What's new

Muhle Rocca Version 4

Such a beautiful satin finish. Any ideas why Muhle can do this at such a reasonable cost, yet no one else seems to want to go this finishing route?

I was thinking more CNC machined razors. (I do like the looks of the blue and the gray 3ONE6 razors, but the issues with the handle scared me off.)
The 3ONE6 head is stainless but it is MIM not CNC if that matters to you. The knurled handle, however, is all CNC stainless steel. Here is the description from West Coast Shaving's site:

This 3ONE6 razor is constructed with stainless steel in three individually machined parts just in the handle. The collar, knurled grip, and end cap are all CNC-machined for exceptional precision and consistency. The head is comprised of stainless steel using the latest MIM (Metal Injection Molding) technology. The head is even smoother and easier to use than the much-heralded 89 due to a wider variety of shaving angles, more precise alignment of the two part head, and exceptional clamping of the blade to prevent moving, flexing, or bending.

The middle section of the handle is stainless steel with a lovely knurling that provided grip in wet environments. Unlike the anodized options in this newly designed razor, this handle option is clean, classic steel.

I write to Muhle and they answers:

"Many thanks for your message. We had some modifications after the launch of ROCCA. Now the head of ROCCA is made completely of 316L stainless steel. People assume that there is a new head V4 which is not the case. V3 is milled by CNC and there has not been another change since then (beginning 2019). So we only produce one version since the beginning of 2019.

The handle is made of 3 pieces and assembled in our manufacture. The black middle part is made of brass.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any further question.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,

I write to Muhle and they answers:

"Many thanks for your message. We had some modifications after the launch of ROCCA. Now the head of ROCCA is made completely of 316L stainless steel. People assume that there is a new head V4 which is not the case. V3 is milled by CNC and there has not been another change since then (beginning 2019). So we only produce one version since the beginning of 2019.

The handle is made of 3 pieces and assembled in our manufacture. The black middle part is made of brass.

Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any further question.

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards,

Yeah ,right ...
There’s no V4 according to Muhle,eh?

Yeah ,right ...
There’s no V4 according to Muhle,eh?

I posted about this earlier (but I don't think it was in this thread); when I contacted Muhle about replacing my MIM V3 with a new CNC V4, they sent me the new CNC head but the invoice clearly labeled it as V3. I believe that we here on this Forum (and maybe others elsewhere) have created one extra version. Perhaps there was a modification of the post, for example, that we have considered a new version but which Muhle did not.

Copied from the very first post of this thread:

V1 = MIM (Metal Injection Molding) top cap and base plate.

V2 = MIM top cap and MIM base plate (MIM circular flow marks polished off the underside of the top cap) blade posts and centre post are glued / welded onto the top cap rather than a complete MIM mold, as V1.

V3 = MIM top cap (complete mold with visible MIM circular flow marks on underside of top cap; no glued / welded centre post or blade posts) with CNC machined 316L stainless steel base plate. Base plate re-designed - now with narrow centre channel.

V4 = CNC machined 316L stainless steel top cap and CNC machined 316L stainless steel base plate. (I am assuming "CNC machined top cap" includes the centre post and blade posts in the machining; but I do wonder if my assumption is correct after the surprise at how V2 heads were manufactured).

I had all the first three versions and was given for a week the fourth one.
All had the differences stated above.

German engineering pride !
They just won't admit that they had to change the design four times to reach the goal
of a razor that does not fall apart and has minimum tolerances .
And judging from the scandal of VW and their gas emission reports few years ago ,oh yeah
,even the german makers /producers they do know how to lie .

Last edited:
I've seen videos like Mark's from "friendship shaves" mentioning blade alignment problems even with the new version they shipped as a replacement and causing a more aggressive side than the other side. Did someone happen to him? It seems that this product is the only one with problems since its presentation. Mark mentions staying better with the R41 and passed the Rocca.

I've seen videos like Mark's from "friendship shaves" mentioning blade alignment problems even with the new version they shipped as a replacement and causing a more aggressive side than the other side. Did someone happen to him? It seems that this product is the only one with problems since its presentation. Mark mentions staying better with the R41 and passed the Rocca.
My copy of the Rocca R94 (recent CNC machined head) does not have any blade alignment issues. Not at all.

Thank you for your posts. I have V1 with black brass handle and I am very happy to use since 2018 with no issues and now I ordered V4 R94 plain all steel. Recrntly saw that black brass was replaced with black stainless steell according to the info at their site. Let's see what is the difference between them.

I got my Rocca one month ago and it is now my favorite D.E. razor. No quality control issues at all. For me, the perfect combination of efficiency and comfort. In fact, I just ordered a second one.

To Muhle Rocca owners,
Can you do me a small favour,please?
I would like to know the diameter
( preferably in millimetres) of
the circular cut-out at the bottom
of the Rocca baseplate,
where the handle’s built-in
“washer” attaches .
Please ,if you are able ,
measure as precise as possible.

Thank you in advance !

Last edited:
rocca.jpg

it's 11mm

Does anyone know what the blade gap is on the Rocca? Or maybe compare it to a Karve or Rockwell plate?

I was wondering this myself, I know blade gaps aren't the be all end all marker of aggressiveness but it still gives one a good idea of how a razor might shave for them, drives me nuts that some makers are so damn stubborn about providing that information or give vague "ratings" on aggressiveness. Regardless, whatever the Rocca is, it's perfect for me, in terms of performance it's my #1

Top Bottom