What's new

Maggard 2 Band or SHD?

I am re-knotting another brush, and this time I plan to use a 24 mm badger knot. I have a Maggard 20 mm 2 band that I put in a Made Rite handle, and I find that knot to be great but just a bit small. So the obvious thing would be to buy the Maggard 24 mm 2 band. OTOH, I have heard so many positive things about the Maggard 2 band SHD that I am wondering if I should give that a try. Has anyone used both? My chief concern about the SHD is flow through. One of the things I did not like about my Duke 3 was that it was difficult to get the brush to release lather. I don't have that problem with the 2 band, and I wonder if the Maggard SHD would also have that issue.

The picture is of a Maggard DIY brush handle with a 24mm SHD knot. IMHO for the money it's one of the best on the market. Super soft face feel with just enough backbone. I have never had a problem with flow thru on this knot.
IMG_2048.jpg

The SHD fan might be my favorite knot ever. I have 3 of them in 22, 24 and 26mm. IMO, Oumo has some very nice knots too, the Manchurian and HMW might be worth a look. Give me a pm if you'd like to try one out but I'm Texas hunting and won't be home until next week.

The SHD fan might be my favorite knot ever. I have 3 of them in 22, 24 and 26mm. IMO, Oumo has some very nice knots too, the Manchurian and HMW might be worth a look. Give me a pm if you'd like to try one out but I'm Texas hunting and won't be home until next week.
Thanks so much for that generous offer, but I'm happy to pick one or the other and live with that choice. If I don't choose the SHD now, I'm more than likely to get one soon enough.

How does the SHD compare to a synthetic Tuxedo knot? It's the only brush I have and sometimes I find it a little abrasive depending on the tenderness of my face and if I'm shaving every or every other day. I'm strongly considering getting a higher quality brush and everyone seems to gush about the SHD.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This is my 26mm SHD. I set it 17mm deep into the handle (the usual, I think, is 15mm). It's a lovely, soft badger. [Handle is bog oak to which I applied pure tung oil, just in case sitting around for thousands of years in liquid didn't make it water resistant enough].
View attachment 1228411
I wish I had set mine at 17mm deep, I think that would be perfect, I put a rubber o-ring on mine to simulate that depth.

Top Bottom