What's new

February 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

I'm out...
PAA released something so simultaneously interesting and disgusting I decided I had to try it. I will report back once it's recieved and play at home for the rest of the week.
Edit: I didn't include the product name, it's rocket ramen. A ramen noodle scented soap.
Aw, you were doing so well, but I definitely understand the morbid fascination! Feel free to continue to play along at home and we'll hope to see you in March.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - OBiF
2) CzechCzar - out (2/11: Cella)
3) SharpieB - out (2/7: PIF entry)
4) Sinnbad11 - out (2/23: PAA soap)
5) @B_R_A_D
6) @Jmp63 - Annual
7) @cryhavoc - Annual
8) @‘Bout Time
9) @Doti B
10) @henrickd - Annual
11) @AZBronco
12) @Roedeer
13) @Timeclo
14) Sotiris_A - out (2/21: Balms)
15) Abz88 - out (2/17: Many, many blades)
16) @hopper_64
17) @woodwzrd
18) MaineYooper - out (2/8: Blackbird razor)
19) @FL shaver
20) @Contact_vs_Feedback - Annual
21) @Stuart Ganis
22) @Lee93
23) Rhody - out (2/22: Semogue brush)
24) @pdieten - Annual
25) Chef455 - out (2/22: Timeless plate)
26) @mattps1 - Annual
27) Leverspro - out (2/8: PIF entry)
28) @wmadoty - Annual - OBiF
29) @Tomo
30) @4and20blackbirds
31) @Cino
32) @Owen Bawn
33) @bluesman 7
34) @honeycutt

Still in.

Took @Sinnbad11’s PAA Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly for a test shave. It most definitely is not like PAA’s Mysterium Serum. Not nearly as greasy as serum, lots of menthol in the Star Jelly and it has alcohol. Feels good but I wish it was 90 degrees outside. It seems like a great hot and humid summer day post shave.

Thanks again, Hank, for trading with me. I hope you like the blades. I’m going to be adding some Star Jelly to my restock list. Pretty sure I’ll 3017 this bottle over the summer when the weather turns hot. Since I saw you’re out for Ramen noodle scented soap do you want me to send you some of my PAA Home On The Range soap and/or PAA Cider House 5 in a zip lock?

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “White” (7) - head shaves only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum “White” 1/2 blade (7) - beard and neck trim only
» PAA Atomic Rocket synthetic
» PAA Scentsless CK-6 (unscented) soap
» PAA Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly

proxy.php

Den

Last edited:
Still in.

Took @Sinnbad11’s PAA Boomtown Bay Rum Star Jelly for a test shave. It most definitely is not like PAA’s Mysterium Serum. Not nearly as greasy as serum, lots of menthol in the Star Jelly and it has alcohol. Feels good but I wish it was 90 degrees outside. It seems like a great hot and humid summer day post shave.

Thanks again, Hank, for trading with me. I hope you like the blades. I’m going to be adding some Star Jelly to my restock list. Pretty sure I’ll 3017 this bottle over the summer when the weather turns hot. Since I saw you’re out for Ramen noodle scented soap do you want me to send you some of my PAA Home On The Range soap and/or PAA Cider House 5 in a zip lock?

proxy.php

Den
I appreciate the offer, but I'm too well stocked on PAA as is. Fwiw not all are as mentholated as heavily as that one, I think it could make a nice combo with home on the range though.

Still in.

Thanks again, Hank, for trading with me. I hope you like the blades. I’m going to be adding some Star Jelly to my restock list. Pretty sure I’ll 3017 this bottle over the summer when the weather turns hot. Since I saw you’re out for Ramen noodle scented soap do you want me to send you some of my PAA Home On The Range soap in a zip lock?

proxy.php

I’m glad the star jelly is working out for you 👍

I have 2 different star jelly’s and really enjoy them, the feel of the menthol and alcohol together as well as it not leaving a greasy, heavy feeling on the face. I was very curious about the mysterium serum as I need a new unscented balm to replace the one I had and was considering this. The info about it being greasy helps, thanks. I have the B&M Seville and LGC balm and they feel really nice, so I think I will eventually pick up their unscented version and give it a whirl

Still in. SOTD - 23 FEB 2021

SOTD 02232021.jpg

Pretty good shave today. I tried the Personna Platinum for the second time and enjoyed it more than the first time. Still felt a bit tuggy on the ATG pass. It's probably in the middle of the road for me in terms of blades. Slick soap and soft brush. Good amount of sting with the alum but a nice and close DFS result.

Still in.

Preshave: Hot washcloth, no oil
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: GC.68 OC, Astra SP #4
Post-shave: Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Got a much better ATG result with the .68 open comb this time: a near-BBS, let down by missing the usual bit under my chin.

That's not any razor's fault, since it happens with all of mine. I need to break that problem out, and defeat it systematically.

Everywhere else, I was pleased with the good ratio between lots of smoothness and hardly any irritation.

Nivea 2-Phase Balm is good for an alcohol sting followed by balmlike effect, without residual greasiness, but it might be a discontinued product.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I am out and I'm proud, as they say. I'm just after ordering this brush. This will be Brad Sears last 26mm fan brush- he's apparently going exclusively to 28 & 30mm. I always wanted a Brad Sears, I love the Eagle shape handle, and 26mm is as big as I'd ever go, so it was now or never. My first ever bespoke custom brush. I can't decide whether it looks more like a glass of Guinness or like an Anglican clergyman. Actually, with the hourglass shape it looks like an Anglican clergywoman. That's it! I'll call this brush "The Vicar of Dibley!"

This isn't really a failure- I am doing these restraints so that I can make purchases like this in a sane, responsible way, and not out of compulsion.
Gus26_Ebony_Lt Lavender_Estate (1).jpg

Last edited:
I am out and I'm proud, as they say. I'm just after ordering this brush. This will be Brad Sears last 26mm fan brush- he's apparently going exclusively to 28 & 30mm. I always wanted a Brad Sears, I love the Eagle shape handle, and 26mm is as big as I'd ever go, so it was now or never. My first ever bespoke custom brush. I can't decide whether it looks more like a glass of Guinness or like an Anglican clergyman. Actually, with the hourglass shape it looks like an Anglican clergywoman. That's it! I'll call this brush "The Vicar of Dibley!"

This isn't really a failure- I am doing these restraints so that I can make purchases like this in a sane, responsible way, and not out of compulsion.
View attachment 1227773
Beautiful brush. You went out in style. 👍

Owen Bawn

Beautiful brush. You went out in style. 👍
Thanks. Actually it is my wife's idea. She is going to Massachusetts for 7 weeks, and won't be here for my birthday. We looked at brushes together on the laptop the other night, and she thought I should get the ebony Eagle 3 in Manchurian, but I couldn't justify the price- even without the VAT it's $350 USD. I love Simpsons but I'm sorry, that's a crazy price for an Eagle. I've always admired the Gus from Brad Sears, and when I contacted them and learned they have only 1 26mm fan and won't be getting any more the decision was easy, and besides it is over $150 less than the Eagle Manchurian.

Thanks. Actually it is my wife's idea. She is going to Massachusetts for 7 weeks, and won't be here for my birthday. We looked at brushes together on the laptop the other night, and she thought I should get the ebony Eagle 3 in Manchurian, but I couldn't justify the price- even without the VAT it's $350 USD. I love Simpsons but I'm sorry, that's a crazy price for an Eagle. I've always admired the Gus from Brad Sears, and when I contacted them and learned they have only 1 26mm fan and won't be getting any more the decision was easy, and besides it is over $150 less than the Eagle Manchurian.
I have been looking at that Eagle as well. A custom Chubby 2 Silvertip is cheaper, so as will go that route.

View attachment 1227773
That is a beautiful brush, "The Vicar of Dibley" reference is great!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
It was your wife's idea and you looked at brushes together? Man you are one lucky son of a gun! A fabulous new brush, your good lady takes a keen interest in your hobby, and she encourages extravagant purchases! Some people have all the luck 👍

Owen Bawn

It was your wife's idea and you looked at brushes together? Man you are one lucky son of a gun! A fabulous new brush, your good lady takes a keen interest in your hobby, and she encourages extravagant purchases! Some people have all the luck 👍
She actually appreciates what I have done to discipline myself in the area of spending money over the past year. A year ago she would not have encouraged me to buy a new brush (as I needed no encouragement).

Top Bottom