What's new

Pearl Flexi v2 brass cnc milled adjustable razor is out!

I know, I was talking about some guy who commented in one of Kensurfs videos a day (I think) before you shaved with your razor and he said that two of his friends got the new version and both of them have misalignment issues. I've seen a few videos and for me it looks like the reflection of the light is playing tricks or something like that. I've seen pictures on this forum about 3 piece razors like Razorock Game Changer with alignment issues and even asked the person who posted it and he said that it's just a reflection from the light and it seems that way but it isn't.

Most people agree that it's a great razor and even if there's something wrong with mine, I can always tell them to send me a new one or new parts to fix it. They seem to be more helpful than Razor Emporium from what i've heard and if a person has an issue with their razor, he has to send it to them and since i'm from Europe and I have to pay for the shipping to get there and back to me I find it unprofessional and if they somehow not fix that issue, well I have to throw it in the garbage then.

Here's a recent photo that I found on the forum (I think from BST) about a Rex from the last versions, which shoudn't have any issues at all. That looks much worse imho.

View attachment 1224837
It's being held at an angle so it may look wonky. I have the rex ambassador and feeler gauges. No alignment issues at all

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Honestly, I dont think it looks (subjective I know) that good. People are still having issues with the V2. And for $100 I would want it right straight from the box.

I've put a blade in mine to test it and play with it for a while and it looks perfect. I'm not saying that there aren't people who have issues or that they are lying, but I think the reason for this backlash is mostly because the razor is a copy of the Rex Ambassador. There are still people having problems with their Rex razors, but such things always got swept under the carpet and people rarely talk about when premium western brands do something wrong, it's always the Russians or someone else like they used to say.

I know a few people on a facebook shaving group that own the Rex and hated the Flexi even since it came and before even people said that there are issues and especially after Kevy uploaded his video they immediately shared it and were like - ''I knew it, this razor is trash even though they promised that the issues are going to be removed''.

I know from experience that when people pay lots of money for something they would rarely have the balls to admit if they don't like it and will obviously tell others that a cheaper version isn't worth it and so on. I mean, if I pay $250 + for a razor and it has issues and even if doesn't and I still don't like how it shaves would be hard admitting it.

In the end it comes down to what people think about it. I haven't shaved yet, but so far I don't see any issues and i'm satisfied beyond my initial expectations and unless the razor doesn't shave as good as I want it to or there's some hidden defects or whatever, nothing is going to change that.

I've put a blade in mine to test it and play with it for a while and it looks perfect. I'm not saying that there aren't people who have issues or that they are lying, but I think the reason for this backlash is mostly because the razor is a copy of the Rex Ambassador. There are still people having problems with their Rex razors, but such things always got swept under the carpet and people rarely talk about when premium western brands do something wrong, it's always the Russians or someone else like they used to say.

I know a few people on a facebook shaving group that own the Rex and hated the Flexi even since it came and before even people said that there are issues and especially after Kevy uploaded his video they immediately shared it and were like - ''I knew it, this razor is trash even though they promised that the issues are going to be removed''.

I know from experience that when people pay lots of money for something they would rarely have the balls to admit if they don't like it and will obviously tell others that a cheaper version isn't worth it and so on. I mean, if I pay $250 + for a razor and it has issues and even if doesn't and I still don't like how it shaves would be hard admitting it.

In the end it comes down to what people think about it. I haven't shaved yet, but so far I don't see any issues and i'm satisfied beyond my initial expectations and unless the razor doesn't shave as good as I want it to or there's some hidden defects or whatever, nothing is going to change that.
I REALLY hope you love it. I want everybody to enjoy it. Kevy has said, on video and in this post, the pearl gives him a better shave than his rex ambassador. But I get amazing shaves with my rex ambassador (I bought it for $174 on RE black Friday sale). I used it this morning with a wizamet for a very smooth and comfortable shave, even on high settings. 9.5/10 times i reach for this razor over my many other nice razors.
proxy.php

I do hope it shaves great. It would be a shame if it doesn't, because I would have a hard time selling it, since people are aware that some Flexi razors have issues and they would assume that's that reason why i'm trying to sell mine. The are lots of great razors that are made in the US, but for some reason most websites charge 40-50$ or more for shipping which is at least as twice as much than the post office charges and that makes them even more expensive.

I’m a Rex owner and I’ve had issues with mine which I’ve documented in detail here. I bought mine directly from them, sent it back for repair after first receiving it and my issues continue. They last promised to send me a new knob a few months ago. Imagine paying all that money and going through my experience.

I’m a Rex owner and I’ve had issues with mine which I’ve documented in detail here. I bought mine directly from them, sent it back for repair after first receiving it and my issues continue. They last promised to send me a new knob a few months ago. Imagine paying all that money and going through my experience.

I've heard from others that Razor Emporium isn't very good at fixing serious issues. Not many, but some people have problems after sending their vintage razors for tune up or revamp services. I have a razor which i'm going to send for revam at some point, but after reading some horror stories how not only didn't they fix the issues, they return some of the razors with marks and scratches, I don't think i'm going to risk sending it to Razor Emporium. They also tend to stop responding to emails after some time if you bother them with your issues or at least that's what others say. I hope they fix your issue.

I am glad you got your razor finally. Looking foward to your shave review !

As soon as someone talks Rex Ambassador I feel the hole in my pocket and my heart. Bad copy of N series. Sent once - sat on their shelf before being sent back after endless reminders for an update and then it was just the same. Any emails post that were ignored.

I jogged the spring a few times and some other antics (Whatever anyone said would fix it) and now I can shave decently till around setting 3 after which it goes out of whack again !

My V1 Pearl was good and no issues but I did find the spring a bit tacky and guessed that some users would have an issue and the spring needed more tension.

V2 Flexi is what I wanted when I paid so much money for a CNC milled adjustable razor for the REX Ambassador.

Anyone who says its a cheap copy is denying themselves a good razor and thats their problem as well as their right. Rex Ambassador is a well made razor - but the vendor doesnt stand behind their product and is pretty busy nowadays making shave videos of their own product vs a "cheap clone' and then announcing that their product won the bout !

How can I take the razor apart? I want to see what's inside. If it's not that complicated to put it together of course.

I am glad you got your razor finally. Looking foward to your shave review !

As soon as someone talks Rex Ambassador I feel the hole in my pocket and my heart. Bad copy of N series. Sent once - sat on their shelf before being sent back after endless reminders for an update and then it was just the same. Any emails post that were ignored.

I jogged the spring a few times and some other antics (Whatever anyone said would fix it) and now I can shave decently till around setting 3 after which it goes out of whack again !

My V1 Pearl was good and no issues but I did find the spring a bit tacky and guessed that some users would have an issue and the spring needed more tension.

V2 Flexi is what I wanted when I paid so much money for a CNC milled adjustable razor for the REX Ambassador.

Anyone who says its a cheap copy is denying themselves a good razor and thats their problem as well as their right. Rex Ambassador is a well made razor - but the vendor doesnt stand behind their product and is pretty busy nowadays making shave videos of their own product vs a "cheap clone' and then announcing that their product won the bout !

I’ve had my Rex for a few years now. Don’t shave with it much if at all really anymore. I ended up getting my first Gibbs after owning the Rex and bought more Gibbs razors for my boys.

Not inclined to get any more RE products for my boys after what I’ve been through.

My Rex Ambassador is by far my favorite razor. At least so far, I like it better than the Wolfman WR2. The Wolf is beautiful but not as consistent a performer. I ALWAYS get a great shave with the Rex. That said, I think the Flexi is a great buy! I’m thinking of picking one up just to use as a travel razor so I don’t have to throw the Rex in a toiletry bag. I’m sure you’ll have a great experience with the Flexi and if the alignment is a little off, I doubt it will affect the shaving experience at all! The haters should maybe consider, it doesn’t have to be a Rex Ambassador versus Pearl Flexi conflict. Hell Kevy also said he thought the Flexi was smoother than the Rex!

My Rex Ambassador is by far my favorite razor. At least so far, I like it better than the Wolfman WR2. The Wolf is beautiful but not as consistent a performer. I ALWAYS get a great shave with the Rex. That said, I think the Flexi is a great buy! I’m thinking of picking one up just to use as a travel razor so I don’t have to throw the Rex in a toiletry bag. I’m sure you’ll have a great experience with the Flexi and if the alignment is a little off, I doubt it will affect the shaving experience at all! The haters should maybe consider, it doesn’t have to be a Rex Ambassador versus Pearl Flexi conflict. Hell Kevy also said he thought the Flexi was smoother than the Rex!

Having an adjustable razor for travel is a good idea. You never know if you're going to need a mild or more aggresive shave and it's much better to have one razor than getting 2 or more.

I'm assuming they went with either thread lock, or a spring clip. I know, I want to know too,but really don't want to go wrenching on it too much, just for curiosity's sake.:ninja:
There is a YouTube vid on the disassembled razor. I think it was Kevy’s vid on the first release.

Rex ambassador is my absolute favorite as well

The Rex N series innards up to current production is pretty close to the Gibbs in design minus the blade posts and other small details. This was good on RE’s part because the Gibbs design is very solid and works flawlessly. RE decided though to make some changes to the Gibbs design in their first release M series shaft that they had to fix. My guess is that maybe they tried this to ease cost production or maybe to be creative. Basically the Rex M series had a different shaft without a shoulder to accept the spring. Instead of a shoulder, it just had a thin plate to secure the spring on the baseplate end. The M had uneven gap issues on some of these razors along with loose adjustment dials so that is why they went with a larger Gibbs shoulder design with N and beyond.

RE also put a much better spring starting with the N series and went to a thicker guard, again closer to the old Gibbs design.

I’ve seen a few disassembly videos of the Flexi and they also used the shoulder shaft. This is good, but you have to have the right balance with the spring. 2 ways to fix an uneven gap include simply both putting on a beefier spring and possibly increasing the size of the shaft. The downside to increasing the shaft diameter too much is trying to balance this with having an adequate spring. Too much of one or the other causes issues. The shaft and the spring that surrounds it has to fit in the casing.

I commented on one of these posts about one Flexi disassembly video in particular. To make a long story short, the narrator didn’t like the shoulder design and he demonstrated a supposed design flaw by moving the shaft up and down in the casing without the spring affixed. I guess he was trying to show there was too much space between the shaft and the casing. Well without the spring on the shaft in that demonstration, of course there is.

I shaved today with the Flexi on the setting 3 and I really like it. It doesn't feel aggressive and it glides really well on the skin but in the same time it's very efficient and easy to use. There's no blade chatter, which is good and the weight is also very nice. I need to shave at least 2-3 more times to have my final word, but so far i'm really impressed.

The only issues that I have right now is that the adjustment knob is a bit stiff and it requires some force to move and also when I shake the razor I can hear some rattling. Not sure if it's the spring or the retention clip inside the handle or something else.

I've got mine and I was surprised when a guy from UPS called me and said there's a package from India for me I've ordered mine 7-8 days ago, because I had trouble with my Paypal account and I had to pay through Western Union. The razor looks nice and the fact that it comes with a solid stand, 100 blades, 2 soap samples (which are enough for at least a few months of shaving) and a small synthetic brush are making the deal even more sweet. For around 100$ + shipping is a really nice deal. The people from Pearl really know how to satisfy their customers.

I will shave with mine tomorrow, because I shaved yesterday and with 24 hours of beard growth the test would not be conclusive enough and also check it for any misalignments, but so far I don't see any issues.
NICE! Glad you got it. 👍

Top Bottom