I still have one filled with roughly 150g of Frog Morton Cellar which is now aged over 9 years.
This was one of my favourite tobacco's and I am curious if any replacement blend is out there or will I need to ration what I have?

Someone from the pipe smoking community mailed me a couple ounces of frog Morton. What makes it so distinct from other English blends?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Someone from the pipe smoking community mailed me a couple ounces of frog Morton. What makes it so distinct from other English blends?

For myself it is that little bit of McClelland red Va’s in there that makes it work. McClelland Va’s have a very distinct flavor and tin note that is present in the Frog Morton series. It is a flavor, that, if you can identify and like, makes Frog Morton and most other McClelland blends inimitable.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
So been out of the pipe and cigar scene for a few years now having switched to vaping. In fact I still have some cigars that have been in my humidor for over 8 years now.
Just found out McClelland shut down, yup I am way behind. Checked my pipe tobacco mason jars and I still have one filled with roughly 150g of Frog Morton Cellar which is now aged over 9 years.
This was one of my favourite tobacco's and I am curious if any replacement blend is out there or will I need to ration what I have?

I stumbled on this thread late. I feel your pain. Like the others, I can’t give you a direct match for FMC. Enjoy what you have. But if you are fond of the English crossover genre, two that might help you forget the pain are Boswells Northwoods and the Ouellette reboot of Bengal Slices. Both are noteworthy and worth a spin.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
In other Frog Morton news, tins of Across the Pond were going for $65 and $125 on Pipestud recently. :eek6:

It’s good, but not that good. I think it’s the Syrian Latakia in it that is driving up the cost.

It’s good, but not that good. I think it’s the Syrian Latakia in it that is driving up the cost.

It's got to be. The tins were from 2017. I like Syrian Latakia, but not that much. Makes me scared to crack a tin open. It could be a good retirement investment.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
It's got to be. The tins were from 2017. I like Syrian Latakia, but not that much. Makes me scared to crack a tin open. It could be a good retirement investment.

Yup if you can’t smoke em you can sell em. Win-win from a cellaring point of view. They also make great donations to charity events like the Sue Auction.

Yup if you can’t smoke em you can sell em. Win-win from a cellaring point of view. They also make great donations to charity events like the Sue Auction.

I actually had that in mind. I've got three 100 gram tins of Across the Pond. I can certainly spare one, and some other goodies, when the time comes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I actually had that in mind. I've got three 100 gram tins of Across the Pond. I can certainly spare one, and some other goodies, when the time comes.

I didn’t donate this year as my stock of McClellands dropped down to panic levels lol. I have a few of C&D Small Batch blends that will go to this years auction.

Ok, I started smoking about a year after McClellan went out of business. I hear about it spoken in hushed and reverend tones. I missed out, like coming off age and missing the Beatles by a hair. Was it really that good?

Ok, I started smoking about a year after McClellan went out of business. I hear about it spoken in hushed and reverend tones. I missed out, like coming off age and missing the Beatles by a hair. Was it really that good?

IMO McClelland produced a lot of "meh" tobacco, and also some truly awful blends; but when they hit, they hit big. They had access to some phenomenal tobacco, including the last Syrian Latakia ever produced. They were always there until they weren't, and I didn't appreciate them until they were gone.

I was fortunate enough to buy several tins of their Syrian Lat blends before their supply was gone. Aside from that, I don't have much McClelland in the cellar.

They had some great Virgina blends. Backwoods and Dark Star are some of my favorites. St james woods is tasty. Their Christmas Cheers we're always good and their 40th anniversary is right there with it. I've got a decent stock of some. Not enough of others. I don't want to smoke them but I know I need to. It is why I bought them.

I enjoyed Bombay Court. Lots of orientals and a little latakia. Blue Mountain? Was a balkan that was well loved. 3 Oaks was well loved by a lot, both the syrian and cyprian versions.

Blakeney's Best line was some terrific stuff. Their Ashton blends are phenomenal. I love Black parrot.

I don't know much about their Aro's other than holiday spirit. It is tasty. I need to smoke it. It has to losing its casing...

McClelland had nice bulks too. Some for mixing but nice to smoke by themselves.

I'm inspired to think about smoking some backwoods or 40th tomorrow. I would need to lay it out now so it is dry enough to smoke 🤣

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If you like the McClelland “tang” in their Virginia’s nothing comes close. Some people weren’t especially fond of it, and for them McClelland was just another good tobacco blender.

Hey Till...good to see you! I haven't taken stock of my cellar in some time, but your post made me run to tobaccocellar to check. Sadly, I have but a single 50g tin of On the Town, and a 100g tin of Cellar. Dang.

Hey Till...good to see you! I haven't taken stock of my cellar in some time, but your post made me run to tobaccocellar to check. Sadly, I have but a single 50g tin of On the Town, and a 100g tin of Cellar. Dang.
Good to see you both, Price and Till! I have half a tin of FMC left and that makes me sad.

Top Bottom