What's new

Gold Dollar Razors Catalog? Website?

Is there somewhere that shows all the Gold Dollars made/available? I keep seeing models I have never seen before and would like to see them all "side by side" so to speak. And maybe own 1 of each lol. I recently seen one listed as a 1996 but looked more like a hybrid between the 1996 and the w59.

Attachments

• 1996.jpg
    1996.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 29
Stumbled across this. I guess the 1996 is a "nickname" of the P81 if I remember correctly. Anyone r3ecall one not listed here?

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 192

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
The one in the OP is a W81 I believe, but the resident expert is brother @Slash McCoy - give him a shout and all your questions will be answered. Eh, at least about Gold Dollars!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Is there somewhere that shows all the Gold Dollars made/available? I keep seeing models I have never seen before and would like to see them all "side by side" so to speak. And maybe own 1 of each lol. I recently seen one listed as a 1996 but looked more like a hybrid between the 1996 and the w59.

I don't like that humpback model. I thought I would but I don't. It is too much effort to keep the edge torqued down onto hone or strop. Honestly I really like the P81, 208, and 66, but for one reason or the other I don't care to mess with any others.

The company is not very diligent at marketing. Staff are not very good at English and they use a lot of boilerplate for answering inquiries. There isn't a lot of slick ad copy. With a little effort you can track down pics of most models on Alibaba, Aliexpress, and fleabay. I think the company actually doesn't want pics that they use online to be too revealing. End-on shots of the razors are rare. They don't like to show how thick the scales are, and they are rightfully ashamed of the flat spacers where a wedge should be. They are likewise very secretive about the steel. My direct inquiries only got vague answers. Secret formula known only within the factory. No, not junk steel. Just secret. LOL! My advice is just stick with the three most popular models and if you have to pick just one to hone and use, make it the P81, and for modding, pick the 66. Now if you want to collect every model, that's a different thing. Some models apparently have never made it out of the warehouse or factory. Some are very rare. They tend to overprice the ones with the big clunky heavy scales and the horror show grinding. They also severely overprice the stainless models.

By the way, I have received samples, mostly garbage, that do not seem to have an actual model number. There are a lot of variations in markings and scales, too. Making sense of the entire product line would be an impossible task. But maybe that would be perfect for an obsessive compulsive collector, I don't know.

I don't like that humpback model. I thought I would but I don't. It is too much effort to keep the edge torqued down onto hone or strop. Honestly I really like the P81, 208, and 66, but for one reason or the other I don't care to mess with any others.

The company is not very diligent at marketing. Staff are not very good at English and they use a lot of boilerplate for answering inquiries. There isn't a lot of slick ad copy. With a little effort you can track down pics of most models on Alibaba, Aliexpress, and fleabay. I think the company actually doesn't want pics that they use online to be too revealing. End-on shots of the razors are rare. They don't like to show how thick the scales are, and they are rightfully ashamed of the flat spacers where a wedge should be. They are likewise very secretive about the steel. My direct inquiries only got vague answers. Secret formula known only within the factory. No, not junk steel. Just secret. LOL! My advice is just stick with the three most popular models and if you have to pick just one to hone and use, make it the P81, and for modding, pick the 66. Now if you want to collect every model, that's a different thing. Some models apparently have never made it out of the warehouse or factory. Some are very rare. They tend to overprice the ones with the big clunky heavy scales and the horror show grinding. They also severely overprice the stainless models.

By the way, I have received samples, mostly garbage, that do not seem to have an actual model number. There are a lot of variations in markings and scales, too. Making sense of the entire product line would be an impossible task. But maybe that would be perfect for an obsessive compulsive collector, I don't know.
I have delusions of grandeur like a 7 day set of 66's. 1 of each model. Rescale a 66. Mod a 66. How much of it will come to fruition idk. I am also eventually going to get more vintage. Lots of ideas and less time and money to devote to it at the moment. I also have the rare desire to have but 1 razor and use it to a nub.

Thanks for your input and info. I now have the 66 the 666 and a 59 on it's way from overseas. I am interested to try the smile of the 59. Something I have not yet experienced and robescu or however you spell it flattening the smile out has me intrigued to form my opinion of it.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I have delusions of grandeur like a 7 day set of 66's. 1 of each model. Rescale a 66. Mod a 66. How much of it will come to fruition idk. I am also eventually going to get more vintage. Lots of ideas and less time and money to devote to it at the moment. I also have the rare desire to have but 1 razor and use it to a nub.

Thanks for your input and info. I now have the 66 the 666 and a 59 on it's way from overseas. I am interested to try the smile of the 59. Something I have not yet experienced and robescu or however you spell it flattening the smile out has me intrigued to form my opinion of it.
I tried my first GD W59 with the factory smile after giving it a Method edge. I just didn't enjoy it as much as shaving with my other not-so-happy SR's. I later bread-knifed out the smile, reset the bevel (from 180deg) and again honed it up. I then liked shaving with it very much so put together a matching seven-day set of W59's.
Display.JPG
The W59's excessive (for me) smile may be of benefit for others as it tends to keep the toe and heel away from the skin while shaving. Without the smile it requires more concentration when shaving. I prefer to concentrate a bit more when shaving with the W59.

Gold Dollars are apparently also re-badged and sold under different names. I'm not sure with GD this is, but I'm sure it is one of them.
5 day set opened.jpg

Trentr I had the same thought but went for a 5 day set. Issue is the engraving of the day names costs more than the razors, so I never bothered. Just a lark. While they are adequate and shave well, they don't excite me like my 'nice' rotation. They do reduce the overall wear on the 'nice' set so they are not a total loss.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Yeah they will put your logo on them if you place a big enough order. There are lots of packaging options. If you see a razor that looks an awful lot like a Gold Dollar, it probably is.

If you want days of the week marked on your seven day set, it's not so hard to do it yourself. I haven't kept up with who sells what products and how hard or easy they are to use, but you can print a stencil on a laser printer and then transfer to the razor, fill in any empty spots with a sharpie, and either electrically or chemically etch the markings of your choice. That's got to be way cheaper than sending the razors out for engraving or laser etching. I suggest doing a few practice pieces before your seven set. There are youtube videos out there for this.

I tried my first GD W59 with the factory smile after giving it a Method edge. I just didn't enjoy it as much as shaving with my other not-so-happy SR's. I later bread-knifed out the smile, reset the bevel (from 180deg) and again honed it up. I then liked shaving with it very much so put together a matching seven-day set of W59's.
The W59's excessive (for me) smile may be of benefit for others as it tends to keep the toe and heel away from the skin while shaving. Without the smile it requires more concentration when shaving. I prefer to concentrate a bit more when shaving with the W59.
I feel like a straight edge would line my beard better but we will see. I am excited to try the smile.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I’d like to have some that are re-scaled and sold under any name....
It should be easy enough to sand the "1996" laser etching off the tang of a P81 and rescale it in horn, ebony, G10, camel bone, whatever. Great DIY project for you. Or go with an all-out modification project and enter it in the annual competition. Or stalk the champ and make a crazy generous offer for his prize winner.

Steve56 I did that. The orginal scales were flimsy & warped (blade would catch the scale when closing) so I took some pool decking & made some scales. I used a circular saw, jigsaw & electric hand drill (all on their last legs); I have no wood working ability.

Came out ok & because I soaked the dry decking in Teak oil they have a nice smell. A COVID project!

proxy.php

Top Bottom